Author Topic: Basketball Scheduling: Can It Get More Stupid Than This?  (Read 18186 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Basketball Scheduling: Can It Get More Stupid Than This?
« on: December 26, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »
I hate the NFL, so I will be in my seat for our basketball game against South Dakota on Sunday afternoon.  I will be joined by about 250 other fans.  What kind of fool scheduled a YSU basketball game on the Sunday afternoon when the Browns play the Steelers?  Was it Slocum?  Strollo?  I don't know.  Now perhaps it was necessary because of South Dakota travel plans.  Perhaps they are playing somebody near us on Friday or Tuesday.  Nope.  They last played on December 19 and won't play again until a home game on January 2.  Saturday would actually have been much better for them.  It is this kind of nonsense that causes most fans in the community to consider the YSU athletic department to be completely dysfunctional.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Scheduling: Can It Get More Stupid Than This?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »
Strollo at his best.  Our athletic dept. is an epic mess.  Announced attendance will be 1300 but 200 in the stands.   Did we expect anything else from this dept though?  Go Steelers by the way.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »
the athletic dept. is incompetent and so are the board of trustees and president(past and present). they have no clue what they are doing and no vision for the future. Mediocrity is what they aim for.  No accountability either. Sort of how Youngstown city government is run and has been run for the last 50 years. Any wonder why all the young people leave the first chance they get? Any wonder why attendance is so bad at sporting events?

GOOOOO GUINS!!!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »
Do you expect anything else???

Spiderlegs

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 07:33:14 PM »
Travel time is definitely an issue here. You have to remember that athletic teams travel slower than real people. For example, it takes our football team two days to make the seven-hour trip to Terre Haute.  I figure driving to South Dakota must take a week, especially if you have to pass through the southern suburbs of Chicago on I-80 at rush hour.    :)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 11:03:10 AM »
I think we need to get this out of our system over the next few days & start 2014 a new. I am happy to be up here to go see the game. I am a college sports fan. Schedule anything you like on any NFL Sunday or Monday night ...just a bunch of overpaid & under-talented people. Saturday is bowl games. Schedule it on Saturday ...now I have to check the bowl-week schedule. NFL = New Football is Lame.

As to the athletic department ...again I am very happy. Since when would we drive to South Dakota? We are a DI school ...not St. Christine's.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »
Travel time is definitely an issue here. You have to remember that athletic teams travel slower than real people. For example, it takes our football team two days to make the seven-hour trip to Terre Haute.  I figure driving to South Dakota must take a week, especially if you have to pass through the southern suburbs of Chicago on I-80 at rush hour.    :)

We drive to Indiana State because it's closer. We fly charter everywhere else

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 09:39:24 PM »
Wow, I can see Christmas doesn't cheer any of you up.

When I read this board, I read about 3-4 people who do nothing but complain. They complain about coaches, players, administrators, the board and the President at YSU. So I ask, why come and why support the team. If it's because you're an alum, why did you choose to go here?

Someone said "the athletic dept. is incompetent and so are the board of trustees and president(past and present)." So why in Gods name would you support a school that you think is poorly managed from top to bottom?

Now I'm younger than most of you. I'm in the Penguin Club for both basketball and football. I give a large portion of my paycheck to the athletics department. But if I had the negative feelings that the 3-4 of you on this board (you negative thinkers know who you are) I wouldn't give a penny to the department.

I have had a few buddies come with me to some football and basketball games, they are baffled by when folks like Wick250 and others complain about music being played in the arena. It's comical. Just watch the game and try to enjoy your life. I live everyday to live the complete opposite life of these negative people I run into in this area. I guess if you're never happy at this point of your life, you never will be.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 07:47:36 AM »
Athletic department announces GA tickets for Sundays game are $1

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »

When I read this board, I read about 3-4 people who do nothing but complain. They complain about coaches, players, administrators, the board and the President at YSU. So I ask, why come and why support the team. If it's because you're an alum, why did you choose to go here?

Someone said "the athletic dept. is incompetent and so are the board of trustees and president(past and present)." So why in Gods name would you support a school that you think is poorly managed from top to bottom?

Now I'm younger than most of you. I'm in the Penguin Club for both basketball and football. I give a large portion of my paycheck to the athletics department. But if I had the negative feelings that the 3-4 of you on this board (you negative thinkers know who you are) I wouldn't give a penny to the department.

I have had a few buddies come with me to some football and basketball games, they are baffled by when folks like Wick250 and others complain about music being played in the arena. It's comical. Just watch the game and try to enjoy your life. I live everyday to live the complete opposite life of these negative people I run into in this area. I guess if you're never happy at this point of your life, you never will be.

You must be the guy that occasionally stands and cheers, thereby ruining the game for everybody.  :D

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »

You must be the guy that occasionally stands and cheers, thereby ruining the game for everybody.  :D

LOL!!! I am "that guy".
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
The Strollo apologists do a fine job with attacking the messengers, but that cannot change this fundamental reality.  YSU sports is now irrelevant in the community.  We now cannot draw 1,000 people to a basketball game.  Next fall, we will struggle to place more than 5,000 people in the stands at Stambaugh to watch a very bad football team.  So keep throwing verbal stones at those who have the audacity to complain about the monumental decline in YSU athletics; much of it caused by years of mismanagement and poor decision-making from one of the worst athletic administrations in the country.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 01:25:33 PM »
making from one of the worst athletic administrations in the country.

Then please, please, please answer my question. WHY DO YOU KEEP COMING?

There are many, many other options and ways to spend your money. In the valley you have the Scrappers and Phantoms. In Cleveland / Pitt an hour+ drive away you have multiple NFL, MLB teams. You got the NHL in Pittsburgh, the NBA in Cleveland. You have Kent State and Akron a 45 minute drive away who plays really good college basketball. Hell, now that the Pitt Panthers are in the ACC you get to see some pretty good teams come there every year.

So I ask this question you refuse to answer. If the athletics department in the worst in the country. If you honestly believe our teams cannot/won't compete, then why would you ever think about coming to a game?

I patiently await your response, and my next post will tell you why I come.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »
I've been follwing the Penguins since I was a kid.  I went to both home and away games and to the Championship games.  I've never seen this much acceptance of mediocrity in the Athletic Department before.  This year, I began to ask myself, "if the University doesn't care, than why should I?" I will always be a fan, but instead of watching games, and getting hyped up for them, I'll probably just check the scores and maybe read a write up if I have the time.  I do think the FB team will make the playoffs (since 24 teams do now), but like a MEAC team or Fordham, they'll beat a 1-AAA in the first round and get clobbered in the second by a 1-AA team, and then congratulate themselves on a great season.  YSU MBB will also make the CBI or its equivalent and have a similar result.  However overall, as it was already said, they'll not be relevant in the community or NCAA until someone gives a s***.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
So here is a list of reasons why I come to the games. Since negative people like Wick250 say no one comes / should come, even though he/she comes???

1. Great Family fun. You know your kids will be safe and have a great time watching Division I college basketball from the best possible seat location.

2. I'm an alum, and gosh darnit, I'm damn proud of it.

3. Getting to know the coaches in and about the community makes is easy to root for them. YSU coaches do an A+ job at making themselves approachable and involved in the community.

4. Kendrick Perry is a helluva player. He's honestly the best player I have ever seen in YSU history. The plays he makes both defensively and offensively wow you multiple times each game.

5. Friends I meet at the game are enjoyable to be around. I yell at the top of my lounges people like Wick and Paladin are the very very low minority. Most fans I'm around are very positive thinking, successful alum who enjoy the game. But there are a few exceptions who like the louder and more times they post on a message board, that people will care (we don't).

So there's some reasons from a 34 year old YSU alum. I just hope some of you (cough cough Wick) realize people read this board without posting, and are mocking you. A lot of times in the stands we make comments that a person like Wick would during the game. Like why are we only up 10, we should be up 30 on these guys if it wasn't for Strollo.