Author Topic: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!  (Read 152411 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2015, 12:01:45 PM »
JMU's $$ game against SMU is in week four, which is better then week one.

If we played our 1-AAA teams in weeks one and two, we would have a 2-0 record and rising fan excitement.  If you lose to Pitt on week three, then you still can boast a winning record going into conference play.

My fear is that a loss to Pitt, after years of underachievement, will bring about a "same old, same old" attitude and an early dismissive feeling amongst the casual fans.

Pitt is not the toughest team on our schedule, but the most important game of the season IMO.

This YSU team is a more talented team with a wiser HC than the one that beat Pitt.  Last year, Akron beat Pitt.  It could happen....but if I had to set the spread, I'd say Pitt minus 10, Over/under 45.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:08:43 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2015, 12:47:55 PM »
Fair enough. I think we have better than the 22 percent chance (at least I think that was what it was) that massey ratings give us though, and I do believe it will be a close game. But I really hope they are prepared to face illinois state and NDSU this year...

We were prepared to face both teams last year. They both had better teams.  What we can't do this year is lose to teams like Indiana State at home.  Games we had no business losing to last year.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 29, 2015, 01:57:53 PM »

If we played our 1-AAA teams in weeks one and two, we would have a 2-0 record and rising fan excitement.  If you lose to Pitt on week three, then you still can boast a winning record going into conference play.

My fear is that a loss to Pitt, after years of underachievement, will bring about a "same old, same old" attitude and an early dismissive feeling amongst the casual fans.

Pitt is not the toughest team on our schedule, but the most important game of the season IMO.

This YSU team is a more talented team with a wiser HC than the one that beat Pitt.  Last year, Akron beat Pitt.  It could happen....but if I had to set the spread, I'd say Pitt minus 10, Over/under 45.

I would't say they are more talented now than the last time we played Pitt.... That offense was experienced and battle tested with Hess, Cook, Shaw, Berrassa, Stubbs, Bryan and an experienced O-Line. Dominated and kept Pitt off balanced all game long.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2015, 02:12:38 PM »

I would't say they are more talented now than the last time we played Pitt.... That offense was experienced and battle tested with Hess, Cook, Shaw, Berrassa, Stubbs, Bryan and an experienced O-Line. Dominated and kept Pitt off balanced all game long.

IMO, Wells is more mobile and better then Hess, and Ruiz > Cook. Our defense I suspect will be better.  Hess and especially Stubbs had one of the best games of their collegiate careers.  Everything seemed to go our way that night.  I think the Pitt team will be much better then the one we faced before, tho.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2015, 05:07:31 PM »
Overall YSU has the more talented roster then Pitt, but not necessarily the dynamic playmaker's. Hands down Shane Montgomery is the best offensive coordinator at the FCS level. Look for him to have Wells pull it down and run more this season the kid can move. If Wells and Ruiz can come up big and the offense can take care of the football and the defense can find some creative ways to get off the field on 3rd down and force some turnovers along the way I like the penguins in this game 31-27

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
I was wondering if Pitt would be caught looking ahead to the Akron game the week after the YSU game, since Pitt's loss to Akron was fresher.  Interesting to note that Massey ranks YSU (100) much higher than Akron (129), gives Pitt a higher % chance of victory over Akron, and predicts a larger margin of victory over Akron.

Slim chance.  They'll be ready for us.

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=6236&s=279541

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »
Overall YSU has the more talented roster then Pitt, but not necessarily the dynamic playmaker's. Hands down Shane Montgomery is the best offensive coordinator at the FCS level. Look for him to have Wells pull it down and run more this season the kid can move. If Wells and Ruiz can come up big and the offense can take care of the football and the defense can find some creative ways to get off the field on 3rd down and force some turnovers along the way I like the penguins in this game 31-27
The trouble is that Pitts HC has prepared against Shane's offense when he was the DC at MSU. He has the experience/knowledge to do it again. The second half of the YSU/MSU game was not pretty. I hope the Pitt's defense is not as good as those at MSU. Hess could not throw a deep ball and I hope Shane might be able to come up with some deep throws with Wells to loosen up the D.

He also knows that YSU is probably better than the Zips. Therefore, IMO, he is not going to look ahead to Akron. Knowing the history, there is no way he wants to lose to YSU at home.

Go penguins!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2015, 09:54:28 PM »
That's a very good point Double Et. I'm fully aware of Narduzzi 's history at M.S.U. and the match-up problems the Guins had against his defense. .again 2 different types of defenses and he doesn't have near that talent at Pitt. Montgomery was limited to what he could do in those games..I think it will be different this time around.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2015, 10:02:36 PM »
And don't forget Coach Sims is at Pitt also.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2015, 10:40:49 PM »
Not sure how relevant Coach Sims being there is. Our defensive schemes will be different under Pelini, so his knowledge of our defense will be... irrelevant? I suppose he could have other info... but back to the discussion on Pitts team. Everyone is saying Pitts defense will be improved if only technically due to the new schemes Narduzzi will be using.

Expect there to be breakdowns in coverage at times on both teams, considering both teams are learning new defensive schemes. But seriously, the overall Pitt talent level on the defensive side of the ball is rather low so I hear.
YSU should have better talent, especially at defensive end and our linebackers, than Pitt dare I say. In fact, linebacker is the big question mark for Pitt right now.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2015, 07:10:05 AM »
37 days

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2015, 09:41:27 AM »
Not sure how relevant Coach Sims being there is.

Simms knows our offense quite well.  I don't see much change there.

Anyone know the status of Ryan Moore?  Last I heard he will be out for this season also.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »
Fair enough then. I guess having that knowledge is a valid concern.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:53 PM »
Good mention on Sims, Scarlet. It will be interesting. I think Simms is more of an X's and O's & he was very active on the field during games. I am not sure he has as much responsibility at  Pitt & not sure he is much of a strategist. I will tell you one thing ...Shane Montgomery is a quality strategist. Now that he is here .. Carl Pelini is one he!! of a coach as well.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2015, 08:32:46 AM »
36 days