Author Topic: Ryan Weber Transferring  (Read 54226 times)

Offline BigDWSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan Weber Transferring
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »
Sorry you lose all credibility with me once you start using the term "we" to describe the Wright State basketball team.

You don't play. You don't coach. Stop!

And you don't do anything. You have no power to hire or fire coaches. Just go to games. Cheer. Give back money when/if you have the means to. And if you really don't like the administration then stop giving money.

But once again, you don't hire or fire coaches. So stop with the whole "we don't tolerate losing B.S." It's not up to you.

First, I think any passionate fan refers to his team in the first person.  If you don't care about your team enough to refer to them as "we", I lost what little respect I had for you as a fan of YSU.

Second, you obviously don't know who I am.  I have spent the last 35 years associated with Wright State University as a student athlete, alumni, assistant coach, board member, father of 3 student athletes, season ticket holder, and as a donor.   So you are wrong on just about every one of your statements above about me.  I did play basketball and baseball for Wright State when we were still D2.  I coached at Wright State for 3 years after I graduated.  I was also a board member at Wright State for 8 years until the time constraint became too much with my own business.  As a board member I have helped hire presidents, faculty, ADs, and I have helped hire and fire more coaches than I care to remember.  I have also donated a small fortune to Wright State over the years.  I believe I have earned the right to say "we" when I refer to Wright State and I am very proud to say WE when I am discussing my University.

That all being said, none of that has anything to do with this topic.  You can always tell when someone has lost a debate because they just stop trying to debate the issue and start making personal attacks.  Back to the topic at hand, Ryan Weber is transferring because your coach sucks and I wouldn't be surprised to hear him say that he also left because YOU don't care enough about YSU basketball to say "we" when referring to your school.   I know Ball State fans say "we" when talking about their team.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
If this is the way former board members at Wright State Universty conduct theirselves, God bless all the kids who have been impacted by your decisions.

When ever someone says "you don't know who I am" it shows entitlement. I don't respect anyone who has to brag about how important they are.

Whenever someone talks about how important they are on message board, 100% of the time they need a reality check.

Glad you think you have the power to hire and fire coaches. I'll make sure to send this to your ad. I'm sure he could use a good laugh.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
Since you're into giving unsolicited advice, here's some for you're board. If Wright State actually wants some exposure, add football. You're welcome.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »
JJ....this is the point where the people on THIS board take issue with you.  The WSU guy has made great points throughout the discussion.  And just because you don't agree, you have to bring the "we" portion of his comment into it.  Grow up, dude.  Most fans of any team refer to the "we" when talking about their team or university, in this instance. 

Just agree that he's made good comments and move on.  You tend to drag S#&^ on and on and on....over ridiculous stuff like, he used the word "we."

Very good point. Well said

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2014, 10:08:11 PM »
jj...not that I think you solicited my advice. What does WSU having a football program have to do with this whole thread? My bad....your thread! The guy makes good points....and you start off on some wild tangent. Guess when you don't know what you are talking about...and someone points that out....you move somewhere else. Seems to be a Youngstown theme.
As for KP winning games? Please point out to me the game(s) he WON on a last second shot....in the five attempts he had to do so? The definition of insanity is? Let's fool 'em and go to KP one more time.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »

Second, you obviously don't know who I am.  I have spent the last 35 years associated with Wright State University as a student athlete, alumni, assistant coach, board member, father of 3 student athletes, season ticket holder, and as a donor.   So you are wrong on just about every one of your statements above about me.  I did play basketball and baseball for Wright State when we were still D2.  I coached at Wright State for 3 years after I graduated.  I was also a board member at Wright State for 8 years until the time constraint became too much with my own business.  As a board member I have helped hire presidents, faculty, ADs, and I have helped hire and fire more coaches than I care to remember.  I have also donated a small fortune to Wright State over the years. 

I think he forgot to mention that he once saved a dog from a burning building and is allergic to Kryptonite.

Really, we are to believe that someone with all the credentials listed would troll another board and be crass enough to suggest that another teams coach "sucks".

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:46:08 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2014, 11:12:15 PM »
Is it interesting how the Coach Slocum haters come out of the woodwork and show who they truly are.
These "fans" I would consider the most un-loyal YSU fans, what do they bring to this board? 
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

ValleyTalk

« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2014, 11:16:57 PM »
Is it interesting how the Coach Slocum haters come out of the woodwork and show who they truly are.
These "fans" I would consider the most un-loyal YSU fans, what do they bring to this board?
Slocum does the best he can with what he is given. He has made us respectable in this conference and some of those on this forum who think we should be at the level of a Butler, Valpo, etc. need to wake up. We are a football school. I want to win as much as you do in basketball as I attend most home games and a few away games each year, but we need to accept what we are: A FOOTBALL SCHOOL.

I think Slocum has increased the level of play, the type of recruit, and the mindset of the program. However, it was in such bad shape that even mediocre success is not going to be good enough for some.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2014, 09:24:45 AM »
I see all these comments about Slocum saying he does the best he can with what he has to work with. Well, so did John Robic, and he was not given 9 years. I was not a fan of Robic's, so my coming to his defense is not a case of me supporting a friend. In his 2nd season, YSU won 19 games. Then, in his 3rd season, YSU moved into the HL. There really did not seem to be much empathy toward Robic for being in the position of coaching a "football school" in a conference where none of the other schools played D1 scholarship football. So, why is that an allowable excuse/defense for Slocum?

To those of who with poor reading comprehension, notice I am NOT calling for Slocum to be fired. I am NOT saying he is a terrible coach. I am merely asking why Robic was not allotted the same considerations and excuses many now make for Slocum?

As for being a "football school", many of you need to get a grip. For the majority of people that follow college football, there is little to NO difference between FCS and D3. I now live in Las Vegas. UNLV is terrible in football. When UNLV plays their annual FCS opponent, it is looked at by people as playing a D2 team. I'm quite certain the same can be said most places where there is an FBS football school.

And, for a "football school", how is ONE trip to the playoffs in 13 years acceptable? For that matter, YSU has made the FCS/1AA playoffs 11 times in 33 years of playing at the 1AA/FCS level. Of those 11 trips to the playoffs, 10 were with Jim Tressel as HC. In the 18 years with an HC other than Jim Tressel, YSU has made the playoffs ONE TIME!!!! That is not the definition of a "football school. That is the definition of a school in an area where people are football crazy being fortunate to have an exceptional head coach for 15 years. And, that coach, along with his staff was able to bring in players that helped YSU have a great 15 year run.

So, before trashing Wright State, why not ask how it is that YSU with all the emphasis on football, all the money spent, all the facilities, and being a "football school" continues to be mediocre year after year after year? This may also be a reason why players the caliber of Ryan Weber transfer out, and why it is so hard for the coaching staff to recruit? It's one thing if a "football school" has a powerhouse program. It's another when said "football school" is slightly above average, and then the school and community treat basketball as if it is something to just pass the time until the next football season starts.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2014, 07:03:37 PM »
What's the point in getting all these higher caliber recruits only to watch them leave and go somewhere else because Slocum plays the same 5 to 7 guys all the time.  Just saying I'm tired of seeing these recruits leave after one or two years with the program

Offline BigDWSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
Since you're into giving unsolicited advice, here's some for you're board. If Wright State actually wants some exposure, add football. You're welcome.

Thank you.   That was the best laugh I have had in quite some time.  Seriously though, you do realize that you get less exposure across the state of Ohio outside of Youngstown for your FCS football team than the average high school football team.   You can at least find box scores for most high school teams from around the state.   The same can't be said for your football program.  Thanks again for the laugh.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:05:58 PM by BigDWSU »

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2014, 08:40:11 PM »

Thank you.   That was the best laugh I have had in quite some time.  Seriously though, you do realize that you get less exposure across the state of Ohio outside of Youngstown for your FCS football team than the average high school football team.   You can at least find box scores for most high school teams from around the state.   The same can't be said for your football program.  Thanks again for the laugh.

^^^ Most ignorant post of all time on this board. That above made me lol.

Now that we know this guy from WSU is a total joke lets get back to ysu basketball.

Anyone hear that Stewart is for sure leaving?

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2014, 10:05:33 PM »
Yep. From the horses mouth. (Not yours JJ)

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »
I don't think it matters who breaks a story. But I know I can confirm he's gone as well.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2014, 10:42:06 PM »
Not looking to take credit JJ. Just disheartened that information like this is kept from the fan base. This is a public institution! We are the stockholders! WE DESERVE the right to know this information! To date, no announcement has been made on ANY departure. And this is what you defend? Not me! Slaps at arrogance. This athletic administration is a joke! We don't matter, I don't matter. We can shove it....as far as they are concerned. And yet we are asked to support! Enough!