Author Topic: Basketball Scheduling: Can It Get More Stupid Than This?  (Read 18164 times)

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Scheduling: Can It Get More Stupid Than This?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »
I've been follwing the Penguins since I was a kid.  I went to both home and away games and to the Championship games.  I've never seen this much acceptance of mediocrity in the Athletic Department before.  This year, I began to ask myself, "if the University doesn't care, than why should I?" I will always be a fan, but instead of watching games, and getting hyped up for them, I'll probably just check the scores and maybe read a write up if I have the time.  I do think the FB team will make the playoffs (since 24 teams do now), but like a MEAC team or Fordham, they'll beat a 1-AAA in the first round and get clobbered in the second by a 1-AA team, and then congratulate themselves on a great season.  YSU MBB will also make the CBI or its equivalent and have a similar result.  However overall, as it was already said, they'll not be relevant in the community or NCAA until someone gives a s***.

Not sure how old you were, but when I was a kid, YSU basketball was okay, but never expected to make a post season tournament. Now we're expecting to play well into March. I think people do care and when I travel around the country, many people are aware we have an improved basketball team.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »
I've been follwing the Penguins since I was a kid.  I went to both home and away games and to the Championship games.  I've never seen this much acceptance of mediocrity in the Athletic Department before.  This year, I began to ask myself, "if the University doesn't care, than why should I?" I will always be a fan, but instead of watching games, and getting hyped up for them, I'll probably just check the scores and maybe read a write up if I have the time.  I do think the FB team will make the playoffs (since 24 teams do now), but like a MEAC team or Fordham, they'll beat a 1-AAA in the first round and get clobbered in the second by a 1-AA team, and then congratulate themselves on a great season.  YSU MBB will also make the CBI or its equivalent and have a similar result.  However overall, as it was already said, they'll not be relevant in the community or NCAA until someone gives a s***.

Not sure how old you were, but when I was a kid, YSU basketball was okay, but never expected to make a post season tournament. Now we're expecting to play well into March. I think people do care and when I travel around the country, many people are aware we have an improved basketball team.

Yes, they are improved.  They were 8-22 a few seasons ago, and now finish just above .500.  That is an improvement from terrible to respectable. 

This has nothing to do with being proud of being a YSU alum, or being vocal at games.  This is about the reality of the Athletic Department and its future.  IMO, they are either not capable nor concerned enough to make YSU athletics thrive, and not just exist.  I wish them the best, but IMO the leadership is just collecting a check and serving their time.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »
jj--I laud your pluck and your loyalty and I applaud you. You are what should be prevalent here. Unfortunately, this board is mostly comprised of the fellowship of the miserable. Strollo stinks, Slocum stinks, everybody stinks. There are people like Paladin who pretend they are somebody they never were, and people like 05 who hates Slocum so much, he posts only after losses, never after wins--all the while saying how terrible a job Slocum does recruiting while praising the talents of Kendrick Perry and Marcus Keene, players Slocum recruited. Like Indy said before, with Slocum you're getting exactly what you pay for. jj--it's a losing battle here, just accept it and laugh--it's all you can do. And hope any prospective athlete thinking of coming here doesn't read this board, otherwise why would they bother coming?

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »
jj--I laud your pluck and your loyalty and I applaud you. You are what should be prevalent here. Unfortunately, this board is mostly comprised of the fellowship of the miserable. Strollo stinks, Slocum stinks, everybody stinks. There are people like Paladin who pretend they are somebody they never were, and people like 05 who hates Slocum so much, he posts only after losses, never after wins--all the while saying how terrible a job Slocum does recruiting while praising the talents of Kendrick Perry and Marcus Keene, players Slocum recruited. Like Indy said before, with Slocum you're getting exactly what you pay for. jj--it's a losing battle here, just accept it and laugh--it's all you can do. And hope any prospective athlete thinking of coming here doesn't read this board, otherwise why would they bother coming?

Isn't that sad that a perspective student athlete has to be kept away from this message board because of 3 negative people?
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

Spiderlegs

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »
Agree that watching KP is a pretty good reason to attend a MBB game.  Exactly why KP is here is one of the world's great mysteries. Got to wonder what will happen when he leaves.

Minor sports are improving.  Give Strollo some credit here.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 03:43:16 PM »
I note that I did not post one comment on this thread and yet I get called out. O.K........... fine , I'm game. "people" who complain have that right ( it is a fan board afterall). Not everyone is a butt kisser or apologist. And in case you haven't noticed,  ACTUAL attendance keeps dropping in both football and basketball, the two money sports. Yet each has had WINNING  SEASONS.  WHY IS THAT ?

Poor old IP must have  senility problems. I know who I am and who I was. For some reasons he doesn't think I know who I am. He best check his own nest. As for this jj character, I don't see many lining up to march with him. Why ?  The above question. "WHY IS THAT"?

The answer is people have seen the decline in YSU sports, the lack of success, and the poor excuse for an AD that the University tolerates and all his attendant decisions, coach selections, game scheduling, lack of effective promos and general destruction of the athletic dept.  People didn't stop coming because I told them to or my comments on here. The reasons  are external  and not because of or from me. I noted early on this year ticket prices went up, concession prices increased ( and the products were awful), off street parking was removed  and the apologists expected attendance to increase ?  ;D

The problem is much bigger than you imagine. Try to stifle the fans, what fans, that is, that's left !
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:47:35 PM by paladin »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 04:58:29 PM »
Paladin,

I just want to point out that without the three pansy games, football this year was 5-4 and dropped the three games that mattered most. MBB right now is 5-6 if we take Warren Wilson, Thiel, and Westminster out of the mix, though I give credit to MBB for scheduling some good teams (UMass, Pitt, St. John's). Unfortunately, this is offset considerably by those losses to Austin Peay and UMKC, which a well disciplined team would not allow to happen.

Bottom line: I'm not sure "winning" is a good way to describe the YSU money sports right now. "Winning" at YSU now means inflating the W-L record by beating up little schools. Got to admit I'm thinking of ending my season football tickets--not sure I want to sit in the rain and snow anymore to watch a team that doesn't show up when it counts.

In the spirit of the board, I'm trying to think of some nasty name to call you because I disagree with you. I'll let you know when I come up with something. :)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »
O.K.  I note Wolf has increased his win total each year he has been here. Winning record last year. 8-4 this year. Basketball "won" with a slightly better than.500 record last year. Actual attendance has dropped for  both. Your answer doesn't fully address why attendance is dropping.

Now, who scheduled "those games " ? Who "bought" their  way  into a post season tournament ? Could it be that the AD had total say or final say on those decisions ?  I think that's in his job description.

We actually agree on something . I'm thinking of not buying Penguin Club tickets next year and sitting home ( or going to  other games) ( Ohio St. ?). Tired of sitting in cramped red seats ( boy was that a HUGE mistake, thanks Strollo). Tired of mediocrity. Lousy hotdogs and no stadium mustard. No crowds. Poor parking.

And , hey. If you want to  call me nasty names, get in line. Just don't call me snookems.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:27:26 PM by paladin »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »
OK JJ, you wanted my response so here it is.  I find it amusing that a 34 year old fan could question my loyalty to the university.  I just completed 40 years of perfect attendance at home football games.  My streak at basketball would have extended back into the 1960s if adult responsibilities had not interfered on several occasions.  Furthermore, I attend our Olympic sports regularly, even those sports that I don't like very much.  Counting those Olympic sports, there is nobody that attends more YSU athletic events in a year than I do.  Nobody.

Your problem is that you have a warped definition of loyalty.  You equate it with being a cheerleader, supporting any policy from the leadership without question.  There is a label for that in American sports; it is called being a Cub fan.  You have evaded the central thesis of my original post: that YSU sports has become irrelevant in the community.  True, loyal YSU fans are aware of this unwelcome condition.  They have offered their remedies.  Mine is the replacement of the entire management team.  If you have a better idea, let's hear it.  But denying that the crisis exists contributes nothing.  The empty seats in the gym and in the stadium call for more than cheerleading.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
Lol, I love how IP always has to bring up my dislike for Slocum. First, I never said he was a bad recruiter. But he is a bad head coach. Could barely get the job done at Division 2 level. His teams play no defense, he's all about offense.... And that's worked out real well, until they run into a team that he gets out coached by, which is regularly. Look, I went to YSU, I support this school, but I will not support mediocrity. I try to make as many games as work and family allow. This is a free message board. I can express my displeasure if I choose to. If ya don't like it, we can agree to disagree ;)

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 05:55:04 PM »
the fact is is that most people in this community really don't care about ysu sports. you can't blame them. the AD, board of trustees and president don't even care. Just like penguin nations said they are all only serving their time and collecting a check.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 06:16:40 PM »
OK JJ, you wanted my response so here it is.  I find it amusing that a 34 year old fan could question my loyalty to the university.  I just completed 40 years of perfect attendance at home football games.  My streak at basketball would have extended back into the 1960s if adult responsibilities had not interfered on several occasions.  Furthermore, I attend our Olympic sports regularly, even those sports that I don't like very much.  Counting those Olympic sports, there is nobody that attends more YSU athletic events in a year than I do.  Nobody.

Your problem is that you have a warped definition of loyalty.  You equate it with being a cheerleader, supporting any policy from the leadership without question.  There is a label for that in American sports; it is called being a Cub fan.  You have evaded the central thesis of my original post: that YSU sports has become irrelevant in the community.  True, loyal YSU fans are aware of this unwelcome condition.  They have offered their remedies.  Mine is the replacement of the entire management team.  If you have a better idea, let's hear it.  But denying that the crisis exists contributes nothing.  The empty seats in the gym and in the stadium call for more than cheerleading.

What business experience do you have Wick? Because your theory of firing every decision makes, is widely agreed upon to be the dumbest business decision a person or organization could possibly make. It's literally one of the first lessons we learned in my M.B.A. program. So when you say things like this, it just makes you sound so stupid.

This notion that you keep saying that YSU sports is irrelevant is ridiculous as well. I have no idea what your status is, but judging by your comments on this board, (hopefully) you're not in decision making role with a large business. Now I am. I travel all throughout the United States for work, and do a good bit of business in the area. When I'm traveling, I get stopped by people all the times asking me about my YSU shirt I'm wearing at the airport etc. I can't tell you how many times people with no interest in YSU has asked about Kendrick Perry and if he's the "real deal".

The notion that no body cares in Youngstown is as ridiculous as the comment you made about overhauling everyone in management. I buy a lot of season tickets for basketball and own a suite for football. I get multiple requests weekly for football and basketball tickets.

Your problem is you sit on an island in Youngstown (or other community in the Valley) and never venture out. You think if you post 1,200 times on a message board and a person more delusional than you agrees with it, it's the gospel.

Now have fun at the YSU game tomorrow. I'm going to be in a suite at the Browns / Steelers game. :)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 08:37:42 PM »

What business experience do you have Wick? Because your theory of firing every decision makes, is widely agreed upon to be the dumbest business decision a person or organization could possibly make. It's literally one of the first lessons we learned in my M.B.A. program. So when you say things like this, it just makes you sound so stupid.

This notion that you keep saying that YSU sports is irrelevant is ridiculous as well. I have no idea what your status is, but judging by your comments on this board, (hopefully) you're not in decision making role with a large business. Now I am. I travel all throughout the United States for work, and do a good bit of business in the area. When I'm traveling, I get stopped by people all the times asking me about my YSU shirt I'm wearing at the airport etc. I can't tell you how many times people with no interest in YSU has asked about Kendrick Perry and if he's the "real deal".

The notion that no body cares in Youngstown is as ridiculous as the comment you made about overhauling everyone in management. I buy a lot of season tickets for basketball and own a suite for football. I get multiple requests weekly for football and basketball tickets.

Your problem is you sit on an island in Youngstown (or other community in the Valley) and never venture out. You think if you post 1,200 times on a message board and a person more delusional than you agrees with it, it's the gospel.

Now have fun at the YSU game tomorrow. I'm going to be in a suite at the Browns / Steelers game. :)

On TV, financially successful people are generally stereotyped as d-bags.  IRL, in my experience, they are the kindest and most humble people I have ever met.  I'm referring to people who are rich by rich people's standards.

When I see boastfulness and arrogance, I see ignorance and insecurity 100% of the time.

Becoming spiteful about about a differing opinion (especially regarding college sports) reveals immaturity.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 12:14:14 AM »
Lol, I love how IP always has to bring up my dislike for Slocum. First, I never said he was a bad recruiter. But he is a bad head coach. Could barely get the job done at Division 2 level. His teams play no defense, he's all about offense.... And that's worked out real well, until they run into a team that he gets out coached by, which is regularly. Look, I went to YSU, I support this school, but I will not support mediocrity. I try to make as many games as work and family allow. This is a free message board. I can express my displeasure if I choose to. If ya don't like it, we can agree to disagree ;)
05 if you want to agree to disagree that's fine, I have no problem with that. But to say he could barely get the job done in D2 shows that you just have a dislike for the man. He has won 681 collegiate games. 681, most at the D2 level. That's only 657 more than your hero Mr. Wolford, who I happen to like by the way. But, as you said, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. As insane as it is.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »
05 if you want to agree to disagree that's fine, I have no problem with that. But to say he could barely get the job done in D2 shows that you just have a dislike for the man. He has won 681 collegiate games. 681, most at the D2 level. That's only 657 more than your hero Mr. Wolford, who I happen to like by the way. But, as you said, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. As insane as it is.

681 wins.... He's been coaching since 1975!!! Of course your gonna have that many wins in almost 40 years of coaching. Doesn't make him a good coach. Sorry. He started coaching before Roy Williams (UNC) Jim Boheim (Syracuse) and Coach K (Duke). Jerry has had 2 winning seasons here, now granted the program is in way better shape I give him that. I just feel they need some young blood in here. Jerry has one foot out the door.