Author Topic: Defensive Line Play Vs Illinois State  (Read 4204 times)

Online penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Defensive Line Play Vs Illinois State
« on: November 10, 2014, 12:21:08 PM »
What did they do to neutralize the DL?  WE played better against Illinois.  Rivers and Williams were not factors?  Anyone?  If this is correctable it needs to get fixed now.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Defensive Line Play Vs Illinois State
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 01:20:12 PM »
First off I think ISU had a very big O line and I believe they are a veteran group.
Did not make the trip to Illinois, but was in Youngstown to watch the game.  I will admit that it is hard to figure out what was taking place by watching in on the tube, but it appeared that the DL was to contain up the middle and let the others contain the outside - which didn't work in the second half.  We did pressure their QB initially.  The DL looked gassed in the 4th and I attribute that to the pace of the Illinois offense not conditioning. 

Then there seemed to be a lot of confusion among the coaching staff at times.   I posted on another thread: #90 on the first qtr. goal line stand - He comes out, then goes in when the players wave frantically that only 10 men on the field.  Next thing the coach calls him out and then is sent in.  Wonder we didn't get an illegal substitution penalty.  The kid had 2 tackles and then didn't see much time after that.  What is his problem?  And where has Zaborsky been lately?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:35:07 PM by ScarletRook »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:32:30 PM »
They helped the RT handle Rivers with a back quite a bit after his sack on the first drive. They also started throwing a lot of shorter patterns, as evidenced by #19 with all those comeback patterns. I think he's still open for a 3rd down conversion.

The rest of the d-line played their normal game I think. Without Rivers causing chaos they don't impress. OK against the run but non-existent unless Rivers makes the QB pull the ball down.

Is Kitchen ever going to play? If Wolf says he's the best ever why do I not notice him?

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »
Jimmy Kitchen gets in the game in obvious passing downs.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »
They helped the RT handle Rivers with a back quite a bit after his sack on the first drive. They also started throwing a lot of shorter patterns, as evidenced by #19 with all those comeback patterns. I think he's still open for a 3rd down conversion.

The rest of the d-line played their normal game I think. Without Rivers causing chaos they don't impress. OK against the run but non-existent unless Rivers makes the QB pull the ball down.

Is Kitchen ever going to play? If Wolf says he's the best ever why do I not notice him?

Kitchen has played the last 2 games.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »

Kitchen has played the last 2 games.

I guess Wolf overestimated his impact  ;D