Author Topic: MBB at Detroit  (Read 8756 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
MBB at Detroit
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:17:28 PM »
We had the lead at 21-20, but UDM has not looked back 40-30 at half. KP is not really even a factor in the contest so far.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: MBB at Detroit
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »
Hain just scored his first point minutes into the second half.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »
It would be nice if ysu could find rob schmidt a broadcast partner.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:21:45 PM »
Im afraid a broadcast partner is the least of this teams concerns......

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »
I give up. Another loss to a horrible Detroit team with 1 solid player.... Missed FT's killed us. Bad defense again. This team is going downhill, sad.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 04:28:50 PM »
Tough loss,but Penguins battled.  Hopefully this doesn't turn into another pile on Slocum thread.  He had a masterful play after a time out that led to a three to send the game into O.T.   KP had a bad last minute and a half with turnover,foul and a missed foul shot.ftp://

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 04:33:37 PM »
Someone has to be held responsible for the classic second half of the season meltdowns every year.  Who do you think people are going to blame?  Just saying!  It not going to be the players. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 04:50:27 PM »
The game should've never been that close! Detroit is a bad team. Beat them by 14 at home.... Why didn't Weber play? Anybody know?

Lets_Talk

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 05:09:02 PM »
Weber broke his nose in practice. Detroit is not as bad as some people think, especially playing at home. They have a young team, and have some size. Howard is one of the best players in the HL. He hit a 3pt shot to beat Valpo on the road Friday. In addition to the win at Valpo, UD won at Milwaukee and beat Wright State at home.

YSU is now in 7th place and now has to scratch and claw to finish 4th,5th or 6th and get a home game for the first round.

Amiker played very good today. He got the start in place of Weber, and scored 25 points, including the game tying 3 pointer near the end of regulation. Shot 9-12 from field, 6-8 at the line, and had only 1 turnover.

No points from the bench, but that is skewed a bit with Amiker starting. Still hard to win at this level with ZERO points from the bench. Detroit got 15 points from their bench. Only 2 players scored off the bench, but those 15 points were huge.

KP tried to get it going late, but that missed FT near end of OT was huge. Also have no idea why he waited until the 2nd half to start taking over and trying to score, especially with Weber out. KP is a very good player, but I'm tiring of the talk about him being the best player in YSU history. One of the best, definitely, but YSU has had some very good players over the years. And, during the D2 days, there were not as many teams in D1 as there are now, and the competition was stiff. YSU also played a few D1 schools. Well, they at least played PITT. The majority of teams YSU plays now were D2 or NAIA 30-40 years ago.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:11:48 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 05:11:49 PM »
Bad loss and now that all of the teams around us in the standings are beginning to win and with our losing streak leaves is in 7th place.  As soon as the game went into overtime that is an instant loss for YSU given our overtime record under Slocum.    Don't know what it is but Februray is the month we crap the bed and fall off the map each and every year.  Didn't Detroit have 36 hrs to prepare for this game and we had 4 days?  Need some answers Slocum!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »
Does this mean Weber will be out longer?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 05:16:09 PM »
Just sad that this talent is going to waste....

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 09:03:35 PM »
Agree with Pride, this trend of getting off to a good start; and blowing it all in Feb. has got to stop someway.  Slocum has got to figure that out! I still say we need more beef down low, maybe our new recruits will provide more athleticism on the low post.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »
fan0505,

I do not know the status of Weber. Only know he broke his nose because the announcer on HLN broadcast said so at start of the game. Seems he broke his nose in practice between the game at Wright State and Sunday. I live far from the Ytown area, and  the only info I get now is from vindy.com, tribune.com, this board or YSU website.

This brings up an issue I have. Would be very nice if Scalzo wrote a weekly column in the Vindy(that is also available online) about the men's and womens basketball teams. Can be a recap of the previous weeks games, info on the games in the new week, and then things like the status of injured players, and other tidbits. I think the lack of coverage by the Vindy for YSU basketball is one more thing that limits attendance. I'm aware the best way to get people to the games is with a winning team, but it doesn't help when local media coverage is limited, as is the case for YSU in every sport but football.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:29:40 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »
Lets talk, agree with you about the lack of coverage of the basketball program by the local media. It's as if basketball and other sports at YSU are an afterthought.  The local tv news is as bad as the vindicator. Even with the football program I don't think the coverage is very good. The local media covers Ohio State as much as or in some instances more than YSU. I have had a problem with this for years. Similar to your idea about the Vindy having weekly columns on the basketball teams, I would like to see one of the local news stations dedicate more time during the sports segment of the news at least once a week to cover and report on the football and basketball programs during the season.

Another thing about the local media is that they are very soft. Rarely do they ask tough or interesting questions. They also very rarely criticize YSU sports even when it is warranted. I will say Scalzo is getting better in this regard.