Author Topic: YSU at Missouri State in-Game Thread  (Read 55200 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU at Missouri State in-Game Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »
Overall great game defensively! Nice to be able to say that. Realistically should have been a shutout.. Offense was excited on that first series as we decided to take a shot down field early... But we just completley went away from the things that work again.. Offensive play calling is very bad sometimes, not a Montgomery fan, needs to be better at this level of football.. Good to be 4-1 though! Western Ill is next, and they are playing NDSU tight.

Great post

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
Overall great game defensively! Nice to be able to say that. Realistically should have been a shutout.. Offense was excited on that first series as we decided to take a shot down field early... But we just completley went away from the things that work again.. Offensive play calling is very bad sometimes, not a Montgomery fan, needs to be better at this level of football.. Good to be 4-1 though! Western Ill is next, and they are playing NDSU tight.
I believe Montgomery did not trust Nadia could consistently throw the ball for the whole game. After ahead by 2 TDs, he turned the run game. If he could not throw the ball, put Wells in. We will need the pass game to set up the run in future games.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2014, 02:21:31 PM »
HINT :  As Wolf has said many times, if the underclassman is as good as the upperclassman, he gets to play. Wells ?  Be careful what you wish for. Nania isn't very good, but he is better than Wells. And that will become apparent in "real" games with MVFC competition and not non-schollie teams barely better than D-III ability.

BTW, the game went on O as I expected. They depended on their run game and use the pass sparingly . Produced 14 pts. MSU was a disappointment. They are way over rated.  The D won this game .

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2014, 02:24:54 PM »
HINT :  As Wolf has said many times, if the underclassman is as good as the upperclassman, he gets to play. Wells ?  Be careful what you wish for. Nania isn't very good, but he is better than Wells. And that will become apparent in "real" games with MVFC competition and not non-schollie teams barely better than D-III ability.

BTW, the game went on O as I expected. They depended on their run game and use the pass sparingly . Produced 14 pts. MSU was a disappointment. They are way over rated.  The D won this game .

You can't tell me Nania is better than Wells. Nope, can't do it.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2014, 02:42:25 PM »

Now I understand. Coach M tried to hide Nadia's good passing ability so not to tip off the "real game" aka Western Illinois, next week.
Nadia was supposed to be a good " game manager". He had a fumble, an INT, numerous late pitches to running backs, missing open tight ends... I am sure I have missed a few others...
The trouble is, he cannot see over the OL.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
Gonna need to throw the ball to win this conference... And a 14 point lead doesn't mean sh** in football. Especially when it's in the first quarter. Need to bury when your on top. Wins a Win though, would like to see other kids get involved offensively also, as this is a very talented team. Next week should be interesting.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2014, 03:45:24 PM »
The offense flows much better with Wells at quarterback. Plus he's a better game manager with bigger play ability down field. That's what the offense will need to continue to win the conference games..you can't expect a performance by the defense like today every week in conference play. When a defense dares your quarterback to throw that's never a good thing.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »
Need to score points, your right, you can't expect your defense to play like that every week. Especially in this conference, where any one can win on Saturday, just look at the score around the conference today. UNI going down, and NDSU coming back and winning in the fourth quarter.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
Gonna need to throw the ball to win this conference... And a 14 point lead doesn't mean sh** in football. Especially when it's in the first quarter. Need to bury when your on top. Wins a Win though, would like to see other kids get involved offensively also, as this is a very talented team. Next week should be interesting.

The holding call that reversed the TD hurt really bad.  That would have changed the game or the missed field goal or the fumble or the blocked punt.   That was sloppy because most of what happened was self inflicted
  However if you defense is good enough they will bail you out.  They bailed us out just like in the Tressel years.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2014, 05:03:55 PM »
Since no one wants to believe it, I say bring Wells on. Its just games to lose so some here feel better about it. He ain't ready for this. But............................ what the he11.

If anyone here believes that the coaches aren't trying to win with Nania rather than Wells, you are clueless. ;D ;D ;D

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
Nania is a very athletic player, and has a very strong arm, I know this because I have been watching him since him and Christian were playing each other in High School. Sorry but the OC is not helping him.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »
I unfortunately missed most of the game on TV, but listened to Hannon and Sammarone call it. Was able to see the last few minutes and my emotions were all over the map.

I do think we went way too bland early and I would perhaps like to see them throw Wells in on a drive here and there to keep the defense honest. Nania strength is his ability to run, while Wells strength is his pinpoint accuracy throwing.

Kudos to the defense. Wolford seemed extremely confident of their game plan of stopping Harris and it worked flawlessly. Regardless, this game should never have been this close. It is remarkable that we won this game with as sloppy as we played on offense and special teams.

Clean it up and we have a contender.

Offline YSU_Penguins17

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
Was this an ugly game? You better believe it. Were we sloppy? Way too much for any fans liking. However, we got the win against what was a really talented offense in their stadium. Our defense made MSU look over matched on offense. 1-0 in this conference is better than 0-1 no matter how ugly it may be. Paladin will never be satisfied and this is probably another "Weenie" game to him. Go Penguins Beat Leathernecks.
"The Red and White are waving..."

Offline JFootball2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2014, 07:26:16 PM »
14 points vs the worst team in the confrence, outright god awful
thankfully Montgomerys contract will not be renewed after the season, hated by the vast majority of the fan base and hated by alot of guys on offense

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »
Since no one wants to believe it, I say bring Wells on. Its just games to lose so some here feel better about it. He ain't ready for this. But............................ what the he11.

If anyone here believes that the coaches aren't trying to win with Nania rather than Wells, you are clueless. ;D ;D ;D
I couldn't agree more. Bring him on. I love Dante as a person and a QB but I'm ready to see Hunter in a position to have to earn what he gets against D1 competition. Enough of the hype.