Author Topic: ESPN GAME DAY  (Read 28079 times)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: ESPN GAME DAY
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »
It's pretty sad.

We're getting to the point where there are players who weren't even alive when we last won a NC.

Unreal how far we have fallen.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »
The crowd at JMU is awesome.  We have not had that kind of student support even when we were winning in the 90's. :(

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
Nation: What are you talking about. Prior to Strollo, I would be (and was) embarrassed for ESPN to be here.

They are at JMU because (forgive me if this whole post comes out wrong, as I am trying to be PC) but their coach is the next big-time program black head coach. Their QB has the best NFL potential of any I-AA/FBS player, he transferred from GA Tech (as a former starter) and he is the typical ESPN token cause (token in the sense of not only race, but also the fact that he plays for a traditionally lily-white college in JMU). I mean this same channel virtually ignored Tony Romo, who was clearly the most talented QB at our level and a guaranteed high-level NFL pick. All media is the same thing, you think that because they focus on sports, that ESPN is not being run by the same trash that runs the rest of the media in this country? You are seeing JMU because it helps ESPN's agenda on, but mostly off, the field.

So why would they come here? Race does not matter at YSU, only your talent. We are only more steeped in football tradition that most any other school our size. Look at how many ESPN/ABC announcers came from here. Our campus now has facilities that rival some so-called "major" institutions. We had a decent football stadium, but not much of any kind of campus (at least until Strollo made some things happen).

These things being said, your University president was #1 on the ESPN/ABC/CNN/SI/other members of this media giant ..."hit list" for 10-years in Columbus. I know why and you know why; but if I tell you then I am a bigot, so just read his book (particularly the first one).

Your head coach was admonished by this network (ESPN) beyond any other coach since Tressel. Our head coach then hired his brother, who was previously caught doing drugs with the student population. You don't find it in the least bit odd that Bo was not a real target of ESPN's when he was part of the Big-12, a conference with a sports media network (performing poorly) controlled by ESPN? Yet, when Nebraska move into the Big-10, with a highly successful "independent" sports network that Bo is a nightly mention?

Until Strollo expanded our media capabilities, ESPN had to bring in all their own equipment (another of the many items that Strollo did that goes unrecognized). The A-10 (JMU's former conference) set standards for their institutions in all of their sports for required media facilities (of course this came out of the need in basketball, but it certainly benefitted football) such as wiring and positions for camera's, lighting, etc.

The list goes on & on. So stop feeling that it is anyone's (at YSU) fault. Instead of stating how much we have dropped, look at how much we have grown under Strollo and how much more easily that YSU is able to have a major network here.  We have two things remaining:

1. Sell more tickets.
2. Win more games.

Even if we do that, having ESPN Game Day is not even partially in our control.

Back to your regularly-scheduled season and GO GUINS!!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:52:20 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 12:08:13 PM »
1AA:

Strollo era playoff appearances:  1 in 14 years.

Pre-Strollo era playoff appearances:  10 in 14 years.

His renewing of Heacock's contract (let's not get into Slocum's renewal) as the program was declining was malplractice.  It's not just a Tressel thing, as we were in the playoffs with Narduzzi. 

The possibility of ESPN GameDay coming in 2013 created a huge buzz, and had YSU beat UNI, we would have put on a good show.  Remember how full Beeghley was vs. CSU for that ESPN game?

The facility upgrades....always the facility upgrades......it's ok he demolished the signature sport because we have a new scoreboard and better lights......

Every school has facility upgrades.  SDSU...new stadium.   JMU...massive renovations to their stadium.

BP is here because of JT.  Strollo was ready to hire the mediocre EKU HC before JT moved Strollo to the back seat. 

Strollo is as incompetent as Cindy Martin and Hill are at coaching WBB.  Who hired them BTW?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 01:30:18 PM »
Strollo is a good old boy. Local politics keeps an incompetent on board.  YSU is fully deserving of its failures for keeping Strollo  at the controls. Ticket sales ? I gave up buying tickets and coming to MBB two seasons ago. I stopped buying Penguin Club seats for FB a year ago. This is my second season not coming to games . Reason ? STROLLO .

Keep the "good old boy". YSU deserves what it is getting. You got better AD in some area H.S.s.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
YSU's problems start at the top. Shame...

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 03:11:07 PM »
Yes we are and I am glad for it. If some of you had any idea what goes on behind the scenes, then you could talk. Paladin, your ignorance is expected, so why would I bother?

First of all, we really never had any AD before Strollo. There were no real compliance issues that could not be covered up because the NCAA allowed universities to police themselves. Title IX was given a 30-year start date so everyone thought it would "blow over". So Malmusar and Tressel (certainly the two biggest of the good old boys) ignored it and continued to dump money into football. Funny because when Narduzzi asked to go DI, they good old boys all laughed at him and denied him for 3 years.

Suddenly we have a decade to expand women's athletics; we needed to hire more than 6 new head-coaches (with staffs) on a total budget that was basically non-existent; the local hs football system all went to crap and Heacock was forced to recruit primarily outside of Ohio with no facilities to attract and keep true football talent at the DI level; we have absolutely no women's facilities outside of a privately run dorm ...yet we need to add over 100 female athletes in less than 10-years; our existing facilities (mainly one "Ice Castle") were growing old and in need of repair; so much more that I cannot even tell you.

This all comes in with the new tenure of Ron Strollo. Now look at our campus and our athletic programs ...we are a "real" DI university ...something we never were prior to Strollo and all of you older posters should know this. Just walk around the next time you are on campus and it should be obvious to anyone over the age of 35. For those of you that are not that old ...take my word for it. How many compliance issues? Very few for a school with 26 programs. Stop acting like hiring coaches is all an AD does ...it is really a VERY VERY small part of his job.

PS: Slocum and Heacock renewals are/were more than justifiable and not any part of Strollo's job. It is those "good old boys" ...which I am very happy to have. If not, this school would be total zero in men's athletics. All of you act like the choices are 1) hire someone else or 2)keep what you have. You ignore the reality of a 3rd-choice ...3) drop the program. Don't for a second think that this has not come up many times in Strollo's tenure and decisions he fight's over every day of the year. Wrestling, men's swimming & diving, M&W rifle, fencing. We almost lost baseball, this despite being a university in a major prep baseball area (for the Midwest). Open you eyes and you will see. Repeating the same hatred over and over is something my grandparents, aunts and uncles do. I guess it comes with growing up in Youngstown.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:34:10 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 10:31:54 PM »
Thats a whole lot of Waxing poetic about Strollo.  One would think your biased!  1) NCAA is only interested in policing high profile teams,  YSU hasnt been high profile in nearly two decades, so the compliance argument is baseless.  The NCAA auditing YSU is about as useless, and expensive as auditing Sacred heart 2)Poor old Strollo because he had to deal with the same title IX nonsense everyone in the country had to deal with??  3) you werent a real D-I university before strollo why?  because you didn't have the WATTS? or the outdoor track?  Well you had championships before.  I guess some would trade championships for some shiny new stuff but not many.4) IAAF your whole race argument for Gameday is a Straw-man defense at its base.  "Race card" "Liberal media Bias" "Herman Cain is the real black candidate"....NONE of that has ANY thing to do with why Gameday is at JMU over coming to, or talking about YSU....Their 7-1....not 3-3......OOPS 3-4

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
Pretty obvious Observer. The whole argument is that we procrastinated, because everyone's hero let it happen. What Strollo has done here is waxing.

JMU is 7-1?

Portland State is 5-1
Coastal Carolina is 7-0
Charleston Southern is 6-1
Dartmouth is having a record season at 6-0, while Harvard's record is the same.
ILS is 6-1
Jacksonville State is 6-1

I stand behind my comments and find them obvious as well ...especially the ones about Strollo. We are dragged in this century and everyone cries about it.

Here is one more obvious fact ...
If our team was as good as everyone thinks ... Pelini would not be here.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 11:03:54 AM »
After the big game day at JMU they went out and lost to the Spiders.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 12:42:44 PM »

Wow.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 02:57:42 PM »

Wow.

Ron is a nice guy but ^^^ I did not realize that  :-[

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »

Wow.

I only see 8, but still, your point taken.

More relevant:
Post-season appearances while a conference member: Strollo era = 1 in 14 years
Post-season appearances while a conference member: Pre-Strollo era = 4 in 14 years (2 Narduzzi & 2 Tressel).
In short Narduzzi had 2, Tressel had 2 and Heacock had 1. Wolford had none. You cannot compare the times we were an independent to those that we were not.

Conference championships: Narduzzi 3 (OVC), Heacock 2 (Gateway/MVFC), Tressel 1 (OVC) & Wolf none.

Besides, if Strollo was asked to remove any of these people ...he would have ...and did so twice. So what is the point? You are trying to make the point that The AD is responsible for something, when he is not. The overall direction and guidance of YSU athletics has been outstanding under Strollo.

What you have made a case for is how much the I-AA/FCS football landscape has changed over the years.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:02:46 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 05:59:18 PM »
Also, if you don't count the seasons in which the rainfall in Coral Gables exceed 14", and all years without a lunar eclipse, and multiply by the square root of 5.....then you'll obviously see how awesome and competent Strollo is.

Nice try 1AA......

How much do you think Strollo's epic mismanagement of the top two revenue generating sports has cost YSU....in  terms of millions (or tens of millions)?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 07:47:36 PM »
I can't speak for basketball but if football was in ANY other conference those playoff numbers would have been more. Ask Tressel - he will be the first to tell you how much more difficult it is to win in the MVFC than as an independent or in the OVC.