Author Topic: Penguin Game Day (at SIU)  (Read 50901 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguin Game Day (at SIU)
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2015, 07:50:49 PM »
No we shouldn't Buddy as Montgomery is not capable of fielding a team that is 5-2 ...as 05 and Nation, they know everything about it. Yet neither one of them will analyze a drive or say a word about how terrible our defense has been for going on 6-years. First we have to hear about how boring coach M's offense is and now we need to hear that he is too exciting.

He's neither. He's just not a very good play caller. Associated somehow with being a good OC because he "coached" Big Ben... Laughable.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2015, 08:11:40 PM »
There's two different ways to look at the YSU drive that started with 5:06 in the 4th and up by 3. First off I was very surprised to see Ricky in on 1st down considering the hot hand Hunter was having at the time. 1st down rush by Davis for 1yard (SIU was expecting that play) Ruiz 2nd down rush 0 yards..So that puts your Qb in a 3rd and 9 situation. SIU dials up a blitz and forces a hurry. My thought is let Wells start the series and let him throw on first or 2nd down. IMO that series was way to conservative considering what happened to your defense the series before. But then again if your shane you have to trust that your special teams can get off a big punt and your defense can come up big and hold. I can't answer the reason why Ricky didn't attempt a pass. But if that is the case he would be perfect in a combination HB/TE role..I really thought they would go that direction last year

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2015, 09:03:46 PM »
I have nothing against what you said Buddy, I am just tired a hearing the same old nonsense from 05. I guess we need basketball point totals. Hey let's go ahead a fire coach M and put in coach Slocum. Then you get both of your wishes 05. Oh wait. 100-points per game is not always going to be enough.

Fever we cannot do as you suggest because that is what Montgomery does every series ...just ask 05 or Nation.

Ignoring the sarcasm, Wells was hot deep down field only because the SIU defense stopped running in circles to confuse his target passing. Had we gone downfield like that with a lead, then I would have asked for Montgomery's head. He did the smart thing and put in our 3 best runners in Ruiz, Kuntz and Davis.

Back to the sarcasm ...Besides 05 and Nation are not even going to mention how we were only up by 3, when were just up by 11 (not 10) 20-seconds earlier. That must have been the time that Monty grabbed Carl's headset and started calling the defense.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2015, 09:31:48 PM »
Yeah.. I am not complaining about the coaches.  just want them to win

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2015, 06:09:52 AM »
The play calling on offense has been questionable.  When it is time to get first downs and chew up the clock we run the ball up the middle against teams that we haven't shown success running against.  Special teams kills us because we then kick a 19 yard punt.  Then the defense gets the opposing offense in a 3rd and 18 and we blitz them and they throw a screen.

The issue for me is that yes you will give up big plays here and there on defense but the offense cannot keep putting the defense in unwinnable situations with turnovers.  And when the OC feels he needs to score, instead of using the mobile 2nd string QB, he used a tailback to throw the ball.  That doesn't male sense to me.  The other thing that doesn't make sense to me is why the 2nd string QB is not permitted to make any throws and he can only run the same play every time.  So we basically telegraph what we are going to do when he is in there.

Our QB has regressed in in second year out of high school.  That tells me that either his high school QB coach is better than his college coach or we don't have a good QB coach.  His footwork is poor, he locks on to one receiver, and he doesn't step up unto the pocket like he did last year.  He is not as patient either.

I've said it before.  I just don't think Montgomery has the brains to be a good OC.  If I can see this as a fan, I can only imagine how lucky other coaches feel about playing us as the year goes on.  By the time we hit the middle of October, there is nothing new to defend and opposing teams put in their defense based on our formations, personnel packages, and down and distance.  I know 98% of the time where the play is going and what play is being run based on those 3 factors.  We function in the dim range on offense.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 06:11:59 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2015, 08:14:48 AM »
The play calling on offense has been questionable.  When it is time to get first downs and chew up the clock we run the ball up the middle against teams that we haven't shown success running against.  Special teams kills us ...
The offense cannot keep putting the defense in unwinnable situations with turnovers. 
Or consecutive 3 and outs!

The other thing that doesn't make sense to me is why the 2nd string QB is not permitted to make any throws and he can only run the same play every time.  So we basically telegraph what we are going to do when he is in there.

Our QB has regressed in in second year out of high school.  That tells me that either his high school QB coach is better than his college coach or we don't have a good QB coach.  His footwork is poor, he locks on to one receiver, and he doesn't step up unto the pocket like he did last year.  He is not as patient either.

By the time we hit the middle of October, there is nothing new to defend and opposing teams put in their defense based on our formations, personnel packages, and down and distance. 

Well stated, but don't expect a lot of agreement.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2015, 09:56:33 AM »

Fever we cannot do as you suggest because that is what Montgomery does every series

Every great O.C. needs creative play calling that is not predictable and must trust in his players to make plays. I respect Shane's philosophy and he does a very good job of mixing and matching. IMO we have generated enough offense in the 4 losses and could be sitting at 6-1 or 5-2 if some other things were to go our way. But I really like the fact they showed confidence in Hunter after the pick and he responded. My point is shane should've done it again in that series. It does nothing for your quarterback's confidence and makes the 3rd down throw that much more difficult. Even the SIU cheerleaders knew what was coming on 1st with Ricky. You can't afford a wasted down in that situation it's just to important
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:41:33 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
Well as things have turned out I can't defend anything going on this year with this football team. As I thought YSU has a few good player on both sides of the ball but after that the talent pool drops drastically. I've pounded the coaches but I believe the whole team is bad  :-X

Better luck next year!

YBR OUT!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »
The play calling on offense has been questionable.  When it is time to get first downs and chew up the clock we run the ball up the middle against teams that we haven't shown success running against.  Special teams kills us ...
The offense cannot keep putting the defense in unwinnable situations with turnovers. 
Or consecutive 3 and outs!

The other thing that doesn't make sense to me is why the 2nd string QB is not permitted to make any throws and he can only run the same play every time.  So we basically telegraph what we are going to do when he is in there.

By the time we hit the middle of October, there is nothing new to defend and opposing teams put in their defense based on our formations, personnel packages, and down and distance. 

Well stated, but don't expect a lot of agreement.

I think he will get a lot of agreement. Everyone should question calls made this year and every year; but I am saying do not stick to calls on offense. Our offense has been the only (I mean ONLY) thing working here the past 5+ years.

Our team is giving up 5-9 yards on first down, yet we play zone on second down all the time. We were at 4th an one, we safety-blitzed out of a zone coverage scheme. They burned us with a 70-yard TD pass to a TB that had not been in the game prior? On that fake FG ...even a sports idiot like me saw it coming & it was only because the TE missed the catch that they did not complete it. The ball was in his hands. Use Montgomery's knowledge to help this team, do not drop the only bright spot we have.