Poll

Do you consider Cheerleading to be a sport?

Yes
4 (25%)
No
10 (62.5%)
Uncertain
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Cheerleading  (Read 7934 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Cheerleading
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:57:36 PM »
I see that we are allowing video tryouts for cheer leading. I am interested in everyone's opinion on cheer leading being a sport. Also, (be nice) but do you think that looks should be a more important factor than skill? I know this sounds rude and shows age, but I think cheer leaders should be brought in for their looks primarily. There should be a minimum set of standards, then it is looks. Then you set the cheers based on the talent. I know this is very subjective, so I am not sure how to do it.. However, I would be in favor of the videos be mandatory and public. Let the students, faculty/staff and Penguin Club members vote.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Cheerleading
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:57:50 PM »
I wonder if all those who decided that cheerleader is not a sport really know how hard those ladies work...ask strength coach Cochran if he takes it easy on them...how many stadium steps they run...or how many weights they lift to get ready for the season...do people even K ow that they work all summer preparing for football season...try doing a standing back tuck sometime...If that's not athletic I don't know what is...add all that to never giving up in the face of adversity ...I've seen our teams give up before our cheerleaders do...cheering is a sport...believe it

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:28:51 AM »
I don't think of cheerleading as a "sport" but I do consider cheerleaders athletes. The UK cheer squad that does their basketball games are amazing athletes.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 05:43:19 PM »
I don't think of cheerleading as a "sport" but I do consider cheerleaders athletes. The UK cheer squad that does their basketball games are amazing athletes.

I agree
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »
Hell ya, Red . One of my friends best times is having his picture taken with the squad. Damn, there were men cheerleaders then. He must heve been in the Navy.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 09:59:15 AM »
YSUBIGRED that is the most intelligent comment on the subject I've ever read.  Nice post!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »
Sounds like a comment made by a small man. Holding true to form.

Offline A Penguin-Husky

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 10:11:22 AM »
Small man indeed.   Really take exception to this type of verb-age by ElPenguin.  Thinking from the 50"s.  Further don't understand why this is still on the board unless the moderator/owner has no objection to this characterization of this group of people.  Sad, but maybe that's just me.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 12:58:39 PM »
Not just you , Husky. Lots of things go on here that don't pass the smell test. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:10:38 PM by paladin »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 07:33:44 PM »
It is gone!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline A Penguin-Husky

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 10:13:07 AM »
Thank you.  And I do realize that moderators have another life besides constant checking of this site.