Author Topic: Penguin Game Day (at SIU)  (Read 51254 times)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguin Game Day (at SIU)
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »
I guess the black pants did not help.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2015, 11:19:03 AM »
we have had black pants away all season. I want Black & red at home :)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2015, 11:43:27 AM »
I guess the black pants did not help.
LOL... At least the score was closer.
For almost 50 years, I stayed for the entire game, including those two rainy home games this year. I left, for the first time at the beginning of 4th quarter in the SDSU game because I could not take it anymore. Adding insult to injury, when I got the shuttle bus to ride back to the parking deck, the bus was already almost full. I managed to get on. I was informed that the bus cannot leave until 5 minutes left in the game. I have to listen to that stupid game from the bus radio. Gee, at least it was warmer.
Next home game, I will be able to park near the stadium since the attendance will be low. In case the game got out of hand, I could walk back to my car at the 3rd quarter instead of listening the game on the shuttle.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »
1AA:

The best MVFC offense was going to put up yards and points.  We knew that.  The question was could we contain them.  SIU only scored on one out of six possessions in the first half. I call that a success, and yes, kicking ass, against the #4 FCS offense that almost beat a BIG.  The offense squandered these opportunities with mostly good field position.  The first two possessions of YSU in the second half were a pick 6 and three and out.  The D could only contain so long.

The pick 6 changed the momentum in the second half.  No pick 6 = we win and are celebrating and speculating about the playoffs.  The coaches are at fault in part for the pick 6 in that they fielded a QB with poor judgment and no mobility.  He fells pressured to make risky tosses because the knows he can't run his way out of a collapsing pocket.

Now we are rebuilding for the future.  Time to get Davis some experience and develop depth.  Time to make #pick 6 a reserve QB.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »
The pick 6 was a game changer..no doubt about it. However #6 had 324 yards passing and 3 touchdowns.... don't forget about the good part.

The other big factor is that our defense did not force any turnovers and get us any field position. Because their kicker was able to kick a touchback we started on our own 25 most of the night. Unfortunately we can't say the same about SIU.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
Other than Davis, can run, what are you guys seeing, I must be missing something.  He has been here 3 yrs.  Does he know the offense? Is he accurate in practice.  He didn't beat out Dante last year.  We have seen this time and time again, Zwick, Street, etc.  if I was the coach I see a guy we could plug in at WR.  Or RB. There has to be a reason why the Coaching staff lacks trust in him to throw the ball. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »
I haven't seen enough of Davis to determine if he is the solution.  He scored our only rushing TD (and didn't drop a knee prior to the end zone), and was our second leading rusher despite limited action.  Not allowing him to throw made his rushing less effective.  Now that we are in a rebuilding period, it makes sense, to me anyway, to give him a start next week.  Why not? Because he too may lose 2 MVFC games because of pick 6's?

Probably what we need is a QB transfer, like JMU's Vad Lee.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2015, 02:12:52 PM »
What pisses me off it seems like any QB after Ryan seems to never improve.  Wells from Last year to what we have this year is a different QB.  He seemed to go threw his reads better and not lock on like he has done this year. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2015, 02:30:31 PM »
All you need to know right here...

Steve Wilaj ‏@steve_wilaj  15h15 hours ago

Interesting on halfback-pass call to end game. While Wells said he supported OC Montgomery's call, Pelini: "I don't feel good about it."

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »
Last year I thought Wells was going to be one of the greats.  I thought that going into this season.  I thought Hess peaked early.  I thought one of his best games was his first against Penn State. There was a pick 6 in the Fargodome (I think the season after we won in the Fdome) and he seemed to have lost his mojo ever since.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2015, 03:35:53 PM »

Interesting on halfback-pass call to end game. While Wells said he supported OC Montgomery's call, Pelini: "I don't feel good about it."

It is a trick play ...who is going to feel good about it? We want to know if #20 saw that he had the 1st-down on the ground?

There is not as much work needed on this team as many think, but it will require some new bodies and the return of some old ones. Mainly more depth up front and some "thunder to go with our lightning". Although when Ruiz was hitting hard early, he had success.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2015, 04:06:11 PM »

It is a trick play ...who is going to feel good about it? We want to know if #20 saw that he had the 1st-down on the ground?

There is not as much work needed on this team as many think, but it will require some new bodies and the return of some old ones. Mainly more depth up front and some "thunder to go with our lightning". Although when Ruiz was hitting hard early, he had success.

He's talking about the play call. Throwing Montgomery under the bus as he should. Joke.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2015, 06:15:19 PM »
What makes it hard is we should be 5-2... Guess it could be worse... Could be a browns fan!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »
No we shouldn't Buddy as Montgomery is not capable of fielding a team that is 5-2 ...as 05 and Nation, they know everything about it. Yet neither one of them will analyze a drive or say a word about how terrible our defense has been for going on 6-years. First we have to hear about how boring coach M's offense is and now we need to hear that he is too exciting.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »
Hey I am not singling anyone out.  Just want to see them win and when they play well enough to do it then give it away it is tough..