Author Topic: Football Coaching Staff Adjustments; Additions Announced  (Read 3258 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Football Coaching Staff Adjustments; Additions Announced
« on: March 07, 2014, 06:30:35 AM »
Youngstown State Head Football Coach Eric Wolford announced on Wednesday that three new members have been added to the YSU coaching staff while some current members will handle new responsibilities.

Kenny Carter, Dan Gerberry and Mike Zordich have all officially joined the staff.

Carter will coach the wide receivers, have the role of passing-game coordinator and serve as co-special teams coordinator. Zordich will coach the safeties and also serve as co-special teams coordinator. Gerberry will coach the Penguins' tight ends.

On the current staff, Jamie Bryant will move from coaching the special teams to taking over as the defensive coordinator. Bryant did a spectacular job with the Penguins' special teams last year and brings a wealth of defensive coordinator experience to his new role.

Bryant was the defensive coordinator at Vanderbilt for two seasons and spent another in that role at Houston prior to coming to YSU in 2013.

Veteran member of the staff, Carmen Bricillo will have the additional title of run-game coordinator added to his duties.

Assistant Coaches Tom Sims, Glenn Davis, Ron Stoops, Shane Montgomery, Eric Gallon and Kyle Rivera will remain in their current roles with program.

2014 YSU Coaching Staff
Head Coach - Eric Wolford
Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks - Shane Montgomery
Wide Receivers/Passing Game Coordinator/Co-Special Teams Coordinator - Kenny Carter
Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator - Carmen Bricillo
Running Backs - Eric Gallon
Tight Ends - Dan Gerberry
Defensive Coordinator - Jamie Bryant
Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line - Tom Sims
Cornerbacks - Glenn Davis
Linebackers - Ron Stoops
Safeties/Co-Special Teams Coordinator - Mike Zordich

Video Coordinator - Kyle Rivera
Director of Operations - Dan Kopp

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football Coaching Staff Adjustments; Additions Announced
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
This will be the year we find out how good of a coach Montgomery is without Hess.
I know the same could be said of D-coaches, but I am interested in the progress and QB development
since last season.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:39:23 PM »
There will clearly be a drop off from Hess.  The "new" coaching  titles also tell me something -- pay raises are happening to get some people here. Those "new" titles don't come without a pay increase, lol

Everyone is doing it.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »
There will clearly be a drop off from Hess.  The "new" coaching  titles also tell me something -- pay raises are happening to get some people here. Those "new" titles don't come without a pay increase, lol

Everyone is doing it.

I have to agree with you on Hess Paladin, but I am very excited to see what happens an how Monty's offense works with a more mobile QB. Should be exciting, but I still do not see it as our biggest issue for 2014! I am ready for the pigskin; but pulling behind the Lady Birds basketball first!!