Author Topic: The State of MBB, Part Two  (Read 14634 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The State of MBB, Part Two
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »
Marcus Keene transfers to CMU.

"Central Michigan is discovering that as the Chippewas landed Youngstown State guard Marcus Keene, the Penguins' leading scorer at 15.6 points per game, he told the Free Press today.

"I decided to leave Youngstown because I didn't feel it was the right fit here," he said. "The atmosphere. I liked the coaching staff and the players but I wanted to go to a different spot, a winning organization."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/04/19/central-michigan-basketball-marcus-keene/26034019/

In other news, YSU PD have placed Bobby Hain under house arrest.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The State of MBB, Part Two
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »
A winning organization?!?! Wow, who woulda thought?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:18:23 AM »
Shut down MBB and put the money into the only sport that matters......Football.   Looks like we got rid of some prima donnas in MBB.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:31:13 AM by penguinpower »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »
Winning?  What is this "winning" concept that you speak of...?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 02:13:36 PM »
What about being a leader instead of a quitter. That's all that kid did. To blame Slocum on this?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 05:38:53 PM »
The talent pool in MBB over the entire country is drying up.  Watching the NCAA Tournament this year was like watching top-tier high school ball.  With the exception of Kentucky and Duke, two schools who will continue to suck up the "talent" from high school because that is a kids best chance at a 1 and done and get to show themselves in the tournament to make millions.
True basketball is a team game but 5 guys that "work hard" will lose to 5 guys who could play in the pros.  Everytime. In other words you cant teach talent.  And now to expect ANY coach to go to YSU and convince kids to move all the way across the country to live in Youngstown for 4 years for a "chance" to make a tournament is crazy talk.  I highly doubt Slocum likes to lose but he cant win.  It is not in the cards.  And the new ruling about extra money has now just created a bidding war for the power 5 scraps.  So the question that is left is how to recruit basketball players away from the Power 5 conferences without a massive ignorance of the NCAA rulebook, to place with the highest rate of citizen flight?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 05:44:59 PM »
The talent pool in MBB over the entire country is drying up.  Watching the NCAA Tournament this year was like watching top-tier high school ball.  With the exception of Kentucky and Duke, two schools who will continue to suck up the "talent" from high school because that is a kids best chance at a 1 and done and get to show themselves in the tournament to make millions.
True basketball is a team game but 5 guys that "work hard" will lose to 5 guys who could play in the pros.  Everytime. In other words you cant teach talent.  And now to expect ANY coach to go to YSU and convince kids to move all the way across the country to live in Youngstown for 4 years for a "chance" to make a tournament is crazy talk.  I highly doubt Slocum likes to lose but he cant win.  It is not in the cards.  And the new ruling about extra money has now just created a bidding war for the power 5 scraps.  So the question that is left is how to recruit basketball players away from the Power 5 conferences without a massive ignorance of the NCAA rulebook, to place with the highest rate of citizen flight?

How does that explain the success of the YSU WBB program?  YSU WBB has recruited players from PA, MI, and IN.  There are not routine defections of players.

Is there a larger pool of talent of WBB collegiate athletes?

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »
If my child decided to run away from home......I could explain it away by saying it is the "age" we live in. I could make excuses to justify in my mind...why it wasn't something I could have changed. Or I could look at the problem my "family" fostered and attempt to change it.
That's the problem. Change is feared....for so many reasons...but it is truly what is necessary.
We are "losing" the talent on these teams! Because they are quitters? I don't believe that. These kids have a small window to be successful in their collegiate careers...and they see apathy! They see attendance that is negligible, a fan base that lives for football and no hope on the horizon for change. These kids are sold a song and dance on how they can make a difference...be the start....of something great! They are young...and they are not patient....like a lot of you are. I would assume that staying the course is a sign of patience.....and not apathy...or worse yet...stupidity.
I am not blaming the fans. This is entertainment and you pay for what you value....what you enjoy. There hasn't been a lot to enjoy over the years.....therefor a lot have chosen to "change the channel".
I would hope things couldn't get worse....but maintaining the "status quo" is even worse. Something has to change.

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »

How does that explain the success of the YSU WBB program?  YSU WBB has recruited players from PA, MI, and IN.  There are not routine defections of players.

Is there a larger pool of talent of WBB collegiate athletes?

Because of title IX there is one thing anyone with a moderately athletic daughter knows...someone, somewhere will have a lot of money with no blue chip to spend it on.  There is actually less of an elite talent pool for women in ALL sports.  But there is also an embarrassment of riches in the form of opportunities that women have to play, because of the mandate of hosting women's sports.  There is a reason why the ACC and Pac-10 have near Olympic caliber soccer teams and the ones at YSU's level resemble high school matches, though the money and opportunities are identical.

In basketball this translates to less opportunities per team, making the great teams harder to make, leaving better talent out on the fringes, with a lot of other schools willing and able to pay, which means more talent slips through the cracks.  WAY more than on the men's side.  And until the WNBA gives out million dollar a year contracts, the only real way to get "paid" is to get a full scholarship (women tend to be better students, and also less delusional about professional sports) get some tv time and hope to be a top three draft spot for the WNBA, if not they have a degree.   With the current rule changes a lot of schools are going to have to make a lot of choices about the theory of "revenue sports"

If my child decided to run away from home......I could explain it away by saying it is the "age" we live in. I could make excuses to justify in my mind...why it wasn't something I could have changed. Or I could look at the problem my "family" fostered and attempt to change it.
That's the problem. Change is feared....for so many reasons...but it is truly what is necessary.
We are "losing" the talent on these teams! Because they are quitters? I don't believe that. These kids have a small window to be successful in their collegiate careers...and they see apathy! They see attendance that is negligible, a fan base that lives for football and no hope on the horizon for change. These kids are sold a song and dance on how they can make a difference...be the start....of something great! They are young...and they are not patient....like a lot of you are. I would assume that staying the course is a sign of patience.....and not apathy...or worse yet...stupidity.
I am not blaming the fans. This is entertainment and you pay for what you value....what you enjoy. There hasn't been a lot to enjoy over the years.....therefor a lot have chosen to "change the channel".
I would hope things couldn't get worse....but maintaining the "status quo" is even worse. Something has to change.

The things that actually need changing would upset ALOT of apple carts, don't look for real change anytime soon.  Unless you mean merely changing paint colors on the titanic.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 08:49:36 PM »
We are a football school.   Period.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:14:50 PM »
News flash !!!! No matter what Slocom is back next year as he should be adults honor contracts adults that have any backbone don't quit.  That is what happened and to spin your anti YSU anti strollo anti Jerry bullsh** is why they quit shows you are no better than them you quit as well on YSU and honestly as an alumni and a member that actually donates and pays to give back what my education fromYSU gave me doesn't want or need your support.  When times are tough you don't quit.  That's what you did and that's what those kids did. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 08:06:01 AM »
Nothing can change the fact we lost 6 players in past month.  Obviously something internal is wrong with the program.  How come the news media hasn't asked for an explanation from the coaching staff??   Same sh** different day with our men's b-ball program.   It's a complete joke!!!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 08:21:12 AM »
The kid left for program that has 2 post-season appearances in the past 25-years. Yes, that is one more than we have. He lost a year in the process. Good for him, why did I close one anti-YSU thread for another garbage thread? I am going to merge them together.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 07:34:27 AM »
@BrettFrantz15: Excited to say I have committed to play basketball at Youngstown State. Can't wait to be a Penguin next year 🐧🏀 http://t.co/HruDfJIZ6w

Stats:
http://kjccc.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/players/brettfrantza61t
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:35:22 AM by ValleyTalk »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »
No disrespect to this young man and best of luck in his career at YSU but the last thing we need is another 6'3" guard.  Jerry and his recruting staff certainly have that market cornered....