Author Topic: Bring on the Bison! YSU vs. ND ST. 11/14 2pm.  (Read 114789 times)

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bring on the Bison! YSU vs. ND ST. 11/14 2pm.
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »
Ruiz had a NDSU offer, so it'll be fun to see how he stacks up.
I'm thinking you will trot out your running QB as NDSU has had some troubles with that.
3 days away, lets get this party started!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2015, 04:43:29 PM »
Ruiz had a NDSU offer, so it'll be fun to see how he stacks up.
I'm thinking you will trot out your running QB as NDSU has had some troubles with that.
3 days away, lets get this party started!

Ruiz is hurt Lake, but he has been seeing more playing time the past 2-weeks. When he is healthy, he is the top all-around back in the conference. Shorter & hides well, hits like a ton of bricks and good speed. Not the biggest, or the fastest, or the strongest ...but the best.  He cuts well against the grain and has great vision. He is the complete package. You will like him. Or I hope that you don't ;)

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11761538

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11761546

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2015, 06:11:23 PM »

3. I also like the mention of our crowd. Well I have two things to say there.
- We should take notice that someone outside of Youngstown has mentioned & get our butts in the seats.
- Those announcers should realize that 75% of our fan base has never even heard of NDSU. So who we are playing is as much (if not more) of a factor in the low turn-out, than our own team's performance.

I will take that one step further and say that in a normal season ...where we are in the post-season ...NDSU will still be the second-lowest turnout...behind USD. Further yet, I would bet that OVER 90% of the fans (if YSU were to sell out all 21k+ seats) would NOT be able to tell you that NDSU has won the past 4-titles, or even more than 1. Again it is the talk of a self-absorbed group of announcers.

The last time they played here a couple of their fans sat next to me, they were amazed that more people did not come to the game, if only because we were playing them. They do think highly of themselves. And I agree that most folks in this area do not care about them and most teams in the league. And yes could not name the past 4 NC winners

ok. so you & I-AA guy both said this now.  I don't agree.   NDSU has been on ESPN at least 10+ times in last 4 years and had ESPN Gameday on campus the past 2 years.  Im pretty sure even college football fans in Youngstown know about NDSU.

Lake that was not so much a hit on NDSU as a statement about FCS. Maybe things are different in ND but when we had our run in the 90's we were feeling pretty good about ourselves, assumed that EVERYONE knew about YSU football. NOT! Hey YSU just won the NC, that's nice but who do the buckeyes play next?

FCS always has been, currently is and most likely always will be regarded as small time, most people just do not take it seriously, fact. YSU, GSU, Appy you folks, all the same, most people do not care

As far as the league, hey it is a great league, but most OH and PA folks just do not care about most of the schools. Iowa and the Dakotas may as well be on the moon, people just do not get excited about them.

To be honest I would be surprised if many of your fans get excited about playing YSU

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:13:23 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2015, 06:20:59 PM »
Lakes,

Two things: 1. Probably safer at the hotel despite how cheap property is in Youngstown.
2. Anyone anywhere who follows FCS knows who the Bison are. However, YSU has a hard time having its own "fans" care about it and follow YSU football. I know of people who would wish the penguins well and even come to games, but only if the buckeyes aren't playing then.

The mentality of alot of people is that if its not FBS, you're trying to get me to go watch a junior varsity football game over a varsity team. WE know that is a correct viewpoint, but that is how THEY feel. AND aside from Cincinnati and Ohio State, many of the Ohio FBS teams have very little following. Pretty much EVERYONE is a buckeye fan and would watch Ohio State over YSU, but claim to be YSU fans as well. I know YSU students that really support the team, but said if we had played Ohio State this year "WE would have been killed and I would have cheered for the buckeyes." Its hard to explain to you probably because in North Dakota all you have to choose from for football is NDSU or North Dakota, and well thats not much of a choice  ;)

Offline NDSUSR

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »

Can't even count on the snow to help us as you guys seem to thrive in it.

You might get a kick out of this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOXkT107x2E

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2015, 09:16:01 PM »
Anybody out there remember the snow bowl? I think it was against Middle Tennessee. They just kept shoveling to see where we were. Then about once each quarter they brought out a plow. I remember they hand drew a courtesy of Stambaugh's sign

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2015, 08:05:28 AM »

This is great, thanks for posting.

Offline NDSUSR

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2015, 12:31:54 PM »

This is great, thanks for posting.

I was at that game... for the first half anyway.
Attendance for the previous weeks game was 10,500
That game was 2,800.

It was hilarious to watch.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2015, 12:27:47 AM »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
NDSU rb king Frazier (ex Nebraska player) isn't too fond of BO....lol

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3880862-ndsus-frazier-gets-chance-show-his-new-opportunity-his-old-head-coach

Does he need a hug?  What would take away the butthurt that mean ol' Bo gave him?

Dirty laundry in public?  What's he going to do when his boss doesn't promote him and tell him what a special and unique snowflake he is?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Buford

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2015, 10:25:52 AM »
Bison fan here, needed to stop over and say hi. YSU is one of my favorite games of the year. YSU always makes me nervous. I'd love to make it back to Youngstown. One of the most "interesting" experiences of my life happened there. At any rate, have fun at the game everyone!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2015, 10:28:37 AM »
Bison fan here, needed to stop over and say hi. YSU is one of my favorite games of the year. YSU always makes me nervous. I'd love to make it back to Youngstown. One of the most "interesting" experiences of my life happened there. At any rate, have fun at the game everyone!

A cliffhanger in your first post? Well done!

Do share.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Buford

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2015, 10:52:37 AM »
A cliffhanger in your first post? Well done!

Do share.

Haha, here goes: In 2005 I was driving from Fargo to D.C. and was looking for a place to stay for the night. After passing through Cleveland and thinking I would get knifed after I witnessed someone jacking a CD player in a parking garage, I saw an exit for Youngstown. I thought, "hey YSU has a good school and football program, I bet this is a good place."

So, I took the Youngstown exit and headed for downtown. I couldn't find a hotel anywhere. Well, I just start driving around and wind up in some very dark residential neighborhoods that look abandoned. Now, bear in mind, this was my first trip off the plains and I had a lot to learn about life.

As I am driving around I notice some car is following me. Now I'm starting to get nervous because it's just my cousin and me in a strange city far from home. Well we get to a stoplight and the guy pulls up next to us and rolls down his window. His first question: "Hey you guys want any pills?" - No thanks! "How about some weed?" - No, we're good! "Ok, then how about some p*ussy?" This got our attention. We wanted to know more. -What do you have? We ask.

Dude turns on his dome light to reveal a blonde, brunette and a red head. We couldn't believe it. We did regretfully turn down the offer and decided maybe we weren't ready for Youngstown. We saw a cop parked at a gas station so thought we would fuel up there. Imagine our surprise when he was taking bong hits with a couple of kids in front of his car.

So that is my Youngstown story. I am not a fan of posting on other fans' boards, but this experience left me with a soft spot for your city. This is my one and only time I have been there. I can't wait to go back. You can also understand why YSU concerns me every game, as I now associate that city with missed opportunities.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2015, 11:09:45 AM »
Go Guins!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!