Author Topic: De Souza Propaganda  (Read 2923 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
De Souza Propaganda
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:28:22 PM »
I watched this short video on vindy where he suggested YSU will/should consider eliminating D1 athletics.  I dont know this guy and im gonna keep my thoughts to myself but who does this guy think he is?  Im not sure I spelled his name correct and I really dont care.... Having read his columns in the past I guess I shouldnt be surprised...

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: De Souza Propaganda
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »
Goodnews--saw the same video--laughable. Take a good look at him and the fat, bald guy arguing against athletics. Probably neither of them ever picked up a ball in their life. Well, a sports ball anyway. At least Franko is smart enough to bring up that communtiy support for the University in general might be in trouble without athletics. Ask the DeBartolos, Cafaros, and other big money people.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:14:57 PM »
Ask yourself this question.  In a highly competitive business like journalism where talent constantly moves on to a job with more prestige, why is DeSouza still working at a third-rate newspaper that has lost over half of its subscribers in the past two decades?  He is a bitter, frustrated man who has always hated the university.  And his illustrious bosses allow him to trash the central institution in the Mahoning Valley with impunity.

How much coverage has the Vindicator given to the following events?  The Dana students perform at Carnegie Hall in NYC.  Our mathematics students kick butt repeatedly against teams from "big name" schools in national competitions.  Same for our pre-law students in national moot court competitions.  The Education college is ranked in the top 40 nationally.  A major corporation gives an astounding 500 million in software to the STEM college.  How much coverage?  Little to none.  A joke writer working for a joke newspaper.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 07:16:01 AM »
His argument has some validity Wick. However, not in this case. In an area where there are multiple universities, this can make some sense. The last time I checked Kent State Trumbull does not field a football team. Should Kent decide to concentrate on academics ...so be it. Akron can fill the athletic void. It would meet with lots of resistance due to history and the success of Kent's teams like MBB, Golf, Baseball, etc.

You are right on the coverage Wick. I remember when the university began competing in (and hosted) the Engineering Olympics. They had to due things like build a zero-emission vehicle, canoes out of concrete, human powered planes, etc. The local media covered it for days and YSU won many times. Our region included (and still does) all of the schools in NE Ohio and WPA. Then when when OSU came and we beat them, the coverage was great. They launched the planes down at the Lub in Sharon over the water ...we all went to watch. What does this tell us?

The town has a competitive nature and sports mentality, so Sports is just a huge part of YSU ...just the opposite of what DeSousa is saying.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:16:37 AM by IAA Fan »