Author Topic: Time for Basketballl season  (Read 3358 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Time for Basketballl season
« on: November 24, 2013, 12:05:32 PM »
Men are 5-1. Play Kent State on Wednesday and we have a chance to beat these guys.... Come out and start supporting these guys!!! The women also, who I think will get better once everyone is healthy and they start meshing well together.

Spiderlegs

Re: Time for Basketballl season
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »
I was waiting for someone to divert our attention to something more positive than the football team.  The judgment is still out on the men because of the relative ease of opponent, but they can be fun to watch.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
We are 6-1 but three wins against the YMCA.  The meat of the schedule to come.  I think 17 or more wins for the men's team.  Problem is we are averaging 1200 fans a game for B-ball.  That is insane.  Great job Strollo getting the fans to come out. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 12:59:05 PM »
They've already had a big win against Eastern Kentucky. Hope they can compete against Can't this week.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
We are 6-1 but three wins against the YMCA.  The meat of the schedule to come.  I think 17 or more wins for the men's team.  Problem is we are averaging 1200 fans a game for B-ball.  That is insane.  Great job Strollo getting the fans to come out.
We already beat RPI #120 Eastern Kentucky who is 6-1 and was projected to win the eastern half of the Ohio Valley Conference.

First 3 home games were against 3 Division 1 teams, hence those attendance numbers. I've gone to most games under Slocum, but I chose not to attend 2 of the first 3 home games because the competition level was weak. Attendance always grows during Horizon League conference play as many folks are now more familiar with the opposition, such as Cleveland State and Wright State.

I am looking forward to the game Wednesday night at Kent State. I will be there. Being that it is the day before Thanksgiving, I wouldn't think there would be many students at the game at all for Kent, which believe it or not may benefit us. I've been to a few games there in the past and they always had a loud and vocal student presence, which seemed to doom us a bit. We've always struggled on the road at Kent and Akron under Slocum, but I think we can keep it close this year vs. these guys due to our depth, which we never had before.

In other news, it is just the 2nd week of the season, but UMASS is #1 in the RPI and YSU is #8. I know come March we will be back in the 100s, but hopefully closer to 120.

Still sticking to my prediction of 21 wins.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
Some people believe that football and basketball are somehow competing against each other for community support.  I have always found that argument to be absurd.  I am convinced that we can improve attendance at basketball games ONLY by cultivating more football fans to adopt a second sport.  The fate of the two sports are intertwined, which is why the contempt and hatred toward Wolford and Strollo over football is a very bad thing for basketball.  Good luck getting many fans into the gym this winter.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
This team could have a special year... Wednesday will be a good measuring stick
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:06:42 AM by ysufan0505 »