Author Topic: ShaRae Davis Transfer  (Read 6655 times)

ValleyTalk

ShaRae Davis Transfer
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »
This stinks, we could have been a power next year with her:

@ASGR1995: ShaRae Davis 5-9 PG transferring from Youngstown State. Originally from Grand Haven MI. 3 years left. Contact DWAYNE Scott Motor City Top 10

Lets_Talk

Re: ShaRae Davis Transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:57:13 AM »
I agree this will be a significant loss for YSU. With that said, I'm hope Shar'Rae is able to be fully healthy again and wish her the best of success as she moves on from YSU. I enjoyed watching Shar'Rae play in the 12-13 season at YSU.

Players leaving a program when a new coaching staff comes in is part of college basketball. Alot of time the new coach wants "their" players, or else the new system is not a good fit for the player(s) who transfer.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:12:20 PM »
The magnitude of this loss depends upon this young lady's health.  Some reports suggested that she has Crohn's disease.  I certainly hope not as that is a life-long debilitating disease.  It would be unlikely that she could develop the stamina to play many minutes of DI basketball.

Even with her, we would have been very young next season.  Now I think that we will start Schegel and the freshman from Indiana underneath with Walker coming off the bench.  Walker's propensity to get into foul trouble makes her more suitable to that role.  Newman and the freshman from Pittsburgh at the 3 spot.  The freshman from the Upper Peninsula at shooting guard backed up by the transfer from Northern Illinois.  Hirsh at point backed up by recruit Arbanis.  So besides Schegel we might be looking at two freshmen and two sophomores in the starting lineup with two more freshmen coming off the bench.  Might be a rough December.  Might also be a good team by February.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »
Hope nothing but the best for the young lady!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:28:48 PM »
The magnitude of this loss depends upon this young lady's health.  Some reports suggested that she has Crohn's disease.  I certainly hope not as that is a life-long debilitating disease.  It would be unlikely that she could develop the stamina to play many minutes of DI basketball.

You may be on to something with the health issue.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »
Unhealthy and lacks floor command to match her skills. Fouls out all the time if she plays with any aggression. Hard to work with a player that is not going to give you 2 halves of ball. A joy to watch though.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:06:28 AM by IAA Fan »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 04:25:29 PM »
1AA Fan, what are you talking about? Shar'Rae fouled out of 10 games last year. Yes, that led the team, but they played 33 games. And, fouling out often times has to do with how a coach wants a player to play, and the situations in which a player is put.

As for lacking floor command to match her skills, Shar'Rae had 143 assists, which is the 2nd most EVER by a Freshman at YSU, to go along with only 94 TO's. That was good for an assist to turnover ration of 1.5, which was 7th best in the HL. She ranked 3rd in the HL in assists per game at 4.3. And, there was only ONE Freshman in all of D1 with more assists per game than Shar'Rae.

Shar'Rae was third in scoring average(9.8ppg) and 2nd in total points scored(318), led team in assists, was second in steals(48), 3rd in total rebounds(131). And, she was a TRUE Freshman. Also made the HL All Newcomer Team.

I listed a bunch of stats, but I also watched the team play several games last season. Shar'Rae is the best point guard YSU has had since Lauren Branson, who has the Freshman record for assists with 159. Shar'Rae scored more than Lauren, as she was not afraid to look to score if needed. Branson is 5th all time in career assists at YSU. She had the 4th and 6th best single season assist totals in YSU history. And, Davis had as good, or better, of a Freshman season than Branson when combining overall play.

I do agree that if Shar'Rae has Chron's Disease, that will likely make it difficult for her to play significant minutes going forward. But, I do not know if it has been confirmed that she has colitis? Either way, she will be missed by YSU, both on and off the court.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 07:26:38 PM »
Taylor Hvisdak and Amanda Barger are also transferring according to Dana Balash.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »
Taylor Hvisdak and Amanda Barger are also transferring according to Dana Balash.

Not surprised, writing was on the wall. Taylor's family attended well, they will be missed.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »
Some good points and stats Let-Talk ...made me rethink my position. However, at the end of the day ..she is our point. I guess I forget that we use multiple guards. I just think about how the men have played with KP on the bench. I also think of the more traditional use of a point guard.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »
I'd have been more willing to agree with you on the lack of floor command and propensity to get into foul trouble had she been a Junior or Senior. But, given she was a Freshman and playing point guard, those things are somewhat expected at the D1 level.

I get your point about the traditional point guard, but Bolden did not run an offense that used a traditional point guard. And, even among traditional point guards, the best of the best usually have/had the ability to score, and would look to score when it was needed. This is an area I'd expect a player starting at point guard for YSU as a Freshman to have some difficulty managing from time to time.

You did not attack Shar'Rae as a person, and just because we may see things differently does not make it something bad. This board is for discussions, and I enjoy reading the opinions and views of others.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
No I would not attack her. She seemed very nice & became more "family" as she went along. Part of the reason for my comments was just to stop the "gloom and doom" of so many when a player leaves. This is a loss that will not destroy the program.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 11:33:52 PM »
Shar'Rae is transferring to Northern Kentucky.