Author Topic: NDSU to offer FCOA scholarships in all sports  (Read 6660 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
NDSU to offer FCOA scholarships in all sports
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:03:30 AM »
http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/aug/28/north-dakota-st-to-offer-stipends-in-all/

YSU: No plans to follow suit in football

Associated Press

FARGO, N.D.

Football Championship Subdivision powerhouse North Dakota State said Thursday it will provide thousands of dollars in stipends to scholarship athletes in all 16 sports beginning next year, a move that could persuade other mid-majors to follow suit.

The plan to pay for the full cost of attending college originated with the most influential conferences at the Bowl Subdivision level, which approved the legislation in January after gaining autonomy from the NCAA. Athletic scholarships have historically covered tuition, fees, room, board and books.

NDSU officials say the additional cost will be up to $3,400 per full scholarship.

“This is not our student-athlete coming in and picking up a paycheck because they rushed for 200 yards or they threw a no-hitter or whatever it may be,” athletic director Matt Larsen said. “This is to cover the costs while they’re here as a student-athlete for North Dakota State.”

Youngstown State athletic director Ron Strollo said the Penguins “have no plans to offer COA above what has been mandated by the Horizon League.” In April, the Horizon League passed cost-of-attendance legislation for men’s and women’s basketball.

Larsen said the decision should allow his coaches to stay competitive on the recruiting trail, where they often go against larger schools to land a player. The Bison football team, which has won four straight FCS titles, has gone head-to-head with Wyoming, Minnesota and other FBS schools over several recruits.

“To say a student-athlete is going to choose North Dakota State over another school for $3,400, I don’t think that will be the case,” Larsen said. “But it allows us to be in the same realm as some of those schools that we recruit against.”

Some FCS schools have said they would offer stipends in some sports, but only one other mid-major, Liberty University, has announced it will give cost of attendance scholarships for all 20 of its sports. The Virginia school has also said it would like to play at the FBS level.

Larsen said the stipends are not a step toward FBS for NDSU. “This is really what’s best for North Dakota State,” he said.

Patty Viverito, commissioner of the Missouri Valley Football Conference that includes NDSU and last year’s FCS runner-up, Illinois State, said the school representatives at the league’s annual meeting “were not so inclined” to favor stipends in all sports.

She said the subject also came up recently during a meeting of FCS commissioners in Bristol, Connecticut.

“I think everyone else in the room was saying that they really thought that FCS was situated pretty well in terms of being different from FBS and that it was probably not in our best interest financially, across the board, to try to keep up with FBS in this regard,” Viverito said. “When a major competitor makes a different choice, that may cause people to rethink that.”

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU to offer FCOA scholarships in all sports
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 01:34:37 PM »
I expected this.  I would hope that our conference, and every FCS conference, simply passes a bylaw that prohibits such stipends.  If NDSU wants to mimic the big boys, let them join the illustrious Sun Belt or some other lowly G5 conference.  For us, those FCOA basketball scholarships are bad enough.  We cannot afford to include football.  No other school in the MVFC can afford it either, despite what some of their ill-informed fans might state on message boards.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:05:18 PM »
I expected this.  I would hope that our conference, and every FCS conference, simply passes a bylaw that prohibits such stipends.  If NDSU wants to mimic the big boys, let them join the illustrious Sun Belt or some other lowly G5 conference.  For us, those FCOA basketball scholarships are bad enough.  We cannot afford to include football.  No other school in the MVFC can afford it either, despite what some of their ill-informed fans might state on message boards.

agree
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 09:29:58 PM »
NDSU and Liberty both now have declared they will offer FCOA scholarships.  IDK if this is in preparation to a move to the FBS.  If they remain in the FCS, how big of a recruiting advantage will this be?  Will YSU ever be able to sniff another National Championship with NDSU (I suspect there will be others) with an even greater recruiting advantage?

I'm not saying I support FCOA scholarships, but it may be worth eliminating some Olympic sports and diverting the funding towards FCOA scholarships, if we wish to again be a power-FCS team.

Another issue is that the FCS now has the absurd spectrum of non-scholarship teams in the same subdivision as teams with 62 FCOA scholarships. Time to modify the Dayton rule.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:58:51 PM »
NDSU dominates its peers in recruiting up here  *Dakota schools* *UNI*

however, Minnesota, Iowa State, Wyoming , Air Force & Mac teams are fighting with NDSU for recruits more & more every year, so offering COA will help offset this.

but BASKETBALL going to the big dance a lot & WRESTLING in the BIG 12 now, NDSU had to offer it and decided all sports members should be equal.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 05:31:17 AM »
USD to offer FCOA scholarships next year.

http://goyotes.com/news/2015/9/4/GEN_0904155838.aspx