Author Topic: MVFC Playoff Outlook  (Read 43941 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MVFC Playoff Outlook
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 12:15:38 AM »
I love how everyone is just guarenteeing that UNI is gonna win the last 2 games.... Lol. Anything can happen!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 12:19:43 AM »
With two BCS games in their OOC schedule......wins over ISUr and NDSU....I'm not so sure they couldn't lose another and still get in....but naw....they'll run the table......
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

ValleyTalk

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 12:22:17 AM »
With two BCS games in their OOC schedule......wins over ISUr and NDSU....I'm not so sure they couldn't lose another and still get in....but naw....they'll run the table......
You know how UNI has our number? Well, SIU has given UNI fits for years and seems to dominate whenever they play in Carbondale. Would not be surprised if SIU beats UNI, not one bit. I think you will find that many UNI fans feel this way as well.

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »
NDSU, ISUr, UNI are most likely in

We win out we are in, 1-1 we are a bubble team

ISUb, SDSU, SIU need to win out and be a bubble

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 10:26:43 AM »
It is possible 5 teams get in:

NDSU
ISUr
UNI....likely will win out
SDSU.....likely will win out
the winner of YSU and ISUb

If YSU loses to ISUb, ISUb runs the table, and YSU beats NDSU...than all 6 may get in. :o

FWIW, some BSC and CAA fans claim that the MVFC is top heavy with NDSU and not really that different than those conferences.  I think UNI beating NDSU refutes that.  It'd also be good to see a non-NDSU Valley team win in Frisco.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:20:18 AM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2014, 11:56:04 AM »
Sad to say and I hope i'm wrong but all you need to say to this coach is the word "Playoffs" and expect the worst. 

ValleyTalk

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »
History may be on our side.

Indiana State has won just twice at Stambaugh, once in 2010 and once in 1995. YSU has won the other 9 meetings at Stambaugh.

Second, and this is the big one, Northern Iowa has not won in Carbondale since 1996, when William Jefferson Clinton was running for a 2nd term for President.

If YSU wins Saturday and UNI is knocked off by SIU, then I think we will be in very good shape.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »
Best conference in FCS hands down.  fb Never know who the hell is going to win. It's head scratching following the scores and watching the games every saturday.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »
What if......YSU beats both ISUb and NDSU?

I think that would be a seed and first round bye.

FWIW....there's no scenario where YSU can still get the auto-bid.....the ISUr game eliminated that option.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 04:37:36 PM »
Win both games and come up with the cash and we have a home game for thanksgiving. Lose either one and we eat crow.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »
We can't just look at YSU or the MVFC ratings to understand playoff selection. A big issue affecting the MVFC is the possibility of two 3-way ties in two other conferences that could absorb at large spots. Big Sky may end up with E. Washington, Montana State, and Northern Arizona as cochamps.  I realize lots of people on this board do not see Northern Arizona as a playoff caliber team, and they're probably right, but because of their conference's scheduling they are on track for 9-3 overall and conference cochamps, and it will be hard for the committee to ignore that. I see the committee taking all three in this scenario. Idaho St. could upset Montana State, but that would still leave a 3-way tie for first in the conference, now with Idaho St. as a cochamp, and then the added problem for the selection committee becomes what to do with 4th-place Montana State.

I don't see this as a big issue because the Big Sky usually gets multiple slots anyways, unless Big Sky ends up with four slots. The other conference really posing a problem is the MEAC, where Bethune-Cookman, N. Carolina A&T, and South Carolina St. might end up in a 3-way tie. SC St. is saying that the tiebreaker goes with them. However, that would mean leaving out Bethune-Cookman and N. Carolina A&T, both of which could end up with 10 wins overall. Although I think Bethune-Cookman is overrated, they are nationally ranked, and I find it hard to believe that the committee would allow them to sit at home in this situation. This means at least two of the three get in.

These scenarios, especially the MEAC one, affect spots available for YSU and SDSU.  I see YSU and SDSU on the bubble with several other teams competing for the last three at large spots. The YSU claim is the strongest of the bunch, but I've got this feeling that once the 3rd MVFC team is selected (I'm assuming NDSU, Ill. St., and UNI), horse trading will begin. If the committee decides to take only one MEAC team, then as many as five spots open up for the bubble teams, and SDSU then has a strong claim along with YSU. (The committee will deny there is horse trading, but most of us suspect it happens in some form. This year the other conferences will say to MVFC, "You had only two teams in last year, and this year we are letting you have three, so you should be happy with this and let some other conferences get their 2nd and 3rd place teams in." This is why I am not confident that an 8-4 YSU team is in.) 

Remember: YSU put itself in this situation.  A win over WIU would not required YSU to rely on the good graces of the selection committee. As much as I would like to see YSU in the playoffs, I'll have no sympathy for W. if YSU is not selected.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:01:27 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2014, 06:05:24 PM »
We have the ability to beat both NDSU and Indiana State.  That's a fact.  They just need to play without error and give 100% effort the entire game
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:06:08 PM by penguinpower »

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 07:38:13 AM »
Football is a game.. You never know who is going to win, that is why they play the game. If you play at the Division 1 level you can play ball.. Do not count this Youngstown team out. They will win this weekend. And then we go from there. The North Dakota State game is no where near a write off game. The team is very good, but is not the King of 1AA like past couple of years. Let's see what happens, let's see how we respond on saturday.. Should be a good game, and a game with more emotion than normal because there is also a handful of seniors who may never play in this stadium again, one of them being my brother.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 08:31:39 AM »
When is the last time they played without error, that's the problem they have no cleaned up the special teams mistakes which in my view cost us two games we could have won.  Now if the committee has a chance to leave YSU out.  They will!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »
When is the last time they played without error, that's the problem they have no cleaned up the special teams mistakes which in my view cost us two games we could have won.  Now if the committee has a chance to leave YSU out.  They will!

Each of the losses this year have whopper mistakes associated with them.

IL = butt punt.  Changed the game entirely.
WIU = two players ejected.  11 penalties.
ISUr = shanked punt, two blocked FGs

I too believe they have the tools to win both games....but the execution needs to be near flawless.