Author Topic: Losing season  (Read 15312 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Losing season
« on: October 26, 2015, 02:09:06 PM »
Boy, I hate to admit it, but I was wrong..... WAY wrong in pre-season when I projected YSU to go 7-4. Its rare that I miss and the record here reflects  my picks over the years being right most of the time. This year, the team was loaded with talent and SUPPOSEDLY getting   a "great" coach. What could go wrong ? Right ? 

I now view this season finishing with a losing record, 5-6 and may be worse. QB problems ( as I predicted), a D that isn't as good as advertised, injuries on the OL and coaching "questionable".  The league remains a meat grinder and YSU is lucky they played the   weenies early. It could have gotten real ugly. May yet still.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Losing season
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 02:21:37 PM »
I also predicted 7-4 with losses to Pitt, ISUr, SDSU, and NDSU prior to the season.  I thought SDSU was a win after the ISUr game, tho.  Now I agree that 5-6 is very likely as they may split the last four games.

I suppose that w/ the MEAC not fielding playoff teams, a 6-5 could conceivably get in...but doubt it.

It's amazing how accurate Massey is....who has been spot on and predicted a 3-5 MVFC record and has been perfect so far.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:51:52 PM »
Boy, I hate to admit it, but I was wrong..... WAY wrong in pre-season when I projected YSU to go 7-4. Its rare that I miss and the record here reflects  my picks over the years being right most of the time. This year, the team was loaded with talent and SUPPOSEDLY getting   a "great" coach. What could go wrong ? Right ? 

I now view this season finishing with a losing record, 5-6 and may be worse. QB problems ( as I predicted), a D that isn't as good as advertised, injuries on the OL and coaching "questionable".  The league remains a meat grinder and YSU is lucky they played the   weenies early. It could have gotten real ugly. May yet still.

LOL!! You are full of sh**! There is NO talent on this team. 5 years of overrated athletes with no football smarts. YSU has a few good players on both sides of the ball after that probably not even DII.

Stick to predicting not talent evaluation.. That's all,, Carry on  ;)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
Wolford was 15-9 over his last two seasons and left B.P. and his staff plenty to be successful with this season. Bo even said it himself. If he didn't like it he had every opportunity to change it. I refuse to give B.P. a free pass and accept it as a rebuilding year. There have been plenty of first year coaches that have turned very poor programs into contenders the first year. With the history and tradition at YSU this is not acceptable 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 03:37:49 PM »
Wolford was 15-9 over his last two seasons and left B.P. and his staff plenty to be successful with this season. Bo even said it himself. If he didn't like it he had every opportunity to change it. I refuse to give B.P. a free pass and accept it as a rebuilding year. There have been plenty of first year coaches that have turned very poor programs into contenders the first year. With the history and tradition at YSU this is not acceptable

This is a great point ^^ "BUT" I believe that YSU is full of great kids but not great football players,, just not DI MVFC types. The whole culture will need to change to blue collar, hard hitting, smash mouth football and leave the fancy finesse behind.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:18:06 PM »
If there is NO talent on this team, how do you expect to beat NDSU, win out and go to the playoffs ? The players of the last two years with winning records is suddenly "dogmeat" ?

Keep drinking, Red. You never knew sh!t to begin with, but are sure funny when drunk !

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »
It's gonna take a couple years for Bo to hopefully turn this thing around. To get more football players in here than athletes who want to to play football as Wolf did. The offense needs to change, goodbye Bricillo and Montgomery. Has to be done.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 05:01:56 PM »
Tressel took over a team with a winning record and went 2-9 first year.  It often takes time to get the roster sorted out.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
Still if you take Pitt and Illinois St. down to the wire believe me you have talent. Penguins gameday tonight Bo admitted to having a cultural problem on his team. Maybe I was reading it wrong but he really seemed to point the finger at his players and very little if any at his staff..but at the same token took full responsibility for his teams play

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:17:19 AM »
If there is NO talent on this team, how do you expect to beat NDSU, win out and go to the playoffs ? The players of the last two years with winning records is suddenly "dogmeat" ?

Keep drinking, Red. You never knew sh!t to begin with, but are sure funny when drunk !

1st off I'd like to offer an apology for misspeaking. I said "NO" talent,, what I meant to say is "LIMITED" talent.

2nd I never claimed to know sh**,, this is still better than being full of sh**  ;D

I can't help it you have such a hard on for the AD and "good ole boy" system you claim is here at YSU that you trash anything wrong with YSU. Use your "self-claim" to football knowledge and be constructive to the cause not destructive.

Have a great day and drink on!!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 01:08:33 PM »
LOL ! "Cultural" problem ?. Cmon, Fever , tell us what you really think ,  ;D

The players here have talent. The players were under a strict discipline coach before. Bo is supposed to be a "big time" coach. Experienced, all knowing, a player's coach.

I see major problems coming.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 01:02:54 PM »
I really think Bo Pelini will be the next football coach at the University of Minnesota and he will take the majority of his staff with him to replace Jerry Kill who just decided to step down 😨

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
I think 4 BIG teams (Rut, MN, IL, and MD) all have interim HCs.  I think he would've grabbed a NFL or P5 job if he wanted to before coming to YSU.  He never had to come here, but rather wanted to.  I think he likes JT being the Prez, and appreciates that support after having conflicts with administration at NE. Strollo is a moron and an incompetent, but he likely doesn't antagonize BP.  BP is getting well paid through the 2018 season, and after that he will be gone. 

Having had lived there for ~9 years, MN is a miserable place to live for a multitude of reasons, and would make Lincoln NE seem paradise.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:53:37 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 02:24:23 PM »
I visited Minneapolis/St. Paul in the winter as a student and only thing happening was hooking up with local nursing students (very good memories there), snow up to your shoulders  and lots of rot  gut bars with no class. Ugly scene but with some benefits, ;D

Bo collects a big check monthly, coaching or not, successful or not till 2019. Lots of "desire" to do well.  ::)

You may be right Fever. Who knows.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 04:52:18 PM »
It will be attractive to whomever. With a 190 million athletic upgrade in place and a top 25 class in place why not? I believe kills current salary is 2.5 mill plus bonuses. What better way to stick it to Shawn Eichorst. While not an easy university to recruit from Bo could have a distinct advantage from his time at Nebraska