Author Topic: MVFC Playoff Outlook  (Read 41353 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
MVFC Playoff Outlook
« on: October 26, 2014, 01:39:06 AM »
Lots of FB to be played, but seems to me 4 Valley teams will likely make it with 8 wins or better.  IMO, a 7-5 MVFC team would defeat the majority of auto- and at-large bids, but I don't see the selection committee sharing that opinion.

IN barring the Apocalypse:

NDSU   4-0 / 8-0  (not only in but should get the #1 seed and all home games through Frisco.)
ISUr     4-0 / 7-0   (even if loses next two to UNI and YSU)

Likely in:

YSU    3-1 / 6-2   (TOUGH November schedule....the ISUb game may become a de facto playoff game)
SDSU  2-2 / 5-3   (I think a 3-0 after Fargo gets them in....unless the D3 game is not counted..)

Possibly in:

ISUb   2-2 / 5-3   (still has SDSU and YSU.....I don't see both YSU and ISUb in....prolly a just miss)

Doubtful:

UNI     2-2 / 4-4   (needs to win out....next two games ISUr and NDSU.....good luck)
SIU     2-3 / 5-4    (needs to win out...with UNI and ISUr ahead.......)
MO St  1-3 / 4-4   (needs to win out.....with NDSU, ISUb, and UNI ahead)

Out:

WIU    1-4 / 3-6    (they can brag they beat YSU at least)
SD       0-4 / 2-6    (MVFC bottom feeders beat NAU who beat #2 EWU...and would likely win the first round if selected).
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MVFC Playoff Outlook
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:36:31 AM »
In

NDSU
ISUr

In if they lose 1 more game

YSU
ISUb

Have to win out to have a shot

SDSU (one of their wins vs non D1 school)
UNI
SIU
MSU

Out

USD
WIU
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:37:05 AM by DoubleE »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 09:25:06 AM »
Agreed.  YSU appears to control its destiny, and at 3-1, YSU is in. This is possible. At 2-2 it gets very murky and depends on other games and the good graces of the selection committee. MVFC teams could knock each other out, but it looks like this could happen in two or three other conferences, too.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 01:57:01 PM »
YSU controlled their own destiny last year.  We see how that worked out with the committee.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »
YSU controlled their own destiny last year.  We see how that worked out with the committee.

Losing 3 games to end the season. Don't blame the committee at all for that decision.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 03:47:33 PM »
Yes but what if those games were randomly spaced during the season?  Would it have mattered if they lost those 3 games early and won out? 

Teams cannot control their conference schedules and therefore should not be penalized for when games are played.
 Some teams benefit from timing.  Imagine last year playin UNI 2 weeks earlier.   It would have been a W.  8 wins in a good conference that is worth a lot.  It should be based solely on record
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:50:10 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 04:05:17 PM »
In a fair and just world, all 10 MVFC teams would be in.

Look at the SFU win over a ranked Sacred Heart.

We laugh at opponents like SFU, call then "cupcake" games, and even talk about how they are so feeble that they hurt us in terms of preparation for league play as well as post-season selection....and one of these cupcakes beats a ranked team.

It is the league's job to advocate for it's member schools....and IMO frankly the MVFC sucks at that.....
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 04:08:05 PM »
Yes but what if those games were randomly spaced during the season?  Would it have mattered if they lost those 3 games early and won out? 

Teams cannot control their conference schedules and therefore should not be penalized for when games are played.
 Some teams benefit from timing.  Imagine last year playin UNI 2 weeks earlier.   It would have been a W.  8 wins in a good conference that is worth a lot.  It should be based solely on record

But they weren't spaced out. It's the human element of the game. No committee is going to put a team in the playoffs who just lost 3 games in a row to end the season and playing bad football... And not just losing, getting beatdown in those games. YSU did not deserve to make the playoffs last year.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 04:09:46 PM »
How about we just worry about SD this Saturday!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 05:04:51 PM »
How about we just worry about SD this Saturday!
Agreed---Never forget the Missouri State game--SD is not an automatic 'W'.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Not blaming the committee,  We needed to win one of the last three premium games within our division last season.  We didn't do that!  Just saying we cant' afford to leave no doubt this time, and need to win three of our last four.  South Dakota will be up for us after the thumping they took, and Ind. St will not be a push over.  Don't get me started on Ill. St and ND St.  In short, we still have our hands full, and a lot of things to clean up.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 02:10:50 AM »
I began to bring up the word playoffs to Christian yesterday, and he about snapped and cut me off in the middle of saying it. Pretty much told me it is not on any of their minds in the locker room this season, and that they are truly taking it one game at a time this year as they know what happens when you get caught looking ahead. Worrying about South Dakota is the most important thing right now. Seems like the players all have their minds in the right place. Need to continue to stay healthy. Was a good win this weekend...

NDSU beat South Dakota 47-7 this saturday.. Would be nice to see us have a statement win on saturday, anyone else agree?

I agree though that more than 2 teams will make the playoffs this season from the MVFC. But im hoping we don't have to sweat that, and that we go 3-1 through these last 4 games. Tough conference to play in.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 08:58:08 AM »
I agree with the statement win--also feel a lot better knowing from great authority that the Penguins focus is where it should be--I've been extremely paranoid about this due to our past history.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »
I began to bring up the word playoffs to Christian yesterday, and he about snapped and cut me off in the middle of saying it. Pretty much told me it is not on any of their minds in the locker room this season, and that they are truly taking it one game at a time this year as they know what happens when you get caught looking ahead. Worrying about South Dakota is the most important thing right now. Seems like the players all have their minds in the right place. Need to continue to stay healthy. Was a good win this weekend...

NDSU beat South Dakota 47-7 this saturday.. Would be nice to see us have a statement win on saturday, anyone else agree?

I agree though that more than 2 teams will make the playoffs this season from the MVFC. But im hoping we don't have to sweat that, and that we go 3-1 through these last 4 games. Tough conference to play in.

Good to hear! Especially after the last couple years. Gotta take care of business 1 week at a time.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 10:53:46 AM »
NDSU and ISU are in the playoffs barring a major catastrophe. They do not play each other this year, and it's hard to see either team finishing with more than 3 losses. Given both played an all full scholarship OOC schedule, and NDSU beat Iowa State and Montana, even with 3 losses both teams make the playoffs.

YSU is definitely in if the go 4-0 or 3-1 these last 4 games. Going 2-2 to finish at 8-4/5-3 leaves room for the committee to find a reason to NOT select YSU as an at-large team. Having said that, I think 8-4/5-3 will be good enough for YSU to make the playoffs this year.

Indy State is in a pretty good position at 5-3/2-2. They have the win over Ball State(FBS) and also Liberty(5-3). Indy played 2 FBS teams and 2 full scholarship FCS teams in their OOC schedule. Of the 4 remaining games, they will likely be favored in 3... home against SDSU, home against MSU and @ WIU... Only game they will likely be the underdog is at YSU. Indy State has a very good chance to finish 8-4/5-3, or even 9-3/6-2. And, the OOC schedule ought to help if 8-4 or 7-5 and on the bubble.

SDSU is in trouble. They are 5-3/2-2, but one of the wins was over a non D1 team. So, they really cannot afford another loss, as that would put SDSU at 7-4 in the eyes of the selection committee. They also play at NDSU and at Indy State the next 2 games. Now, if they manage to win the next 2 games, 8-4/5-3 would  look much, much better, even with the Non D1 win.

UNI still has life, barely. They get both ISU and NDSU at home, then finish at SIU and home against MSU. I think UNI could sneak into the playoffs at 7-5/5-3. UNI played 2 FBS teams in the OOC schedule, and 2 full scholarship FCS teams. To finish 7-5, they have to beat either ISU or NDSU. If UNI were to win 1 of these 2 games and give ISU or NDSU their only loss, that would help a great deal.

SIU needs to win out, and even then it does not look good. SIU has a win over a non D1 team, so the best they can do in the eyes of the selection committee is 7-4. And, to do that, they have to beat ISU on the road in the final game of the season. SIU also lost to YSU and Indy State, which will hurt if YSU, Indy State and SIU all finish 8-4/5-3

Missouri State does not have a quality win, and they are going to have to win their final 4 games just to get onto "the bubble". They are 1-3 in the MVFC, and the only win was against South Dakota. Now, if they manage to go 4-0 in November, they will have earned a playoff spot... @Indy State, home SIU, home NDSU and @UNI

WIU and South Dakota have no chance at the playoffs.

I think the MVFC will get at least 3 teams, with an outside chance of 4 or 5.

The way things look right now, there is a very good possibility several teams will finish 8-4 or 7-5, and that is when quality wins, bad losses, head-to-head results and strength of schedule come into play. And, because the committee is comprised of human beings, it also brings personal biases into play.