Author Topic: Offense Shines in Annual Red-White Spring Game  (Read 10395 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Offense Shines in Annual Red-White Spring Game
« on: April 25, 2014, 11:21:34 PM »
The White team scored five touchdowns in the first half and rushed for 323 yards in a 48-13 victory in the 42nd Annual Red-White Spring Game on Friday night at Stambaugh Stadium.

The White team had the first-team offense and the second-team defense, and the Red team was comprised of the first-team defense and the second-team offense. The first and second quarters had regulation timing rules, and the second half had a 30-minute continuous clock.

The early scoring barrage included four touchdowns in five drives, and the White defense allowed just one first down during that stretch. After a 54-yard touchdown pass from Dante Nania to Andrew Williams two minutes into the second quarter, the White team held a yardage edge of 268 yards to minus-1. White led 34-3 at halftime.

The White squad won for just the second time since 2003, and it won in a big way. The 48 points were the second-most points ever scored by the White team, behind only the 1995 squad's 55-point effort in a jersey scrimmage. The 35-point margin of victory was also the second-largest behind the Red's 61-7 win in 1976.

Sophomore tailback Jody Webb was the headliner of the White attack, rushing for 172 yards and four touchdowns on just 12 carries. Freshman Ryan Moore had 94 yards and a touchdown on seven totes, and redshirt-freshman quarterback Ricky Davis also found the endzone on a 12-yard rush.

In the quarterback battle, Nania posted the most yardage and the game's long passing touchdown. He was 4-for-6 for 79 yards, which included the 54-yard pass in stride to Williams early in the second quarter. Davis finished 5-for-6 for 66 yards as the other White quarterback.

Red freshman tailback Sidney Sandidge had the biggest play of the night, a 70-yard touchdown rush in the fourth quarter. He finished with 87 yards on 12 carries, and Edmond Jacobs added 29 yards for the Red.

Red quarterback Tanner Garry had game highs of eight completions on 17 attempts and finished with 66 yards. Nick Wargo added 46 yards on 4-of-9 passing. That duo was sacked a combined nine times by the White defense. Marcel Caver and Michael Wheary shared game-high honors with four catches for the Red team.

Eric Thompson had a good first series for the Red defense, and he finished with 4.5 tackles, an interception a pass breakup and a forced fumble. The sophomore cornerback tackled Martin Ruiz in the backfield on the opening drive, and he intercepted Nania on an out route on third down. His turnover led to a 31-yard field goal by Joey Cejudo that gave Red a 3-0 lead.

The White team answered quickly on the legs of Webb, and it went on to score 34 consecutive points. Webb ran for 23 yards on the first play of the drive, and he found paydirt on a 33-yard run two plays later to make the score 7-3.

Davis showcased his talents as a passer and runner on a first-quarter drive that put White ahead 14-3. Davis connected with tight end Nate Adams on a 25-yard gain to start the drive, and the redshirt freshman quarterback scored on a 12-yard keeper. Ruiz had a 21-yard run, which ended when Thompson forced him to fumble out of bounds, that set up the score.

Webb scored on a 7-yard run with 25 seconds left in the first quarter, and the touchdown pass from Nania to Williams happened less than three minutes later.

The first turnover forced by the White defense came when Antoine Cox recovered a fumbled handoff between Nick Wargo and Sidney Sandidge. That led to a one-yard touchdown run by Moore, which was set up by a 22-yard run by Webb and a 28-yard run by Moore. Cox finished with a team-high seven tackles, and Jameel Smith had a game-high eight tackles for the Red squad.

Cejudo ended White's scoring run with a 42-yard field goal in the third quarter to make the score 34-6. Web scored from 12 yards out before the end of the quarter, and Sandidge's 70-yard scamper came with 13 minutes remaining in the fourth. Webb had the final score of the night on an 11-yard run with just over seven minutes left.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: Offense Shines in Annual Red-White Spring Game
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 11:40:12 PM »
Lets see here--

the White ( 1st team O) led by inexperienced and young QBs and young OL stomps the Red team (1st team D) which is the most experienced and older players and the fans are to get excited about

1. an experienced D which can't stop a young inexperienced O

2. the last place MVFC D isn't much better than last year

3 an O which will wilt against much better competition and get exploited because of youth and lacking playing time.   

good thing there are 3 weenie teams on the schedule. This could get much worse than I thought. I may have to re-evaluate my projection for the 2014 season. It might get ugly.  My immediate  thoughts.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:33:23 AM »
I'd take Davis as starting QB. Kid has a cannon and can also run. I like him a lot. Very disturbing that the starting D got shredded, yikes.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 08:26:26 AM »
Immediate thoughts:

1. Starting Oline better than I expected. No depth though.

2. On QB, do we want an inexperience Freshman or Junior? Only QB that stood out was Wargo, as being better than I expected. I still like Garry in reserve.

3. Frosh TB are very good  >>>MVFC good? We will find out, but you have to like what you see. Webb has changed. Much better initial vision and just as explosive. Playing more like a starting tailback. That Sidney from VA is the real deal. Hits much harder than his 200lb frame. Moore is a workhorse. Strollo said that Hymes has surgery today.

4. I really like that Cox from Fitch ...nice pick-up. Reminds me of the good old days. He will start.

5. Eric Thompson looks to be summer camp ready ...if not close to season form. Looks like a man among boys out there.

6. Cejudo does an adequate job on punts, but no pressure & they were just good enough. He will be solid on kicks though. Now we need to see some kick-offs. Young McFadden was a bit like the deer in the headlights, but skills seem to be there.

7. Jameel Smith is one to keep an eye on, Will be solid at FS or LB.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 09:42:22 AM »
2. On QB, do we want an inexperience Freshman or Junior? Only QB that stood out was Wargo, as being better than I expected. I still like Garry in reserve.

Not sure what game you were watching. I think Ricky Davis should get the nod at starter as he has much more upside than Nania. Regarding Wargo, he went 4 for 9 for 46 yards. Not sure how he stood out as a couple of his passes weren't within 5-10 yards of his intended receiver.

Love what I saw from the running backs. My guess is Ruiz was sat after he fumbled, again, on a long run. If he could just protect the ball a little better he will be outstanding. Webb was terrific and I really enjoyed watching Moore from South Carolina, the true freshman, have some great runs on our defense.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »
Most of the media reports this spring stressed the improvement on the defensive side of the ball.  So what happened when the lights were turned on?  See Paladin's post below.  I will never understand how a head football coach, and one now about to start his fifth season, can utterly fail to recruit talented players on both sides of the ball.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »
Wargo did NOT stand out, and Cox will NOT start. The LB core is set with Travis Williams, Kevon Caffey and Jaylin Kelly. Not sure what you were watching IAA..... Nania had a beautiful throw to Williams, but I like Davis. He's bigger, has a great arm and also has great legs, especially on his TD run on the read option. Is he inexperienced? Yes, but you gotta go with what you've got. I think Davis is a better pure passer.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 12:01:12 PM »
I did not say that Wargo was the starter ...I said he was the only one that stood out as better than I expected. Two of those bad throws were passes were almost 50-yards. Personally I would take both Davis and Garry over Nania. I was asking you if you wanted and inexperienced frosh or an inexperienced Junior. The answer has to be the freshman unless the Junior does something to make himself stand out. Right now Garry is the best game manager. If we were playing Illinois today ...I would name Garry the starter. Hopefully this offense looks completely different in August.

Remember the new rules. Over the summer, the smart hungry QB is going to watch tape over the weekend & meet with coach M for two 4-hours sessions each week.  4 hours about his own team and 4-hours looking at last year's opposition. FYI: Illinois is going to be worse this year than last ...and last year was terrible. I-AA/FCS contenders will compete and win that game.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 12:19:49 PM »
If we were playing Illinois today ...I would name Garry the starter. Hopefully this offense looks completely different in August.

I am sorry, but that statement really has me scratching my head. I see nothing in Garry that leads me to believe he is worthy of the starting QB position. His style of throwing is very unorthodox.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 02:19:12 PM »
Explain what makes you like Garry so much? Especially over Nania and Davis? I don't see it...

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 02:28:58 PM »
If we were playing Illinois today ...I would name Garry the starter. Hopefully this offense looks completely different in August.

I am sorry, but that statement really has me scratching my head. I see nothing in Garry that leads me to believe he is worthy of the starting QB position. His style of throwing is very unorthodox.

How long have you been a YSU fan? Besides Tidwell, there has not been an orthodox thrower here since 1989. Brungard threw like a girl, Cochran held the ball in a cocked position waiting for someone to come open. Ray Isaac threw more forward laterals than anyone I have ever seen. All of these guys were our QB in championship games.

Garry threw the ball 17 times and completed passes to 7 different targets. Again I did not say he was our starting QB for fall, but at this point ...he has poise and command. He took the red squad down the field multiple times with little run support. He took 5 sacks because he had no protection. All I can post about is what I saw.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »
You got to allow for some fakers on here as "analysts". Make sure you don't upset a parent or two.  BTW, the Tribune today has a write up looking at the same thing I said -- the D is in trouble and no amount of B.S. is going to change that  reality.

Davis is the best QB but they'll try to  keep everyone happy ( and prevent some transfers out). Losing a talent like  Angle to a transfer has made them much more careful in how they handle the QB situation.  Wargo will probably  never play QB at this level, Garry is a hot dog and Nania isn't all that good. Davis has the best upside and is equally as good ( and better overall) as Nania.

This Fall looks problematic  at best.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »
Davis is probably the best QB on the Roster.   But from what I heard the guy to hang the hat on will be The Frosh from Fairless.  I know our talent advisor pally says otherwise.  We have a team of RB's and If it wasnt for the schedule we are a 3 or 4 win team.  Too many holes and our D ...still hasnt shown they can step up with what is recruited.  Very Concerned
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
If you want the best chance to win, you have to take Davis. There are going to be growing pains no matter who you go with, but Davis is the best overall QB. The one thing I'm looking for is how will the O-Line continue to develop? If they struggle, doesn't matter who the QB is.... This team will be in trouble.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »
I wonder, all the QB talk that goes on.  IF, as it sounds tome, IF the "D" doesn't improve,a great deal, WHAT MATTERS?  Hopefully the D improves, or turn out the lights, the party is OVER!!

Sorry I missed the Red White game, but our 50th Anniversary was way better.