Author Topic: Thoughts on Ways to Engage Students and Fanbase?  (Read 28675 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Ways to Engage Students and Fanbase?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »
Very good post by YSUGO. I know they have 2 kids days planned and more events like that should be added to the promotional schedule lIke a punt, pass and kick contest. A later start time for the games wouldn't hurt. Look at all the J.V. football games in Northeast ohio that start at 10 in the morning or later. Plus the majority of varsity players attend those games as well. I would contact all the varsity football coaches within a 60 mile radius and offer them a promotional deal all the way down to their youth programs and throw in free concessions along with a free Y.S.U. tee shirt. Interest needs to start from the outside and the bottom up
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:06:40 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »
All great ideas,;although I would not require marching band. Many serious musicians do not have the time or the "lip" to spare. There are plenty of former HS band kids that are not music majors ...this is where you need to pull from ...increase the stipend & get some instruments for the students that not longer have their own.

Above all ... PLEASE PLAY MARCHES AND FORGET THIS POP MUSIC CRAP. If I want to hear Journey, I can pop in a CD. Play songs I do not get on the radio station. It does not have to be only JP Sousa; there are many good songs that get a crowd going. Look at "Minnie the Moocher" before the 4th quarter? We have Dana, do you mean to tell me that we cannot get some k**k a** routines and original scores? Drummers ...get with the program. I expect to hear a new cadence every week!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:42:36 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 11:52:49 PM »
IAA Fan,

Expecting a MARCHING BAND to play MARCHES instead of pop garbage.  You really are some kind of radical. :)

The band needs to develop a signature song that is appropriate for football.  As I recall, you favor the classic by Manfred Mann.  And the band needs to play the signature march (composed by a Dana graduate,), March Grandioso, which has been stolen by the University of Texas.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 10:40:11 AM »
I would be happy if the marching band played something other than the same songs every game.
These kids have a lot of talent and it is not being shown on the field.
I do think the band got more involved in the games last year than several previous seasons.
We need every facet of the university community involved in improving attendance.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 09:03:28 PM »
IAA Fan,

Expecting a MARCHING BAND to play MARCHES instead of pop garbage.  You really are some kind of radical. :)

The band needs to develop a signature song that is appropriate for football.  As I recall, you favor the classic by Manfred Mann.  And the band needs to play the signature march (composed by a Dana graduate,), March Grandioso, which has been stolen by the University of Texas.

I did not know that Seitz is a Dana guy ...great info. Something that I know the Ohio State band does is march without their woods. At that point they are the largest brass band in the world and travel extensively.

The Mighty Quinn was something that YSU did for years when I was a kid ..at least that I can remember.

So I think you hit the nail on the head Wick ...we have our songs/pieces

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 10:59:53 AM »
There are several good ideas here.  Personally I'm not in favor of trying to "incentivize" students to come/stay.  Most are attending on scholarship or "daddy's" money, and one winner won't encourage much.  However the band selection comments seem relevant, and the PA is just as bad or worse.  We get the introduction to an AC/DC song 20 times a game and never the song, even if you were an AC/DC fan this sucks.  But AC/DC isn't football and it isn't contemporary for kids either. The PA guy is stuck in 1979! 
Personally I think band concerts (not marching) following might be worth a try.  Once or twice a season. Personally my family is more likely to come if we have fireworks after the game.  Look at Cle Indians attendance for fireworks.

Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 01:43:55 PM »
I would prefer the firewowks on the field with YSU winning some important home games. :)

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 05:30:59 PM »
I personally am impressed with the improvements of the YSU Pride MB in the past few years.  The previous director totally killed the band.  The current guy seems to have things moving in the proper direction.  Back in the 80's and early 90's students received a stipend to be in the MB.  Bring those back and watch the band grow even further:)  Just my 2 cents!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 05:31:39 PM »
There are several good ideas here.  Personally I'm not in favor of trying to "incentivize" students to come/stay.  Most are attending on scholarship or "daddy's" money, and one winner won't encourage much.  However the band selection comments seem relevant, and the PA is just as bad or worse.  We get the introduction to an AC/DC song 20 times a game and never the song, even if you were an AC/DC fan this sucks.  But AC/DC isn't football and it isn't contemporary for kids either. The PA guy is stuck in 1979! 
Personally I think band concerts (not marching) following might be worth a try.  Once or twice a season. Personally my family is more likely to come if we have fireworks after the game.  Look at Cle Indians attendance for fireworks.

Good points!  However, I know several current YSU students that have some academic money but are paying the majority of their own way.  The PA system is sad at best, but is always worse during the games.  Maybe it is broadcast from the McDonalds drive-thru across the street.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 08:45:44 PM »
I personally am impressed with the improvements of the YSU Pride MB in the past few years.  The previous director totally killed the band.  The current guy seems to have things moving in the proper direction.  Back in the 80's and early 90's students received a stipend to be in the MB.  Bring those back and watch the band grow even further:)  Just my 2 cents!

Ditto
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 08:49:05 PM »
I would prefer the firewowks on the field with YSU winning some important home games. :)

Most folks may like them but I hate fireworks, glad they stopped them.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 09:45:27 PM »
Fireworks were very popular (and so are night games.)  But here is the problem.  There is no place to shoot them off and have fans view them while sitting in the west stands.  They used to launch the fireworks from the infield of the old track, the current home of the Watts.  Once, probably while the Watts was being constructed, they shot them off from the tennis courts, but that is way too close to Fedor Hall and even Beeghly. 

Here is one suggestion.  Launch the fireworks from the vacant land between Ford and Belmont.  The spot where they have the homecoming bonfire.  You could watch them from the tailgate lot or by hanging around outside the stadium. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »
Fireworks were very popular (and so are night games.)  But here is the problem.  There is no place to shoot them off and have fans view them while sitting in the west stands.  They used to launch the fireworks from the infield of the old track, the current home of the Watts.  Once, probably while the Watts was being constructed, they shot them off from the tennis courts, but that is way too close to Fedor Hall and even Beeghly. 

Here is one suggestion.  Launch the fireworks from the vacant land between Ford and Belmont.  The spot where they have the homecoming bonfire.  You could watch them from the tailgate lot or by hanging around outside the stadium.

Does YSU own that land? Wonder if they have to pay to use it.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 10:33:27 AM »
Speaking of the sound system.  I remember when I was a little kid going to games and they had two giant speakers on the YSU sideline pointed up towards the stands and that was the sound system.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 12:40:48 PM »
Did someone say "fly-over"? We have have all seen it, we know it is awesome. I say (if possible) do it on the opener, the veteran's day game (which is always televised as part of the MVFC network) and when we happen to get a home play-off game.