Author Topic: No butts in the seats and tailgate lot was just as bad!  (Read 42672 times)

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: No butts in the seats and tailgate lot was just as bad!
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2014, 10:14:02 AM »
I was there, and so was my family, all the way to the end of the game.  :)

ValleyTalk

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »
I was unable to attend due to a family function, but I caught the 2nd half on TV live. I am not worrying too much about the attendance. We were in a similar position last year and the fans are aware we blew it. If we win next week, which I fully expect us to do, then I expect a very nice showing in 2 weeks.

Let's face it folks, the weather was awful yesterday. I sat outside Friday night in Akron in a light to moderate rain, but it was still 40-45 degrees and it was bearable. The winds and cold yesterday were pretty rough. I am not making excuses, but we have not had much luck this year with the weather.

If it can be upper 40s or low 50s in two weeks for Indiana State with no precip, the fans will show.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »
Good group of kids out there on the field.. Need support. Running out of time, one home game left.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »
Outside of only a few places, FCS football is largely irrelevant. I was at Nova's homecoming last weekend. Only about 6,000 in the stadium to watch a top 5 team. There were probably twice that at the local bars getting ready for Penn State and OSU. Just the reality.

On another note I have never or will never pay for a YSU ticket. They are just too easy to get free. I could call 5 random people and get tickets.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
A few weeks ago, Scalzo wrote:

". Not to beat a dead horse, but there was a story on FBSschedules.com this week about Kent State paying $300,000 to its FCS opponents over the next few years.

I know athletic director Ron Strollo only wants to play home-and-home series with the Mid-American Conference schools, but YSU-Kent State would be a lot more fun than YSU-Butler, or Kent State-Kennesaw State.

On the other hand, I get to go to both Dakotas this year, so why am I complaining? I just need to make sure I pack my suntan lotion"

http://www.vindy.com/mobile/weblogs/penguin-insider/ysu-finds-quarterback-gets-big-victory/

Right on, Joe.  Get paid a nice bankroll to clobber some MAC schools, improve fan interest, and improve SOS.  It kills me to see 2-3 1AAA schools on the schedule very year.

Curb stomping Kent in their house would improve #of seats w/butts on them .
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
Outside of only a few places, FCS football is largely irrelevant. I was at Nova's homecoming last weekend. Only about 6,000 in the stadium to watch a top 5 team. There were probably twice that at the local bars getting ready for Penn State and OSU. Just the reality.

On another note I have never or will never pay for a YSU ticket. They are just too easy to get free. I could call 5 random people and get tickets.

There are like 100,000 more things to do in Eastern Pennsylvania, and that area does not claim to be a hotbed for football like Youngstown and the Mahoning valley. Yet they still getc a decent turnout

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »
The one thing that a major college program, or even HS for that matter, is atmosphere that makes you get into the game and want to be in the stands and a part of it.  I look around the Youngstown area and there is very little in YSU clothing lines in the stores, no stores flying Penguin flags or playing the fight song.  I have a granddaughter at State Penn and the atmosphere there is electric - heck the same can be said at Akron.  Youngstown does very little to promoter their university yet they have no problem reaping the benefits.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »
Remember last year, 8-2 coming off a tough loss against UNI....

1. AT HOME AGAINST #1 NDSU
2. Inducting Jimmy T in the HOF
3. There were probably 12,000 people there.... Maybe.

Offline BarstoolCleveland

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
I'm a young alumnus of YSU (24 years old) and live in Cleveland. I make it to every game. We can spend hours complaining, but it won't matter.

YSU's marketing is quite good. Way better than Cleveland State, Kent or Akron. Go to any of those towns, and you won't know a University even exists.

YSU lacks on its media side. The sports info department is very poor at getting the word out to media outside of the Youngstown market. I think we need to find a media member from the Pitt or Cle market to replace some of the dead weight that gets our media coverage out there.

There's no life in the Youngstown area. No new industry. No jobs. Smart graduates like myself are forced to leave the area. If you're going to blame anyone, blame the politicians. They've buried this area, and have done next to nothing to grow jobs. Alums like myself will continue to move away. There will be no young people like myself left in the area to support this school. I see a lot of politicians walking around the tailgate lot, asking for votes. They are the reason the area is dying. Tell them this. Elect new people. Instead, you welcome these losers with open arms. You get what you deserve. There's no jobs.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »
^^^^Bar Stool is right on!!

I love Youngstown....but the mental slavery there is unreal.

You get the government you deserve.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »
I'm a young alumnus of YSU (24 years old) and live in Cleveland. I make it to every game. We can spend hours complaining, but it won't matter.

YSU's marketing is quite good. Way better than Cleveland State, Kent or Akron. Go to any of those towns, and you won't know a University even exists.

YSU lacks on its media side. The sports info department is very poor at getting the word out to media outside of the Youngstown market. I think we need to find a media member from the Pitt or Cle market to replace some of the dead weight that gets our media coverage out there.

There's no life in the Youngstown area. No new industry. No jobs. Smart graduates like myself are forced to leave the area. If you're going to blame anyone, blame the politicians. They've buried this area, and have done next to nothing to grow jobs. Alums like myself will continue to move away. There will be no young people like myself left in the area to support this school. I see a lot of politicians walking around the tailgate lot, asking for votes. They are the reason the area is dying. Tell them this. Elect new people. Instead, you welcome these losers with open arms. You get what you deserve. There's no jobs.

Totally agree. Forced to move after 37 years because if there is a D on the ballot the nimrods vote that one automatically

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2014, 02:10:52 PM »
It's all about jobs. And there are very limited decent paying jobs for youngsters. The area is declining every single year.

This is going to affect enrollment.

This is going to affect attendance.

But people still refuse to believe this is a dying area. Drive around the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Columbus. Then look at me with a straight face and say strut hers, liberty, girard, austintown and Campbell are appealing.

The politicians (Hagan, Ryan, any mayor of any city, betras) they are the problem!!!

But this message board is typical of this area. Placing blame where problems don't exist. Wtf will firing coaches and marketing people do to keep people from moving out of the area? It's the ignorance that got us in this problem to begin with.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2014, 02:35:15 PM »
It's all about jobs. And there are very limited decent paying jobs for youngsters. The area is declining every single year.

But people still refuse to believe this is a dying area. Drive around the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Columbus. Then look at me with a straight face and say strut hers, liberty, girard, austintown and Campbell are appealing.

The politicians (Hagan, Ryan, any mayor of any city, betras) they are the problem!!!

But this message board is typical of this area. Placing blame where problems don't exist. Wtf will firing coaches and marketing people do to keep people from moving out of the area? It's the ignorance that got us in this problem to begin with.

Ok, this is not a political message board. It's a YSU sports message board where we talk sports. Talk about the decline of the city somewhere else. It is what it is..... Marketing department is the problem. Heck, we had one of our posters, Mr. Bryan make an awesome hyped up video on for one of the home games this year that was better than I've seen ANYTHING the athletic department has put out.

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »
^^^^ here lies the problem. Whenever anyone brings up a legitimate, intelligent, point, no one listens.

Attendance is down, because population is down. Graduates aren't staying in the area. Ysu has a huge following in Cleveland, Columbus and Pittsburgh. We need media coverage in those towns. Marketing ain't the problem. Lack of media coverage and population decline is. Politicians aren't bringing in job, to keep graduates like me here. Same goes with my 5 best friends from YSU.

Ignore it, or place blame elsewhere all you want. But a 2 minutes YouTube video ain't bringing in all the graduates moving out of the area.

Now back to 0505 calling for everyone to be fired. That's effective!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »

Ok, this is not a political message board. It's a YSU sports message board where we talk sports. Talk about the decline of the city somewhere else. It is what it is..... Marketing department is the problem. Heck, we had one of our posters, Mr. Bryan make an awesome hyped up video on for one of the home games this year that was better than I've seen ANYTHING the athletic department has put out.

Don't be in denial.  I like you a lot  0505 but there certainly is a factor of political allegiance that is a factor in the financial health of the area.