Author Topic: Can we still make the playoffs if we win out?  (Read 14765 times)

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Can we still make the playoffs if we win out?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »
Big Red.....Thanks
I'm still here and still cheering it's just
that they can't hear me when they are
so many miles away. Gotta book more
home games.

GO PENGUINS

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
If we win out we will make the playoffs. If we make the playoffs by winning out, we will be on a 4 game winning streak and obviously feeling better about ourselves than we do now. Once the playoffs start, anything can happen. Did anyone think Indiana St would win at North Dakota St or Missouri St would win at Illinois St? So if you make the playoffs, you are playoff material. A loss Saturday ends those thoughts. Let's see how it plays out.

Plus 1 ^^ and I usually don't agree with this guy  ;D
You should agree more often. It would make you look ALOT smarter.

Offline Pengwinz1

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 05:58:49 PM »
   I don't believe we can win at SDSU.  I hope I am wrong, but I also know what the team will be facing up in Brookings.  They are a team of badass tough, mostly South Dakota kids that play very good football.  They play with intensity, and physicality that any team would be proud of.  As a side note, and this is just speculation on my part, they are mostly kids that knew where Brookings was, and who SDSU was before they were run off from other programs.  They wanted to be Jackrabbits!  Their fans are rabbid.  Pun intended.   Their coaches are sharp to say the least.  Long travel time, with a time change, and another long drive from Sioux Falls to Brookings doesn't help either.  The Fargo, and UNI domes may be tougher places to play, but Brookings has to be third.  Add a great passing game that still has a running attack to play power football, and you have a tough test.  Their defense is hostile, and physical, and do pretty good against the pass.  I think the thread needs to be "Can we run the table?"  I have a lot of respect for the program they have up there.  I have attended a game there, and you walk away from there envious of how complete the peices are for a program with lofty goals.  It is apparent everywhere.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Two posters have suggested that SDSU has a great passing attack.  Where is that coming from?  If you believe their fans, they rank 116 out of 121 in passing efficiency. They average about 151 yards per game and have thrown only 5 td passes against a staggering 12 interceptions.  What they do well is run: 220 yds per game with an excellent back.  They could not score a td against the worst UNI defense any of us has ever seen.

Their defense is the strength, giving up only 114 yds per game on the ground but also 187 yds through the air.  I watched them struggle on ESPN3 against a bad Missouri State offense.  MSU ran a spread attack and had wide open receivers that could not catch and a quarterback that could not find them or deliver the ball accurately on the rare occasions when he did.  The UNI offense had little trouble against them.

For the third week in a row, we go into a game with superior physical talent.  The problem is, of course, that SDSU is very well coached and we are not.  Saturday probably marks the effective end of Eric Wolford's career as a head coach.  What then follows will be two years and three games of lame duck status.  That will do wonders for this wounded program.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »
It came straight out of Lindy's football preview magazine.  The league's #1 passing attack (287 yards pg.)  I guess they were wrong.  Anyway, hope the real YSU shows up and gets an important road win.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »
 Rank   Team                G Att Com Int     Pct    Yds    TD  YDPG
101. South Dakota St. 7 191 100  12   52.36 1063   5 151.86

Thats what The Sports network is saying as of right now.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 07:44:29 AM »
If we win out we will make the playoffs. If we make the playoffs by winning out, we will be on a 4 game winning streak and obviously feeling better about ourselves than we do now. Once the playoffs start, anything can happen. Did anyone think Indiana St would win at North Dakota St or Missouri St would win at Illinois St? So if you make the playoffs, you are playoff material. A loss Saturday ends those thoughts. Let's see how it plays out.

Plus 1 ^^ and I usually don't agree with this guy  ;D
You should agree more often. It would make you look ALOT smarter.

You stick with me Grass Hopper you'll never go wrong..

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:45:15 AM by ysubigred »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 08:18:39 AM »
Two posters have suggested that SDSU has a great passing attack.  Where is that coming from?  If you believe their fans, they rank 116 out of 121 in passing efficiency. They average about 151 yards per game and have thrown only 5 td passes against a staggering 12 interceptions.  What they do well is run: 220 yds per game with an excellent back.  They could not score a td against the worst UNI defense any of us has ever seen.

Their defense is the strength, giving up only 114 yds per game on the ground but also 187 yds through the air.  I watched them struggle on ESPN3 against a bad Missouri State offense.  MSU ran a spread attack and had wide open receivers that could not catch and a quarterback that could not find them or deliver the ball accurately on the rare occasions when he did.  The UNI offense had little trouble against them.

For the third week in a row, we go into a game with superior physical talent.  The problem is, of course, that SDSU is very well coached and we are not.  Saturday probably marks the effective end of Eric Wolford's career as a head coach.  What then follows will be two years and three games of lame duck status.  That will do wonders for this wounded program.

Superior physical talent does not = superior football players  :-[

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »
Big Red (my friend)

Stick with IP....of one thing I know for certain,
IP is a LOYAL SUPPORTER (along with being sweet,
at times)...PERSON (Fan)

Whatever, for the SDS game for our great road
warriors (which we ALMOST joined save and except
for doctor appts)...those who make the trip, all
those miles, cheer loudly enough, for all of us who
would give a ton to be with you FEW. .  Yipes, how I wish we were with them.

AGING is HELL

GO PENGUINS

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 09:45:54 AM »
Big Red (my friend)

Stick with IP....of one thing I know for certain,
IP is a LOYAL SUPPORTER (along with being sweet,
at times)...PERSON (Fan)

Whatever, for the SDS game for our great road
warriors (which we ALMOST joined save and except
for doctor appts)...those who make the trip, all
those miles, cheer loudly enough, for all of us who
would give a ton to be with you FEW. .  Yipes, how I wish we were with them.

AGING is HELLGO PENGUINS

Couldn't have said it better myself  ^^

Not to worry Pita... I think IP is an OK guy he's really fun to mess with on the board  8) Since I hear he's no beer drinker I'll have to buy him a glass of warm milk when I see him  ;D