Author Topic: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!  (Read 163331 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2015, 10:03:34 AM »
Remains to be soon. That defense can take all the help it can get!
Amen to that!
I believe half the problem was we recruited offensive players and not enough talent on defense, but also we played so passively on defense it was a huge turn-off to me.  I would get in the car after a game and listen to the radio recap and they were telling me the star of the defense was Julius Childs and I was wondering if they watched the same game as I did?  Set up 15 yards off the line, let the receiver drive 12 yards downfield, turn back and catch a 10 yard hook.  Over and over and over.  Good grief he had 14 tackles against Duquesne and 11 against Butler to open the home season.  Now don't get me wrong, I think Julius Childs might made a better cooking show host than a CB, but a lot of that was the coaching game plan too.  We scored enough to win, just gave up WAY too many to make the playoffs.  Pelini seems much more aggressive on D and that alone may be enough.

That statement could not be more true!!!! Wow.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2015, 12:18:20 PM »
Actually, I look for Powell to contribute immediately. He had a good start at MSU early and they were loaded. I'd look for him to play SS here. MSU moved him to a LB because  they were light there and Powell could play, even as an undersized one as he could light  them up on tackles. Powell wasn't keen on playingh LB and he loo0ks to play at the next level after college, which won't be at LB. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried him at weakside LB here either, but he won't be thrilled. Major  hitter, good field sense, pass  D was good at MSU ( but the secondary was loaded there) and nothing wrong with his speed. YSU should be improved in the secondary and have some depth. Wouldn't hurt for him to pick up 5-10 lbs.

Let's see ...slated as one of the top-10 players on defense ...perhaps even top-5. Played at a big-10 school and HS at S and LB. So you are predicting him to play at YSU as S or LB? So what is there to analyze? He was not brought here to snap the ball.    ::)

So was that your one allotted positive post of the year, or did you go to Harding? ;)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2015, 02:58:26 PM »
I was responding to go guins comment, who, like you, knows next to nothing about football. I always have positive comments on here, just not EVERY ONE as you would like, being the leader of the "cheerleaders". I always hate to let the BS pass for facts here and will respond. The "cheerleaders" have no problem ripping the players but holding up losers like the AD or praising a coach who hasn't even coached his first game after failing at the last level.  Cheerleaders   and BS artists ............... that why I come................ to add some reality to the site.

Perspective. ;D ;D ;D

P.S. -- not from the area , so I didn't go to Harding. That, however, is     one of the few places in the area Pelini should recruit.  And Florida !!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:02:39 PM by paladin »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
Paladin, I  would like to say that while I disagree with your comments sometimes, it does make the discussion different. Also you said you arent from the area. You mean you arent from youngstown or arent from warren (harding) area?

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »
Central Ohio. Go Bucks !  8)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2015, 09:28:02 PM »
Pelini wasn't a failure at Nebraska.  He wasn't a failure anywhere he has been.  Couldn't disagree with that comment Pally. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2015, 11:12:13 PM »
So if youre from Central Ohio, why root for the Penguins?

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2015, 12:00:01 AM »
49 days

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2015, 09:38:32 AM »
Remains to be soon. That defense can take all the help it can get!
Amen to that!
I believe half the problem was we recruited offensive players and not enough talent on defense, but also we played so passively on defense it was a huge turn-off to me.  I would get in the car after a game and listen to the radio recap and they were telling me the star of the defense was Julius Childs and I was wondering if they watched the same game as I did?  Set up 15 yards off the line, let the receiver drive 12 yards downfield, turn back and catch a 10 yard hook.  Over and over and over.  Good grief he had 14 tackles against Duquesne and 11 against Butler to open the home season.  Now don't get me wrong, I think Julius Childs might made a better cooking show host than a CB, but a lot of that was the coaching game plan too.  We scored enough to win, just gave up WAY too many to make the playoffs.  Pelini seems much more aggressive on D and that alone may be enough.

100% agree

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2015, 02:04:45 AM »
49                                                   49
                            49                                            fb
                                                                                          49
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
I am from Central Ohio. I drive past the shoe every Friday night in the fall to go see the guins. I have turned down countless OSU tickets. I even drive up for the games that are televised & I cannot pick them up ...although that does not happen much anymore.

I do not dislike OSU, in fact my daughter graduated from OSU & I bought her season passes every year until she had a baby & not she does not have time. However, She has had a season pass for YSU games since 1986 (when I first found out my wife and I were going to have a baby). I am really not a big sports fan ...I am a big Penguins fan. I set up my tailgate when it is still dark outside, so there is no one at the parking booth to complain. It is just a matter of having priorities. Working on the web site takes up my free time, so I simply listen to sports radio for the news. Then mostly I read the internet for I-AA/FCS news.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »
IAA Fan, my question was directed towards paladin since he said he was from central ohio. But your description also intrigues me. Dont get me wrong, I'm glad your a fan, Im just curious what caused you to be such a big penguin fan?  Did you attend YSU?

For myself, I grew up in youngstown. My family is from youngstown for 2 generations. Then we moved to the suburbs when I turned 12. Everyone who has graduated college in my entire family is a ysu graduate for at least their undergraduate degree. My uncle was even a ysu policeman back in the day and would take me to the games he had to work with my cousins when i was a child in the 90s and tressel was the coach.

So you can say I was basically born a YSU fan, but I also attended YSU for my undergrad (and now for my masters) and even if I hadnt "grown up YSU" I would have become a fan then because I was attending the school.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2015, 11:33:14 AM »
Also want to thank you for your efforts with this website. I do imagine it is a good amount of work to upkeep. Also curious, do you have to pay for the hosting of the website? I would assume this is not sponsored by the university?

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2015, 11:35:30 AM »
Also, penguin nation, its 48 days today. The game was 7 weeks away from yesterday and 7x7 minus 1 means 48.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2015, 11:46:16 AM »
Also, penguin nation, its 48 days today. The game was 7 weeks away from yesterday and 7x7 minus 1 means 48.

That's what happens when you go to school in Ohio.  :D  One day closer is even better!
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen