Author Topic: Scalzo: Pelini Comments from Last Night  (Read 5319 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Scalzo: Pelini Comments from Last Night
« on: July 28, 2015, 08:00:24 AM »
Pelini: It’s ‘50-50’ that Daniel joins YSU

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Youngstown State football coach Bo Pelini believes he can build a culture that can handle a player like former Auburn defensive lineman Elijah Daniel.

But, he stressed, Daniel isn’t here yet.

Despite several national reports that Daniel is planning to enroll at YSU after being kicked off Auburn’s football team, Pelini said Monday that it’s “50-50 at best” that Daniel will join the Penguins this fall. He is not yet listed on YSU’s roster.

“There’s a lot that has to happen yet,” he said.

Daniel was arrested and charged on four counts of burglary and four counts of theft in April following several burglaries in an Auburn residence hall in March, according to AL.com. Tigers coach Gus Malzahn kicked him off the team on May 2.

Daniel (6-2, 260) played all 27 games the past two years with the Tigers and had 15 tackles and one sack last season.

“I knew some people down there and did our due diligence and brought him onto campus and talked to a lot of people down there that what happened and what’s going to happen going forward,” Pelini said. “I can’t get into real specifics because there’s still some things being talked about. But met the young man and got a chance to sit down and talk to him and find out where he is and talk to him about what happened in the incident that you’re referring to.

“I feel like if you put him in the right culture and get him around the right people and give him a second chance to make things right [he’ll be a good addition]. I think he has it in him to do that. But the key is to surround him with good people and a good support system.”

Daniel would be the second controversial defensive lineman to join the team under Pelini. Former Nebraska defensive end Avery Moss joined the team in January after he was kicked off Nebraska’s team following a public indecency charge.

“We’ve got good kids on our football team and they understand that we’re not gonna bring in somebody that we haven’t researched or done our due diligence with,” Pelini said.

Powell eyes safety

Former Michigan State safety/linebacker Jalyn Powell, a Warren Harding High graduate, will join the Penguins this fall after two years with the Spartans. Powell was moved from safety to linebacker during the Spartans’ bowl practice in December. He appeared in nine games and finished with five tackles last season after redshirting in 2013.

Pelini said Powell’s decision was driven by two factors: his desire to play safety and to play close to home.

“He kind of played a lot of nickel, almost like an outside linebacker type position for those guys. Coach [Mark] Dantonio reached out to me and, obviously Jalyn and his family, and the big part of it was getting a chance to come back home and get an opportunity to play at the safety position. And just, really, a comfort level not only in football but as far as his life as a student-athlete.

“Obviously I haven’t had a chance to work with Jalyn but I’m looking forward to that and seeing how he can compete with a position that I think is pretty talented right now.”
- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/jul/28/pelini-its---that-daniel-joins-ysu/?newswatch#sthash.iBcm8qMp.dpuf

Offline sportsfan1

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Scalzo: Pelini Comments from Last Night
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:52:18 PM »
http://www.goracers.com/news/2015/7/28/FB_0728152352.aspx

Pelini must've known this when he was at Lucianno's.  What would draw him to a lower conference with a team that won one conference game last year?  Auburn to Murray State.....?

Bummed....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:10:19 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:50:31 PM »
Yeah, pretty disappointed we did not land this kid but who knows if he will even see the field this year???

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:40:49 PM »
This might be for the best as those charges are very serious.  I would feel worse if he had emerged at a program like Illinois State.  We need players who will lay it on the line EVERY PLAY for their teammates and their coaches.  I ask you: does a guy who chooses Murray State seem likely to fit that criteria?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
I can't see how Pelini starts to build a winning program with guys like this.  I hope he does well and gets his life in order at Murry State, but IMO, thank God isn't not at Youngstown State.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!