Author Topic: 2015 YSU Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 160145 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 YSU Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #225 on: February 03, 2015, 10:28:48 PM »
What does a walk-on sign, 05 ?

It sounds like another inflated story of local stars nobody offered schollie to.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 03, 2015, 10:45:28 PM »
What does a walk-on sign, 05 ?

It sounds like another inflated story of local stars nobody offered schollie to.

I think your exactly right. Funny how that comes out day before NSD... Lol

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2015, 06:51:01 AM »
He doesn't sign anything but because he went to Mooney people in the Mahoning Valley think he's good.  For example my father (who went to Mooney) is still brainwashed in thinking that every Mooney football player is scholarship eligible anywhere, calls me on the phone to tell me that Pelini signed a kid from Mooney.   I told him that he's probably not good enough to play and then he begins a new argument how they have such a great football team etc.   I tell him watch and see.  But if there are local kids on the team crowd turnout will be better even if we lose.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:07:06 AM by penguinpower »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 04, 2015, 08:56:33 AM »
Hey Penquinpower, Sorry, but I doubt having a WR who is deep down the depth chart will increase attendance more than 2 (parents) if we loose!  Everybody needs special team players, hopefully he can help out there at least.  I have a friend who is the same as your dad with OSU.  EVERY player is going to be all-pro someday! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 04, 2015, 08:58:34 AM »
Or even if we lose.  Sorry, bad speller, but worse typist!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2015, 09:09:11 AM »
Hey Penquinpower, Sorry, but I doubt having a WR who is deep down the depth chart will increase attendance more than 2 (parents) if we loose!  Everybody needs special team players, hopefully he can help out there at least.  I have a friend who is the same as your dad with OSU.  EVERY player is going to be all-pro someday!

Then how is it they get 17k at a Mooney vs Ursuline game and 2000 at a YSU game?  Just saying.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 04, 2015, 01:29:46 PM »
Penquinpower,  You think they go to Mooney because it's Mooney?  Let them lose for a few years and YSU make the playoffs for a few under Bo and you'll see a complete turnaround.  We won't see this happen of course.  Because of the unfair recruiting advantage the Catholic schools have, Mooney will always contend, but you'll see 17000+ at YSU in 2015. 

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 04, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »
17000+ ?  Butts in seats ?  In 2015 ?    Man that must be some powerful dope you are  smoking.

The hype machine is in full bloom !  ;D

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2015, 02:12:34 PM »
Penquinpower,  You think they go to Mooney because it's Mooney?  Let them lose for a few years and YSU make the playoffs for a few under Bo and you'll see a complete turnaround.  We won't see this happen of course.  Because of the unfair recruiting advantage the Catholic schools have, Mooney will always contend, but you'll see 17000+ at YSU in 2015.

We will average more than that. It will settle down to that amount. I expect the first few game to be sellouts, so the average will be 17k or above.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2015, 03:22:37 PM »
Hey 1AA, I'm pretty optimistic, but averaging 17K is quite a step up.  We'll probably start with a loss, so even the first home game is questionable to get to 17K.  Plus, we have some HUGE question marks on defense, where we are desperate for secondary help along with LB DT and K & P Offense needs TE C and WR.  That's a lot of questions for a team that is 4-4 last season against BCS schools that offer scholarships.  If Bo gets started ok and we win a few, then maybe we can approach 17K after the first game, but we’ve been quite a while since we have been completive on a national state, let’s not get carried away!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »
YSU  starts with a loss to Pitt as Narduzzi loads up on the Guins. Then the first home games are against major  WEENIES  Robert Morris and St. Francis. YSU will not be picked to finish in the Top 3 of the MVFC and you guys are talking 17000+ ?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ROFLMAO !

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2015, 04:24:18 PM »
You have some good points Go guins, but I still think we will be doing well. Perhaps 17k average is bit high, but not much. Here is why:

1. I think the fact that there is a sense of newness.
2. Improved defensive play, which we all expect.
3. The locality of this first recruiting class. When is the last time any of us saw older and younger fans in attendance? I am almost 50, so I am old, but I am talking even older. Likewise, I am not talking about students (yet), but young parents (those with kids from toddler through HS) and high-school kids themselves. The university better bone-up and pay to keep these tailgate lots open and protected all day (including during the game).
4. The game against Pitt will be largely irrelevant as with much of the money games. Fans expect to lose, even though we have beaten Pitt once.
5. The level of expectation is higher. This will taper down as we reach mid-season. However, at that point, the conference-only fan-base (those interested in better games) should begin to show up. The net result is similar-levels.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2015, 05:08:26 PM »
This is not "hype machine" but it is true anecdotal information.   I was in the bookstore buying my brother a hooded sweatshirt for Christmas and it was busy even though school was on break.  I ask the cashier about it and she said it “had been busy since the new coach was hired.”  Thought that was a good sign for the first home game.  Schedule is tough enough, but no Northern Iowa who I think will be #1 at the end of the season.  Need to go 8-4 or roof will fall, attendance wise.  (hoodie was BEAUTIFUL!)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2015, 07:16:03 PM »
Got a chance to listen to Bo's press conference on incoming class. He was very clear on 3 major points. The want to recruit local kids - Recruiting kids from successful programs - and the need to take extra players to add depth to the roster. He stated that the measurable's of the players didn't play a role In the thought process. I feel you can get away with that at the D-2 D-3 and lower conference programs of the D-1 FCS level but not the Missouri. It's SPEED ON SPEED, SIZE ON SIZE, STRENGHT ON STRENGHT - EVERY SINGLE DOWN. Being a smart and tough player won't overcome physical weaknesses completely on this level. Take the T.E. for example we targeted from Indiana that committed to Indiana State. Look at his film and then look at the film on the linebacker's that just committed here. Who do you think wins that BATTLE? I've watched film on all the other Missouri conference teams commits..There is speed at every position, that is what this year's class is lacking. I can see why Bo took the recruiting approach he did and I can respect that. I just hope in the near future he doesn't avoid other parts of the Nation completely - That would be a huge mistake

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »
Got a chance to listen to Bo's press conference on incoming class. He was very clear on 3 major points. The want to recruit local kids - Recruiting kids from successful programs - and the need to take extra players to add depth to the roster. He stated that the measurable's of the players didn't play a role In the thought process. I feel you can get away with that at the D-2 D-3 and lower conference programs of the D-1 FCS level but not the Missouri. It's SPEED ON SPEED, SIZE ON SIZE, STRENGHT ON STRENGHT - EVERY SINGLE DOWN. Being a smart and tough player won't overcome physical weaknesses completely on this level. Take the T.E. for example we targeted from Indiana that committed to Indiana State. Look at his film and then look at the film on the linebacker's that just committed here. Who do you think wins that BATTLE? I've watched film on all the other Missouri conference teams commits..There is speed at every position, that is what this year's class is lacking. I can see why Bo took the recruiting approach he did and I can respect that. I just hope in the near future he doesn't avoid other parts of the Nation completely - That would be a huge mistake

What grade do you give this class?