Author Topic: Bring on the Bison! YSU vs. ND ST. 11/14 2pm.  (Read 115931 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Bring on the Bison! YSU vs. ND ST. 11/14 2pm.
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2015, 06:27:02 PM »
I've said it once and I'll say it again, I like Davis more than Wells for his abilities, but at this point I feel a lot more confident with Wells at the helm. Any stats you are throwing out are hard to compare. Wells has gotten 90% of the snaps this year.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 08:34:23 PM »
Thank god Pelini is the coach and not you Ricky Davis For QB1 lovers.  We had a QB with Davis skill set last year and he is at Slippery Rock.  Last time I checked the Bison are averaging over 300 yds a game running the Ball the past 3 games.  If we don't stop that it doesn't matter if Aaron Rodgers is our QB.  The offensive and defensive lines are going to be the key in this game if we can get push on both sides we have a shot.  We all had this penciled as a loss to begin with and we need to stop blaming whoever for the loss if that happens  Pelini blames himself not the players it's a team sport not an individual sport and if we block tackle and run and win the special teams battle we don't need our QB to be superman.  Just like during the JT years  if the team does the basics and all 11 execute good things will happen.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 08:44:30 PM »

3. I also like the mention of our crowd. Well I have two things to say there.
- We should take notice that someone outside of Youngstown has mentioned & get our butts in the seats.
- Those announcers should realize that 75% of our fan base has never even heard of NDSU. So who we are playing is as much (if not more) of a factor in the low turn-out, than our own team's performance.

I will take that one step further and say that in a normal season ...where we are in the post-season ...NDSU will still be the second-lowest turnout...behind USD. Further yet, I would bet that OVER 90% of the fans (if YSU were to sell out all 21k+ seats) would NOT be able to tell you that NDSU has won the past 4-titles, or even more than 1. Again it is the talk of a self-absorbed group of announcers.

The last time they played here a couple of their fans sat next to me, they were amazed that more people did not come to the game, if only because we were playing them. They do think highly of themselves. And I agree that most folks in this area do not care about them and most teams in the league. And yes could not name the past 4 NC winners
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:45:30 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 08:53:37 PM »
That video.

1. This is FAR from our super bowl. How arrogant can you be to even say that? Even if we had 5 or more losses, this would not be our super-bowl. This is senior day, we would have the seniors in all game. We have to win 4-in-a-row to even be mentioned as a possible post-season candidate. NDSU happens to be game #3.

2. Talk about their players from Nebraska. Do they even care that Pelini is at YSU? Do you think that their HC is even going to mention anything about that? What kind of positiove mentlity can you develop by saying "Hey ...Pelini thought you sucked so bad he did not even recruit you". What kind of HS mentality are those two guys? Hey I hope their coach does talk extensively about Pelini not recruitng them, that is less time to talk about our team.

- We should take notice that someone outside of Youngstown has mentioned & get our butts in the seats.
- Those announcers should realize that 75% of our fan base has never even heard of NDSU. So who we are playing is as much (if not more) of a factor in the low turn-out, than our own team's performance.

I will take that one step further and say that in a normal season ...where we are in the post-season ...NDSU will still be the second-lowest turnout...behind USD. Further yet, I would bet that OVER 90% of the fans (if YSU were to sell out all 21k+ seats) would NOT be able to tell you that NDSU has won the past 4-titles, or even more than 1. Again it is the talk of a self-absorbed group of announcers.

Regarding your 3rd point, in your opinion which two games would be the top two turnouts in a normal season with playoffs?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 09:30:44 PM »
Thank god Pelini is the coach and not you Ricky Davis For QB1 lovers.  We had a QB with Davis skill set last year and he is at Slippery Rock.  Last time I checked the Bison are averaging over 300 yds a game running the Ball the past 3 games.  If we don't stop that it doesn't matter if Aaron Rodgers is our QB.  The offensive and defensive lines are going to be the key in this game if we can get push on both sides we have a shot.  We all had this penciled as a loss to begin with and we need to stop blaming whoever for the loss if that happens  Pelini blames himself not the players it's a team sport not an individual sport and if we block tackle and run and win the special teams battle we don't need our QB to be superman.  Just like during the JT years  if the team does the basics and all 11 execute good things will happen.

Lol, don't compare Davis to Nania. Please god don't do that lol.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »
That video.

1. This is FAR from our super bowl. How arrogant can you be to even say that? Even if we had 5 or more losses, this would not be our super-bowl. This is senior day, we would have the seniors in all game. We have to win 4-in-a-row to even be mentioned as a possible post-season candidate. NDSU happens to be game #3.

2. Talk about their players from Nebraska. Do they even care that Pelini is at YSU? Do you think that their HC is even going to mention anything about that? What kind of positiove mentlity can you develop by saying "Hey ...Pelini thought you sucked so bad he did not even recruit you". What kind of HS mentality are those two guys? Hey I hope their coach does talk extensively about Pelini not recruitng them, that is less time to talk about our team.

Regarding your 3rd point, in your opinion which two games would be the top two turnouts in a normal season with playoffs?

Opener and homecoming. So I guess it could be NDSU.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2015, 07:25:54 AM »
  Many great points and a good discussion here under this topic.  We have an entire generation of fans who only know mediocre football, for some, 1997 or even 1999 was a long time ago.   The student fan base is small, and we are an aging community, where many can't or won't go sit at a football game for 3 hours.  Realistic expectation for attendance with a good team should be 10-12 thousand.

As for QBS, Ricky Davis is a D-2 QB, period.   Pelini wants a QB who can also run, Wells cannot, so I do believe next years QB is not on the roster.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2015, 11:32:45 AM »
  Many great points and a good discussion here under this topic.  We have an entire generation of fans who only know mediocre football, for some, 1997 or even 1999 was a long time ago.   The student fan base is small, and we are an aging community, where many can't or won't go sit at a football game for 3 hours.  Realistic expectation for attendance with a good team should be 10-12 thousand.

As for QBS, Ricky Davis is a D-2 QB, period.   Pelini wants a QB who can also run, Wells cannot, so I do believe next years QB is not on the roster.

Hahahahaha. a D-2 QB? Jesus. That's the funniest thing I've heard all year on this board.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2015, 12:10:49 PM »

Hahahahaha. a D-2 QB? Jesus. That's the funniest thing I've heard all year on this board.
[/quote]
What's so funny, you don't think he can play at D-2 either?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 12:15:59 PM »

The last time they played here a couple of their fans sat next to me, they were amazed that more people did not come to the game, if only because we were playing them. They do think highly of themselves. And I agree that most folks in this area do not care about them and most teams in the league. And yes could not name the past 4 NC winners

ok. so you & I-AA guy both said this now.  I don't agree.   NDSU has been on ESPN at least 10+ times in last 4 years and had ESPN Gameday on campus the past 2 years.  Im pretty sure even college football fans in Youngstown know about NDSU.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »
Yes we know about you, and frankly my dear, we don't give a damn.  And we don't give a damn for the whole states of the Dakotas.  (Or that other useless frozen tundra state up north) I have no idea why we split up two homogeneous lumps of wasteland into 2 states giving you 4 US Senators vs the great heartland state of Ohio.  Based on population we should have 15 senators!  (and CA 48!)  I say, "let's go back to 49 and have only Dakota!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2015, 04:02:06 PM »
wait a Youngstown person calling North Dakota a wasteland?  holy cmon dude.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/621-W-Delason-Ave-Youngstown-OH-44511/34847314_zpid/

^^ We were going to get a hotel, but might as well offer $3000 with my oil money this weekend and party here :)

GO BISON!

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2015, 04:02:56 PM »
OK. Back to the game... ;D

will Bo Pelini pull out any tricks for this game?  any new wrinkles?  your thoughts.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2015, 04:22:27 PM »
OK. Back to the game... ;D

will Bo Pelini pull out any tricks for this game?  any new wrinkles?  your thoughts.

No he doesn't do that.  We dis one halfback pass this year and lost the game on a 2 point conversion.  They don't have any fun like that. 

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2015, 04:27:47 PM »
Bison:

I think every coach has a few tricks and wrinkles under his hat, but I doubt that you will see any on Saturday.
For YSU, they have everything to prove and with the injuries, I believe that the focus will be on just playing our game and stopping yours.

Can't even count on the snow to help us as you guys seem to thrive in it.