Author Topic: Just dreaming! How about starting a new Rivalry!  (Read 9611 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Just dreaming! How about starting a new Rivalry!
« on: October 28, 2015, 08:57:23 AM »
Montana (FCS): Montana is looking for a 1 home game in 2016. Open dates are 9/17, 10/8 or possibly 10/1. We are open to paying a guarantee or starting a home and homes series with Montana returning in 2018. If you are interested, please call or email Ryan Martin at 406-243-6926 or ryan.martin@mso.umt.edu.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Just dreaming! How about starting a new Rivalry!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »
We should all email him on behalf of the fans and send st. Francis and bobby Morris cancellation notices.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 12:29:31 PM »
This would be way better then our joint membership with the NEC.  Since we are 2-0 in the NEC (barely), I am still hopeful we can win the NEC autobid.  :D I think we'd have to honor our commitment to them and still pay them (~$30K I think)...which prolly makes it too much of a financial impediment.  On the other hand, Can't is paying $315K to travel 45 minutes by bus....easily worth taking the hit for....and a game fans would be fired up for. 

What is hilarious is one rationale for not playing Can't is we might lose and not make the playoffs....
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:56:25 PM »
This would be way better then our joint membership with the NEC.  Since we are 2-0 in the NEC (barely), I am still hopeful we can win the NEC autobid.  :D I think we'd have to honor our commitment to them and still pay them (~$30K I think)...which prolly makes it too much of a financial impediment.  On the other hand, Can't is paying $315K to travel 45 minutes by bus....easily worth taking the hit for....and a game fans would be fired up for. 

What is hilarious is one rationale for not playing Can't is we might lose and not make the playoffs....

I do not recall that as a reason for not playing them, mostly because of no return game and oh yea they helped keep us out of the almighty mac
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 10:39:55 PM »
If they schedule a game with Kent or Akron & do not make them come here first ...I will scream bloody murder! Along with quite a few of my associates.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:25:38 PM »
We're never playing Akron or Can't.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 09:39:12 AM »
If I were Akron or Kent I certainly wouldn't want to play YSU.  Nothing to gain, much to lose.  Yes, they will pick up a few fans at the game, but how many?  Maybe 200 @ $20?  That's $4K for a university with a well over 1/2 BILLION budget?  Peanuts.  But nobody wants to be 1-A with a loss to a 1-AA school, I wouldn't want to play "down" if I were them. 
The bigger question is what happens to YSU if the "money game" with the "power 5" conferences goes away?  We have a ridiculous amount of travel expense built into a league with most of the teams for 1000-2000 miles away. Frankly I could see a day after Bo and JT when we go limited scholarship and play with Dayton, Robert Morris Duquesne etc. in the Pioneer league.  I believe the net travel would be less (even though I know San Diego and Deland FL are a hike.  (at least they are nicer places for the teams to visit!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 10:40:35 AM »
Dana Balash ‏@DanaBalash21  17h17 hours ago

.@21WFMJSports  I've been told the Youngstown State football team will play at Pitt in 2017. They'll play at West Virginia in 2016.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 10:47:22 AM »
Dana Balash ‏@DanaBalash21  17h17 hours ago

.@21WFMJSports  I've been told the Youngstown State football team will play at Pitt in 2017. They'll play at West Virginia in 2016.
That won't be Big10 money, but it will be a TON compaired to a home game! 
Good to go for 2 years anyway.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 12:57:21 PM »
What aggravates me is the fact that NCAA gave (then) IA an extra week and game with the understanding that IA/FBS teams would schedule a weaker opponent (I-AA). In short the entire reason the IA/FBS got this game was to play I-AA/FCS clubs and give us a chance to recover some expenses.

Now we have two power-conferences that say they will not do this. So why are teams from these conferences allowed to play the extra week/game? I would think that with a play-off that will undoubtedly increase in size, IA/FBS teams would not want this extra game, as the season is probably going to increase by 2-6 weeks very soon.

This being said, I am not (now, nor ever been) in favor of any team playing "up" or "down". YSU playing non-scholarship or partial-scholarship team is fine, as the NCAA classifies them as I-AA/FCS. We should never be playing IA/FBS, D-II, D-III, or NAIA teams.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 01:06:42 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 03:31:04 PM »
1-AA, I agree 100% that FCS opponents are all fine, regardless of scholarship quantities.  They play in the same playoffs!
I also agree in principal with the no up or down, but what about the money?  We draw say 12000 x 6 home dates @ $15 average?   At best maybe 1 M total revenue.   The Big 10 was paying us 600K-650K that is a 60-65% increase in revenue.   We are still going to be down 300,000 from Big 10 playing Pitt or WVA.  Can’t make that up anywhere in FB unless drop scholarships or travel.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 07:36:32 AM »
Obviously we are going to miss that income, should we lose it; as would everyone else. However, the revenue from big-6 conferences only becomes a competitive issue, when one I-AA/FCS club has it and another does not. If teams are not allowed to play outside of their own division, then this would not be an issue.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »
Obviously we are going to miss that income, should we lose it; as would everyone else. However, the revenue from big-6 conferences only becomes a competitive issue, when one I-AA/FCS club has it and another does not. If teams are not allowed to play outside of their own division, then this would not be an issue.

Might not be a competitive issue, but it IS still a money issue.  These far flung conferences destroy potential rivalries and severely run up expenses.  I enjoy going to away games, and haven’t missed a game in Columbus or Pitt, but going to Brookings SD or Fargo ND is ridiculous.  And who the “heck” wants to go to NIU?  Personally I’d love Dayton, Duquesne etc.  and drop this far west stuff.  But I DON’T want to drop back to limited scholarships and not every be nationally competitive again.   This whole system is screwed up if you ask me.  IMO we need another division for 1-AA full scholarship and 1-AA no or limited scholarships.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
Some FCS conferences offer no scholarships, but yet some D2 and NAIA conferences do.  These nonscholly conferences get an autobid while MVFC teams with winning records and high SOS are excluded from the post-season.

The MVFC is routinely ranked higher then the Sun Belt and MAC.

There needs to be modifcation of the Dayton rule, and restructuring of college football.  My suggestion would be P5 in the top division, then G5 and full scholly FCS in the next division, and then everyone else in the third division.  You may have sports one division apart.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »
When the power 5 all stop playing FCS schools, maybe YSU will go play a MAC school instead, or schedule some home and homes with good FCS schools from other conferences.