Author Topic: Ron Brown hired by Pelini?  (Read 16690 times)

Offline k9_r

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Ron Brown hired by Pelini?
« on: January 22, 2015, 01:58:20 AM »
Pelini has apparently hired the guy who coached Ameer Abdullah and Rex Burkhead. Lincoln newspaper story...

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/article_10514c98-85da-55d5-a85e-897e0f50b4a5.html#.VMCVwJ37TFU.twitter

Offline huskergina

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ron Brown hired by Pelini?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »
CONGRATS on this fantastic hire.  Ron was loved by many Husker fans. 

Offline Punisher

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 12:28:03 PM »
Great coach and one I wished Riley would have kept in Lincoln.  You should be very happy about this hire.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 05:25:49 PM »
This guy is a religious fanatic. A far right wing Christian, who has strong anti LGBT beliefs, and who mixes his Christian beliefs in with his coaching. This would be fine if he were coaching at a private, religious based University. But, he is coaching at a PUBLIC University that receives tax payer money, and which has laws against discrimination, including on the basis of sexual orientation.

He is free to believe whatever he wishes to believe. To force him to change his beliefs would be discrimination against him, and a violation of his Constitutional rights. At the same time, people like Ron Brown have a very, very, very hard time not letting their personal religious beliefs get intertwined with their job as a football coach. And, forget his views on sexual orientation. With a person this outspoken about their Christian faith, is this someone that a player who is Muslim would feel comfortable playing for? How about a person who is Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu...etc. For that matter, even kids who are Roman Catholic, because people with the belief system of Ron Brown often do not believe Catholic's are "saved".

He was not granted an interview for the head coaching job at Stanford back in 2002 because of public remarks he had made. There was a petition to have him removed from the coaching staff at Nebraska, because of remarks he has made in public. Bo Pelini stated that no players ever complained about Browns preaching at Nebraska. But, how many kids age 17-23 would complain, knowing if they did they could well lose playing time? I'm going to share an article written in 2012 by Gene Wojciechowski for ESPN.com. As far as I know, the writer is neither gay, nor a gay rights activist. He is a sports writer and commentator for ESPN.

This hire may play well in Ytown/Warren, which is far from a place full of open minded, tolerant people. Which is a major reason why I moved out of Ytown. Diversity, whether sexual orientation, gender identity, race, practicing a religion other than Christianity, females having several tats, people with several piercings, muliple colored hair, interracial couples..etc is not exactly looked at as something positive in the Ytown area. Something tells me the same is true in Lincoln, NB . This is the kind of hire that leads me to question if I still wish to be a fan of YSU football, and YSU athletics in general.

I find it very, very, very hard to believe that a person this outspoken, and who has a Christian message on his voicemail is open minded when dealing with players that do not share his beliefs. I've met to many people of this ilk. And, think about this for a moment. What if instead of Christianity, Brown were a devout Muslim and had the same fervor and outspokenness, only with Islam being the One, True Faith, and all people having to follow Allah and The Prophet Muhammad, or burn in hell. Something tells me that would not go over well, no matter how good of a coach he was. So, why is it different when the person in question is Christian, given we are talking about a SECULAR, PUBLIC INSTITUTION?

...""To be fired for my faith would be a greater honor than to be fired because we didn't win enough games," he told the AP.

So Brown would be a willing martyr. And if he continues to confuse faith with a person's fundamental right not to be discriminated against, then Perlman and Osborne should fire him. Because while his religious beliefs are his own -- and his opinions protected under the First Amendment -- Brown remains a representative of a university whose core values stress the "diversity of ideas and people."

Brown has the absolute right to express his views. But at what point do those views bleed into the workplace? It's a small thing, but Brown's office voice message is proudly nonsecular. And Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini has said that Brown discusses religion with his players, but, according to the AP, no team member has complained.

But what does that mean exactly? That the players want Brown to continue mixing religion with football, or that they're reluctant to say anything, in fear that it could affect their standing with a coach who controls their place on the depth chart?

And what if there were a gay player on the Nebraska roster? Or what if one of the players Brown is trying to recruit this week is gay, or has a family member or friend who is gay?

These are not unreasonable scenarios. Would you want to play for a coach who thinks God loves gays less than women or African-Americans? Would you want to play for a coach who preaches compassion and love, but is willing to turn his back on a fellow human being because of that person's sexual orientation?

Discrimination is discrimination. It isn't a buffet line where Brown can pick and choose who can be protected from it. It is repugnant in all forms.

Whether he realizes it or not, Brown's supposed private stance has public -- and Nebraska football -- implications. His beliefs find their way back to his players and the message is this: I've got your back -- as long as you're not gay."
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7863307/nebraska-cornhuskers-assistant-ron-brown-confusing-faith-rights

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/nebraska-coach-tells-fca-prayer-breakfast-that-christianity-is-the/article_f31aed93-e96f-579f-8123-407fdab2153b.html
Nebraska coach tells FCA Prayer Breakfast that Christianity is the only correct religion

..."The 24-year Nebraska assistant also articulated his belief that only followers of Jesus will receive eternal salvation.

“Jesus didn’t say he was a way, a truth, a life,” Brown said. “He said he is the way, meaning he is the only way. Now listen, this is fundamental, just like a ball carrier carrying the ball … ask yourself this question, 'Is Jesus truly the only way?' It’s easy to say yes now, but in your public school system they say no. He is a way, a truth, a life. You willing to go to your death for that? It can’t be 'a.' There can’t be 5,000 different truths. There’s not even two truths.

“There’s one truth … any faith on this planet, any philosophy, any notion, any religion that can’t sign off on John 14:6 that Jesus Christ is truly God, God the son, that he is the way, truth and the life, that he is the only way you can have a relationship through God the son with God the father, they’re wrong. They’re dead wrong. Any other faith outside of Christianity is dead wrong. That don’t go over well. That don’t go over well in this culture.”"...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:41:58 PM by Lets_Talk »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 05:28:40 PM »
NON-DISCRIMINATION/EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
The University is committed to a campus environment that values all individuals and groups, and to non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all persons. No member of the University community shall discriminate against another on the basis of sex, race, religion, color, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or identification as a disabled and/or Vietnam Era veteran. Retaliation against an individual seeking advice on a discrimination matter, reporting a discriminatory act, or participating in an investigation of the proceedings of a discrimination matter is prohibited.  The University is also committed to the principles of equal opportunity and acts in accordance with state and federal laws.
Resolution Number:  YR 2000-39

ADA COMPLIANCE
Youngstown State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, age, religion or veteran/military status in its programs and activities.
Title II/Section 504 Coordinator for Employees and others:
Kevin W. Reynolds
Chief Human Resources Officer
(330)941-2742
kwreynolds@ysu.edu
http://web.ysu.edu/equalopportunityandpolicycompliance

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:51:02 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:48:15 PM »
Great... A Far Right Wing Christian nutcase..................... man , I told you this gig was going to be a comedy.................... what a pair... Bo with his potty mouth cussing up a storm and having a preacher assist coach.............. where is Archie Bunker when you need him ?  ;D

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 06:00:49 PM »
This guy is a religious fanatic. A far right wing Christian, who has strong anti LGBT beliefs, and who mixes his Christian beliefs in with his coaching. This would be fine if he were coaching at a private, religious based University. But, he is coaching at a PUBLIC University that receives tax payer money, and which has laws against discrimination, including on the basis of sexual orientation.

He is free to believe whatever he wishes to believe. To force him to change his beliefs would be discrimination against him, and a violation of his Constitutional rights. At the same time, people like Ron Brown have a very, very, very hard time not letting their personal religious beliefs get intertwined with their job as a football coach. And, forget his views on sexual orientation. With a person this outspoken about their Christian faith, is this someone that a player who is Muslim would feel comfortable playing for? How about a person who is Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu...etc. For that matter, even kids who are Roman Catholic, because people with the belief system of Ron Brown often do not believe Catholic's are "saved".

He was not granted an interview for the head coaching job at Stanford back in 2002 because of public remarks he had made. There was a petition to have him removed from the coaching staff at Nebraska, because of remarks he has made in public. Bo Pelini stated that no players ever complained about Browns preaching at Nebraska. But, how many kids age 17-23 would complain, knowing if they did they could well lose playing time? I'm going to share an article written in 2012 by Gene Wojciechowski for ESPN.com. As far as I know, the writer is neither gay, nor a gay rights activist. He is a sports writer and commentator for ESPN.

This hire may play well in Ytown/Warren, which is far from a place full of open minded, tolerant people. Which is a major reason why I moved out of Ytown. Diversity, whether sexual orientation, gender identity, race, practicing a religion other than Christianity, females having several tats, people with several piercings, muliple colored hair, interracial couples..etc is not exactly looked at as something positive in the Ytown area. Something tells me the same is true in Lincoln, NB . This is the kind of hire that leads me to question if I still wish to be a fan of YSU football, and YSU athletics in general.

I find it very, very, very hard to believe that a person this outspoken, and who has a Christian message on his voicemail is open minded when dealing with players that do not share his beliefs. I've met to many people of this ilk. And, think about this for a moment. What if instead of Christianity, Brown were a devout Muslim and had the same fervor and outspokenness, only with Islam being the One, True Faith, and all people having to follow Allah and The Prophet Muhammad, or burn in hell. Something tells me that would not go over well, no matter how good of a coach he was. So, why is it different when the person in question is Christian, given we are talking about a SECULAR, PUBLIC INSTITUTION?

...""To be fired for my faith would be a greater honor than to be fired because we didn't win enough games," he told the AP.

So Brown would be a willing martyr. And if he continues to confuse faith with a person's fundamental right not to be discriminated against, then Perlman and Osborne should fire him. Because while his religious beliefs are his own -- and his opinions protected under the First Amendment -- Brown remains a representative of a university whose core values stress the "diversity of ideas and people."

Brown has the absolute right to express his views. But at what point do those views bleed into the workplace? It's a small thing, but Brown's office voice message is proudly nonsecular. And Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini has said that Brown discusses religion with his players, but, according to the AP, no team member has complained.

But what does that mean exactly? That the players want Brown to continue mixing religion with football, or that they're reluctant to say anything, in fear that it could affect their standing with a coach who controls their place on the depth chart?

And what if there were a gay player on the Nebraska roster? Or what if one of the players Brown is trying to recruit this week is gay, or has a family member or friend who is gay?

These are not unreasonable scenarios. Would you want to play for a coach who thinks God loves gays less than women or African-Americans? Would you want to play for a coach who preaches compassion and love, but is willing to turn his back on a fellow human being because of that person's sexual orientation?

Discrimination is discrimination. It isn't a buffet line where Brown can pick and choose who can be protected from it. It is repugnant in all forms.

Whether he realizes it or not, Brown's supposed private stance has public -- and Nebraska football -- implications. His beliefs find their way back to his players and the message is this: I've got your back -- as long as you're not gay."
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7863307/nebraska-cornhuskers-assistant-ron-brown-confusing-faith-rights

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/nebraska-coach-tells-fca-prayer-breakfast-that-christianity-is-the/article_f31aed93-e96f-579f-8123-407fdab2153b.html
Nebraska coach tells FCA Prayer Breakfast that Christianity is the only correct religion

..."The 24-year Nebraska assistant also articulated his belief that only followers of Jesus will receive eternal salvation.

“Jesus didn’t say he was a way, a truth, a life,” Brown said. “He said he is the way, meaning he is the only way. Now listen, this is fundamental, just like a ball carrier carrying the ball … ask yourself this question, 'Is Jesus truly the only way?' It’s easy to say yes now, but in your public school system they say no. He is a way, a truth, a life. You willing to go to your death for that? It can’t be 'a.' There can’t be 5,000 different truths. There’s not even two truths.

“There’s one truth … any faith on this planet, any philosophy, any notion, any religion that can’t sign off on John 14:6 that Jesus Christ is truly God, God the son, that he is the way, truth and the life, that he is the only way you can have a relationship through God the son with God the father, they’re wrong. They’re dead wrong. Any other faith outside of Christianity is dead wrong. That don’t go over well. That don’t go over well in this culture.”"...

How do you know he is anti LGBT?  I am a Christian and I am not against you.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:01:07 PM »
Ron Brown Equal Employment Ordinance Testimony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjXxaRxc55w

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:06:56 PM by Lets_Talk »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 06:06:12 PM »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »
penguinpower,

Ron Brown defends anti-gay stance
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7855135/nebraska-cornhuskers-aide-ron-brown-faith-demands-anti-gay-stance

Coach's anti-gay comments an 'embarrassment' but not fireable offense
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/11/us/nebraska-coach-anti-gay-comments/

There is a war on white people, black people, Mexicans , LGBT's, Christians, muslims etc.......ask anyone that
identifies with any of these groups or are part of the races.  Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and they have the right to voice them even if it goes against what you think is right or wrong.   There is no tolerance for others any longer
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:14:12 PM by penguinpower »

Offline k9_r

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 06:54:24 PM »
Ameer Abdullah is a practicing Muslim and the youngest of a large Muslim family. He had zero problem with Ron Brown and neither does his family. Ameer is a great admirer of Brown and has said so many times.

Does anyone think that in all these years Brown has never coached a gay player? Atheists? Anything other than a cross section of the general population? Of course he has and done so without a single issue arising. And yet, because he's an "out there" Christian, he can be singled out and thought unqualified for a position at a public institution? That his record can be dismissed as irrelevant?

Who's the bigot in these conversations?

Lets_Talk

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »
Like I said, Brown has a right to believe whatever he wants to believe. He is walking a very narrow line though by using his position as a football coach at PUBLIC UNIVERSITY to preach his brand of Christianity. And, it could well end up biting YSU football in the behind in recruiting, and even with how players respond and perform with him as their coach. There is something called Separation of Church and State in this country. If he does public speaking or coaching clinics on behalf of YSU football, and says the things he said in that video, he could well be deemed to be speaking for the entire YSU Athletic Department, or at the very least the football program.

I NEVER stated he is unqualified for the job. I made sure to point out that he is allowed be think and believe whatever he wants. You might want to go back and re-read my posts slowly, and try comprehending what was written.

Bigotry is bigotry. Hatred is hatred. People can try and justify it all they want, but it is wrong. And, it's ironic that Brown worships a dude that preached about not throwing stones, not judging, loving you neighbor, loving your enemy, yet he does alot of judging and throwing of stones.

This hire has the potential to have negative ramifications for YSU. How negative, I'm not sure. Keith Dambrot, the current HC foe Akron men's basketball was blackballed for over a decade because he used the word Nigger when talking to his players. And, the thing is, he ASKED them if it would be ok to do so, and they said yes. NONE of the players took offense. They knew the context in which he was using the word. Yet, his use of the word got into the public, he was fired from CMU, and then a few years later, Jim Tressel would NOT allow Dan Peter's to hire Dambrodt as an assistant coach. And, Dambrot apologized repeatedly for his use of that word. The players all said they did not take any offense, jus as is supposedly the case with Brown. Yet, Dambrot was not able to get hired by a college, and ended up taking the job at Akron SVSM, before Akron finally took a chance on him.

YSU now has an HC with a quick temper, who has made an a$$ of himself on National Television. And, now they have a person with radical Christian views and who has no problem being very outspoken about said views. That is a recipe for negative publicity, at a school that already has alot of negative perceptions to over come when trying to attract students, both those who play sports, and those who do not.

That is my opinion, this is a discussion about Ron Brown, and I'm quite certain I am not the only person who thinks what I think about this hire. I just have the courage to say what I think about hiring a person of this ilk, and do it with my real name at the bottom of my comments.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:07:02 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 07:17:20 PM »
Rest assured....  There are more FAR LEFT WING LIBERALS walking on the campus of YSU and any other COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY in this coutry for that matter...  I guess Brown will give the student athletes a well rounded higher education experience....  We must accept all Paladin or do we?

Offline k9_r

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 07:44:49 PM »
It is not my job to carry the water for Ron Brown. But I do know one thing. YSU just got an excellent coach and he deserves respect for his nearly 30 years of service to his young charges. Pretty sure he'll be a good coach for YSU.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 07:50:20 PM »
The guy has been coaching for almost 30 years... Nebraska people love him. Obviously his players do too. It's a free country, let him spout on about his religious beliefs as long as he can coach up our RB's. Get a grip people.