Author Topic: Another rough November for Wolford (from this morning's Vindicator)  (Read 25400 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Another rough November for Wolford (from this morning's Vindicator)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 12:06:26 PM »
The only problem with hiring someone without any Youngstown connections or even someone that has never heard of Youngstown (as mentioned in another post) is that new coach is going to have a hard time understanding why you fired a coach that had 4 straight winning seasons. If they don't understand the Youngstown tradition then they are not going to understand that playoffs are expected here. There are a lot of coaches that are not going to leave their current position (probably making more money than YSU can pay) knowing they will get fired even if they win.

What? Are you kidding me?  3 straight years with November meltdowns, do you not pay attention??  Even if there was no tradition at YSU, when you need 1 win in 3 tries to end the season to make the playoffs and you fail to do that over and over again.  You're going to get fired.....anywhere you are at.  That's a no-brainer!

Amen

Offline ohiofootball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 12:18:49 PM »
You have to remember you are talking about a FCS school...not a D1 powerhouse.... I am just telling you what I believe... 4 straight winning records (no matter when those wins come) and the coach be fired will be something some of the candidates will not be able to get over. Why leave their current position for that kind of pressure? It's not like the money is that great here.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »
Ohio....one would assume the pressure at a powerhouse D1 school would be much greater, no??  Just ask Will Muschamp in Florida.  I get it, this is FCS...but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.  You're paid to win games AND in YSUs case, get to the playoffs.  That hasn't been accomplished in the Wolford era.  Did you see the seats at the last 2 home games?  That's embarrassing and don't let anyone fool you that it was weather related.  That just gives people an excuse not to go.

It's been noted 100s of times on this forum about the level of "talent" at YSU.  Best talent in many, many years.  At that point, it's on the coaching staff to COACH said talent.   This coaching staff has failed in that aspect.  Period, end of story. 

Being a head coach has pressure, I don't care at what level you're coaching.  When all is said and done, it's about winning and then going to the playoffs or a bowl game or a tournament, etc.  If you don't accomplish that, you get replaced.  It's been 5 years and nothing but talk.  Read the article above again, he has totally alienated the entire program.  What does that tell you?

Hell, my job has pressure.  If I'm not doing my job properly, I get fired.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 12:54:33 PM »
Ohio....one would assume the pressure at a powerhouse D1 school would be much greater, no??  Just ask Will Muschamp in Florida.  I get it, this is FCS...but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.  You're paid to win games AND in YSUs case, get to the playoffs.  That hasn't been accomplished in the Wolford era.  Did you see the seats at the last 2 home games?  That's embarrassing and don't let anyone fool you that it was weather related.  That just gives people an excuse not to go.

It's been noted 100s of times on this forum about the level of "talent" at YSU.  Best talent in many, many years.  At that point, it's on the coaching staff to COACH said talent.   This coaching staff has failed in that aspect.  Period, end of story. 

Being a head coach has pressure, I don't care at what level you're coaching.  When all is said and done, it's about winning and then going to the playoffs or a bowl game or a tournament, etc.  If you don't accomplish that, you get replaced.  It's been 5 years and nothing but talk.  Read the article above again, he has totally alienated the entire program.  What does that tell you?

Hell, my job has pressure.  If I'm not doing my job properly, I get fired.

Soup I cannot argue with that post at all. It is what it is. Aside from that I can't wait to see our boys play on Saturday. Controlled temperature will be nice. And it will be a huge crowd, which will be cool for our guys to play in front of! Just want to see a good game.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »
Ohiofootball,

My ideal candidate would be a relatively young, extremely ambitious head coach who has already been successful at a lower level.  He would actually make much more money here.  He would also welcome the honor of working for Jim Tressel, and he would be greatly impressed by the facilities.  This man would fully expect to be a head coach in the Big Ten or the SEC in about five to seven years.  Having a November meltdown or finishing with a 7-5 record would be inconceivable to him.  That is the kind of guy we need.  Where he comes from is irrelevant.  Just don't place an over-reliance on an "Ohio connection."  Heacock and Wolford are Mahoning Valley natives.  How did that work out?

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
How about Shep!?!?  Great guy! He is at Waynesburg.  He would be more than appreciative to take on the roll. Finished as one of the best relievers in YSU history. He wanted the job when Wolf got it, but was not given an interview. Rick Shepas would be a good fit. Yeah maybe I'm a little bias because of personal reasons but what I do know is that he is a good coach. And a coach players will respect and want to play for. A guy who doesn't have an ego that will turn alumni and fans away. Shep has coached at Alliance, Poland Seminary, Seneca Valley, Massillon, and has been at Waynesburg University since 2005. Just a suggestion. And something tells me a guy like Shep wouldn't be looking for the type of coin that is being shelled out right now.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »
Ohiofootball,

My ideal candidate would be a relatively young, extremely ambitious head coach who has already been successful at a lower level.  He would actually make much more money here.  He would also welcome the honor of working for Jim Tressel, and he would be greatly impressed by the facilities.  This man would fully expect to be a head coach in the Big Ten or the SEC in about five to seven years.  Having a November meltdown or finishing with a 7-5 record would be inconceivable to him.  That is the kind of guy we need.  Where he comes from is irrelevant.  Just don't place an over-reliance on an "Ohio connection."  Heacock and Wolford are Mahoning Valley natives.  How did that work out?

I'm wondering how much better Heacock would have done giving the same $$ facilities and freedom Wolford gets  ???
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:01:23 PM by ysubigred »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
The answer Red is not better at all. Heacock hated recruiting and said so. Wolf has recruiting as his strongest trait. If Wolf had a strong DC, YSU would have been to the playoffs often. This year alone shows great improvement with the talent here. But that's because they finally have a good DC.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
Wolf definitely does a great job recruiting.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »
The answer Red is not better at all. Heacock hated recruiting and said so. Wolf has recruiting as his strongest trait. If Wolf had a strong DC, YSU would have been to the playoffs often. This year alone shows great improvement with the talent here. But that's because they finally have a good DC.

Man just call me blind but I'm not seeing all this supposed talent he's recruiting as "football players"?? There's a bunch of "paper tigers" but when it comes right down to it I don't believe as "football players" they are any better than what Heacock had here.  I've said it before.. YSU is out of condition both mentally and physically under Wolford. 5 years into this "Great Recruiting" YSU should look like NDSU by now  :o

Offline ohiofootball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »
Soup city - what do you do for a living? Just curious because teachers and coaches are all judged by a lot of things that are out of their control. Like I said in a previous post, whether you like Wolf or not he has put these players in a position to make it to the playoffs...they are a dropped pass, dropped interception away over the years. The coaches don't drop passes etc...it all comes down to execution. If you don't like the guy and that is why you want him fired then I can understand that. You have a great point with a lower level coach that has been successful....that is all we are going to be able to get. We will not be getting a D1 coordinator....they make too much money now to leave that.

You can't even compare Florida and Muschamp to this situation... again we are FCS. There is a big difference in the two.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 03:49:16 PM »
Soup city - what do you do for a living? Just curious because teachers and coaches are all judged by a lot of things that are out of their control. Like I said in a previous post, whether you like Wolf or not he has put these players in a position to make it to the playoffs...they are a dropped pass, dropped interception away over the years. The coaches don't drop passes etc...it all comes down to execution. If you don't like the guy and that is why you want him fired then I can understand that. You have a great point with a lower level coach that has been successful....that is all we are going to be able to get. We will not be getting a D1 coordinator....they make too much money now to leave that.

You can't even compare Florida and Muschamp to this situation... again we are FCS. There is a big difference in the two.

Why does it matter what my job is?  I'm paid to perform it and if I fail to do so in a satisfactory manner, I'll get fired.  It doesn't matter, pressure is pressure...whether it's a coach, a cop, an athlete or a military person.  At the end of the day, a coach...especially a head coach is going to be under a lot of it.  It's their gig, they're the CEO.  If the company fails, the CEO has failed as well.

One play doesn't win or lose a game.  If you think it does, then you know nothing about athletics.  The fact that YSU had 3 turnovers prior to overtime and were still in that game proves my point.  All most people remember is the one that happens last.  So we'll look at it this way, YSU basically did nothing during the 2nd/3rd quarter Saturday (1 FG while giving up 3TDs).  Then all of a sudden, they wake up in the 4th quarter.  That would be 30 minutes and in your estimation, 30 minutes lacking execution.  Is that the players fault? or the coaches?  30 minutes, 2 quarters of lack of execution.  And the SAME players are still in game?  not executing properly?  Who is at fault there??  players? coaches?

Look, I don't like Wolford.  I think he's a pompous, arrogant ass.  I've felt that way since day 1.  He hasn't gotten better as a Head Coach, his staff has gotten better as a group, his teams have not better gotten throughout the season.  Actually, they've gotten worse and the record shows that.  His teams have made the same mistakes for 5 straight years and you blame that on execution???  How about him never taking the blame; yet has no problem throwing these kids under the bus (like he did to Wells on Saturday)?  Come on now!!!  If it's an execution problem, then maybe...just maybe these kids have quit on him.  In each of the last 3 seasons.  I hope not, but I would definitely understand if they did.

At the end of the day, that hasn't stopped me from rooting for this team for the last 5 years.  Regardless, he has failed and needs to be replaced.

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 04:01:13 PM »
The only problem with hiring someone without any Youngstown connections or even someone that has never heard of Youngstown (as mentioned in another post) is that new coach is going to have a hard time understanding why you fired a coach that had 4 straight winning seasons. If they don't understand the Youngstown tradition then they are not going to understand that playoffs are expected here. There are a lot of coaches that are not going to leave their current position (probably making more money than YSU can pay) knowing they will get fired even if they win.

What? Are you kidding me?  3 straight years with November meltdowns, do you not pay attention??  Even if there was no tradition at YSU, when you need 1 win in 3 tries to end the season to make the playoffs and you fail to do that over and over again.  You're going to get fired.....anywhere you are at.  That's a no-brainer!

+1
Soup nailed it.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 04:11:04 PM »

Man just call me blind but I'm not seeing all this supposed talent he's recruiting as "football players"?? There's a bunch of "paper tigers" but when it comes right down to it I don't believe as "football players" they are any better than what Heacock had here.  I've said it before.. YSU is out of condition both mentally and physically under Wolford. 5 years into this "Great Recruiting" YSU should look like NDSU by now  :o

Right on Red. Not impressed with Wolf's recruiting at all and I am tired of hearing about it. Heacock had far better football players on his teams. You people take a comment made by by Heacock and repeated by Hannon and put it out of context. Heacock said he did not like the process of recruiting, as opposed to one-on-one coaching. He never said he hates recruiting. He hates being gone for weeks on end and missing many duties at home as the HC. He went on to say that he liked recruiting as a position coach and coordinator, because he would go out and stay out until it was done. As, HC, he had to go back and forth ...sometimes several times a week. Recruiting an athlete should be a rarity ...Wolf makes it a "norm".

Furthermore, the lack of teaching fundamentals just kills these kind of athletes. The improvement in defense can be attributed to a simplification  of play and attention to the fundamentals. Unfortunately this should have happened 4-years ago. Now when we get into November ...where we finally start to play good teams ..."vanilla" defense does not win games.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:33:12 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ohiofootball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »
Actually I played college football and now am a HS coach so I beg to differ than I don't know anything about sports....especially football. I asked you about your job because if you haven't been in coaching/teaching you have no idea what goes into it and all the other factors.  You don't know that the kid that might have gotten a personal foul was in the coach's office the day before because his dad beat the sh** out of his mom last night and is now in jail. Or the quarterback that threw an interception is worried about his girlfriend that is in the hospital having a baby. Or the punt returner that fumbled got a call from his mom last night that his family was evicted and he needs to send his Pell Grant money home (just a few things that happened in one week while  I was playing). No other job is played out in the media with so many critics than coaching... and don't give me the BS that they make enough money... If you figure the hourly wage of MOST coaches it is below minimum wage.

You don't think "one play" makes or breaks a game? Ask Auburn fans how they feel about that....2 fumbles in 4 plays, ask ND's Brian Kelly...a fumble to let NW come back and tie it and send it to OT. I am not going to argue with you about your feelings for Wolf. I don't know him very well and you are entitled to feel how you feel. I don't know if he has called out players in the past or not but I watched the interview from Saturday. I wasn't in the press room but I have been in one before and I am sure it went something like this..
Reporter: "Coach, why would you throw the ball on first down in OT when you had been running the ball so well all day?"
Coach: "We didn't call a pass, it was a run with a pass option that the QB checked off to"
He is telling the truth..... Ask Hunter Wells himself....he will be the first to admit he made a mistake.

I am out now.... I wish I could carry on intelligent conversations with people on this board....but if you didn't play or coach you really can't truly evaluate players and coaches..... Good thing is Jim Tressel did and he is the one that is making decisions.