Author Topic: YSU at UIC  (Read 10634 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
YSU at UIC
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:55:13 PM »
Very happy with this performance. UIC was afraid of KP all night. Then we pulled away late, which was a change of pace. Nice win Guins.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU at UIC
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »
As Indy noted several days ago, this early in the season you should look more closely at road wins/home losses than at the overall standings.  Right at this moment (I think) that would look like this:

+1 advantage: Cleveland State and Youngstown State

-1 disadvantage: Milwaukee and UIC

neutral: everybody else

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:34:44 PM »
Great win for the Guins. I agree with wick . Gotta win a few on the road and take care of biz at home.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

ValleyTalk

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »
That was a badly needed win after Saturday's 2nd half from hell. Very nice to see us take charge and stay in control in the second half of a ball game.

Sets up a huge four game Homestand vs. Cleveland State, Detroit, Valpo, and Wright State. As far as I'm concerned we need to go at least 3-1 on this homestand to keep us in the thick of things. Hopefully UWGB eventually stumbles along the way.

CSU is the main task at hand. If we play our style ball, which is up tempo, we should be in good shape. If we let them dictate the tempo like they did at CSU last year and two years ago when we sold out Beeghly and got embarrassed, them we will be in trouble. Two contrasting styles. Whoever sets the pace early should get the WIN.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 11:07:35 PM »
As Indy noted several days ago, this early in the season you should look more closely at road wins/home losses than at the overall standings.  Right at this moment (I think) that would look like this:

+1 advantage: Cleveland State and Youngstown State

-1 disadvantage: Milwaukee and UIC

neutral: everybody else

Correct. Home teams were 7-1 before tonight and this was the only league game tonight.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:05:04 AM »
That was a badly needed win after Saturday's 2nd half from hell. Very nice to see us take charge and stay in control in the second half of a ball game.

Sets up a huge four game Homestand vs. Cleveland State, Detroit, Valpo, and Wright State. As far as I'm concerned we need to go at least 3-1 on this homestand to keep us in the thick of things. Hopefully UWGB eventually stumbles along the way.

CSU is the main task at hand. If we play our style ball, which is up tempo, we should be in good shape. If we let them dictate the tempo like they did at CSU last year and two years ago when we sold out Beeghly and got embarrassed, them we will be in trouble. Two contrasting styles. Whoever sets the pace early should get the WIN.

We've got to be undefeated on this home-stand. If we want to be serious contenders in this league, we need to take care of business at home.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 10:15:48 AM »
UIC is down this year but still a good W on the road. KP dominated! Have to come home and take care of business, no doubt.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »
UIC is down this year but still a good W on the road. KP dominated! Have to come home and take care of business, no doubt.
05--despite his hatred of Slocum--posts after losses AND wins (as do many of us), for which I give him credit. We're not all supposed to agree, that's what makes sports talk fun. But notice almost 24 hours after a win, no posts from "Pride", Ray-Ray, Kilroy (or whatever his name is), and Mr Know-It-All (the great coach). Now go back and look at the GB and Milw threads. These basement dwellers posted within MINUTES after these losses. Just proving that there truly is a fellowship of the miserable and victories haunt them. Wait till the next loss. They'll be back. Losers.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 04:43:52 PM »
IP-sorry no comment about the great victory we just had.  You worry more about what posters say about our guins than the game itself.  Take a chill pill.  If we are losers then maybe we should stop giving money the athletic dept like some of us do.   When my business gives 10k to the dept like we did this year I can say what I want.   Great win last night but slocom still sucks and one game is not the coming of basketball jesus at YSU.    See you monday against CSU.  Sleep well my fellow italian.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
I'm a Slocum guy, but unfornately, we'll probably choke one or two games away at home.   We always do except take care of business like we need to do.  Until we start doing that, the league title will be out of our reach.  I know we had a 10-5 record at home last season, but remember we could play Thiel, Westminster or others like them on neutral courts and still pound them.  As far as I'm concerned those are just glorified scrimages.  We are actually 6-8 right now.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 06:23:03 PM »
I'm a Slocum guy, but unfornately, we'll probably choke one or two games away at home.   We always do except take care of business like we need to do.  Until we start doing that, the league title will be out of our reach.  I know we had a 10-5 record at home last season, but remember we could play Thiel, Westminster or others like them on neutral courts and still pound them.  As far as I'm concerned those are just glorified scrimages.  We are actually 6-8 right now.

Why don't you say that about other schools?

Green Bay played 3 non D-I's. So are they really 9-3?

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 07:10:29 PM »
Every year people on this board complain about our home schedule, we're trying to establish a bb program here better than what we've had the past twenty years.  The other schools have the reputation as a basketball school that we don't period!  Playing one or two schools such as Thiel is alright, however, when we load up on them to make our record look better than it is, is not fooling the typical Youngstown fans.  To our credit, we do play some top tier teams on the road, but we need not to schedule three to four patisies at home.  As stated, the other schools can get away with it because of reputation, our fans recongnize playing the Westminsters for what it is.  Don't schedule so many Fredonia State's because people are not going to pay hard earned money to see them in Youngstown, other schools with more of BB reputaion can get away with it and still draw decent crowds.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 07:52:12 PM »
Every year people on this board complain about our home schedule, we're trying to establish a bb program here better than what we've had the past twenty years.  The other schools have the reputation as a basketball school that we don't period!  Playing one or two schools such as Thiel is alright, however, when we load up on them to make our record look better than it is, is not fooling the typical Youngstown fans.  To our credit, we do play some top tier teams on the road, but we need not to schedule three to four patisies at home.  As stated, the other schools can get away with it because of reputation, our fans recongnize playing the Westminsters for what it is.  Don't schedule so many Fredonia State's because people are not going to pay hard earned money to see them in Youngstown, other schools with more of BB reputaion can get away with it and still draw decent crowds.
Have you paid any attention to scheduling discussions on this board before? I think not. First of all, we scheduled 2 non-D1's at home this year--the Warren Wilson game was part of the Kennesaw St tournament. Secondly, if you check the other schools in the league, it's pretty much done by everyone. Third, in my opinion, the 3 non-D1's are offset by playing UMass, Pitt, and St John's--who you have little or no chance to beat and are games played to add money to the athletic department. So if you are going to not count Thiel and Westminster as far as our record, then you shouldn't count Pitt or UMass either. And finally, and most importantly, it cost money to bring D-1 schools here to play--and we aren't going to pay it. We don't have it. The other schools that have reputations as basketball schools (I'm assuming you mean in our league) don't have football programs that suck up tons of money. We do. Scheduling for our program is a nightmare. They try as best they can, but short of playing almost all road games, the home schedule is about as good as it's going to get. Maybe Pride's business can kick in a few more bucks and we can buy some better home games.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »
When ysu does pay for opponents (2013 cit anyone) ppl on this board complain and call it a no name tournament that we had to pay to host a game.

Ysu hosted two above .500 teams in the cit.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 08:29:53 PM »
Have you paid any attention to scheduling discussions on this board before? I think not. First of all, we scheduled 2 non-D1's at home this year--the Warren Wilson game was part of the Kennesaw St tournament. Secondly, if you check the other schools in the league, it's pretty much done by everyone. Third, in my opinion, the 3 non-D1's are offset by playing UMass, Pitt, and St John's--who you have little or no chance to beat and are games played to add money to the athletic department. So if you are going to not count Thiel and Westminster as far as our record, then you shouldn't count Pitt or UMass either. And finally, and most importantly, it cost money to bring D-1 schools here to play--and we aren't going to pay it. We don't have it. The other schools that have reputations as basketball schools (I'm assuming you mean in our league) don't have football programs that suck up tons of money. We do. Scheduling for our program is a nightmare. They try as best they can, but short of playing almost all road games, the home schedule is about as good as it's going to get. Maybe Pride's business can kick in a few more bucks and we can buy some better home games.

Hey ip the typical thing on this board to do is find anyway to erase success. Why would negative ppl subtract losses when they can easily subtract wins?