Author Topic: Fall Practice Updates  (Read 51904 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Practice Updates
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »
Anybody able to see the scrimmage? Defense dominated from what I heard.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »
Well, I'm concerned. I wasn't there, and I'm glad our defense is looking good, but i was figuring with all the linemen and skill players we had returning that our offense would be pretty good.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
Well, I'm concerned. I wasn't there, and I'm glad our defense is looking good, but i was figuring with all the linemen and skill players we had returning that our offense would be pretty good.

The offense has failed against the best defenses the last 4 years.  Perhaps we now have one of the better defenses and we would expect the offense to struggle based on past experience.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2015, 05:42:50 PM »

To be fair, the backups played a lot today. Starters played first couple series and sat out.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2015, 07:10:43 PM »
I wasn't there today. But I like the fact that true freshman Shackleford had 5 receptions today. I feel he has the potential to be a big time playmaker.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2015, 08:32:35 PM »

The offense has failed against the best defenses the last 4 years.  Perhaps we now have one of the better defenses and we would expect the offense to struggle based on past experience.

This is true. Maybe this is the case. Ysufan0505, i know the backups played alot but what the starters did while playing is concerning. Hunter wells threw 2 picks.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2015, 05:18:20 PM »
Yo Show- l really wouldn't be concerned with Wells being picked twice. The defense to this point has seen about everything the offense runs and are very familiar with their plays.. I believe LB kelly had all 3 picks. The offense will be fine this year don't worry !!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2015, 06:42:45 PM »
I don't believe you can judge the offense and defense performance at this point. Coach Pelini and his team are evaluating every position, moving guys and changing the lineup constantly with freshmen thru seniors. During these changes several "known" starters are seeing limited time to protect against injuries.

The coaches are doing a lot more teaching and looking for the 2nd and 3rd depth teams. Also they are trying to find the right guys for the special teams which has to be shored up.

We won't really know who is starting until the Pitt game. Even then it will change in the next two home games so we can be truly ready for the MVFC. 

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2015, 09:14:31 PM »
I understand that  a couple of players have run into severe scheduling problems and will lose out and possibly drop in the line-up by missing some practices during the week.  I know they have people that work with scheduling for athletes, but I would guess that class times are limited.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »

To be fair, the backups played a lot today. Starters played first couple series and sat out.

I'm not sure why Monty was retained. YSU's "O" in a crunch time situation or against a team that plays "D" was horrible. As much as I hate to say it the "D" under Wolford was bad, but IT (D) was not the only problem Montys "O" was equally as bad when it counted.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2015, 09:22:54 AM »

I'm not sure why Monty was retained. YSU's "O" in a crunch time situation or against a team that plays "D" was horrible. As much as I hate to say it the "D" under Wolford was bad, but IT (D) was not the only problem Montys "O" was equally as bad when it counted.

10-4 on that.  I was also indirectly pointing that out in my outlook.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2015, 12:18:45 PM »

Amen. Amazing how much the offense is struggling in practice against an improved Pelini defense.... Sigh. Hopefully Pelini has the balls to let Monty go after some ugly losses given up due to the offense.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2015, 12:30:52 PM »
I believe Wolf was holding Monty back.  We shouldn't see the offense disappear in the second half this season.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »
Amen. Amazing how much the offense is struggling in practice against an improved Pelini defense.... Sigh. Hopefully Pelini has the balls to let Monty go after some ugly losses given up due to the offense.

Wait a minute Fan...don't you mean and improved "Stoops" defense?  :o
I think there will be more house cleaning at the end of the season, but I am hoping we are not
suffering ugly losses.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2015, 02:17:33 PM »
I believe Wolf was holding Monty back.  We shouldn't see the offense disappear in the second half this season.

:o and "IF" you believe that I have some swamp land I'll sell you in AZ! Wolf and Monty... The blind leading the blind when it mattered  ::)