Author Topic: Who is head coach in 2014 ?  (Read 50477 times)

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Who is head coach in 2014 ?
« on: November 23, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »
With Wolford failing to improve the defense in the 4 years as head coach and with us missing the playoffs for his 4th straight season tmrw,  Who do we hire as the new head coach ?  Carl Pelini ? Mark Mangino ? Who ?

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Who is head coach in 2014 ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »
Strollo, I hope you read this or it somehow gets forwarded to you.  Coach Wolford is a poorly spoken, high energy/low content coach.  He "barks" at his players like a bunch of dogs as motivation.  Really?  Is this a technique that he learned from Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or Jim Tressel?  Who does that?  There is NO WAY that YSU will ever win a National Championship with Wolf as the head coach.  I hope/pray that those rumors from a few weeks ago about Miami of Ohio being interested in Wolf are true (still).  They would be doing us a huge favor taking this guy off of your hands.  I had grown skeptical of Wolf but, gave him the benefit of the doubt until the past two weeks.  I understand that NDSU is a great team but, his antics and halftime interview turned me off.  Add in today's "display"... bye, bye!  Please try somebody else.  He is not loved by this community.  If you want to increase attendance, put a winner on the field led by a man who the community embraces.  My attendance at future YSU games is in question if Wolf is still at the helm.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
Somebody who will make our kids tough!!  We are so soft!!!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »
The lack of coaching is apparent with HESS......... He got NO better and he was a YES man for this dog and pony show......... 

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »
If Eric Wolford gives one sh** about this program, he'll turn in resignation tomorrow at 11:31am after YSU doesn't make the playoffs.....again.  Man up Coach and let us start over again.  You just don't get it!!!

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »
Rick Shepas would be a great choice!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 04:55:28 PM »
Maybe NARDUZZIS son....?  At least we would have a defense.......  Im sure he is on to bigger things

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
When I saw the title of this topic, my first reaction was: we don't have the money to pay about 200k to a guy for not coaching next season.  Upon reflection, we will lose far more than 200k in ticket sales, loge rentals, and advertising if a change is not made.

As for the next coach, if we had a dynamic athletic director with expertise in personnel evaluation, my suggestion would be to find a young, aggressive head coach at the lower levels.  But given Strollo's limitations with personnel evaluation, the safest and best choice is Mark Mangino, if he wants the job.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  I certainly did not follow this closely.  Wasn't Mangino's trouble at Kansas accusations of being "mean" to his players, rather than NCAA violations?  In other words, he did some of the things that high school coaches in the Mahoning and Shenango valleys have been doing for about a century.  Is this right?  All I know is that Mangino took a program that was off the football map since the days of Gale Sayers and won, at least for a time.  Surely, rebuilding YSU into a FCS power would be an easier task.

There is another reason why the change must be made now.  Fan discontent on the gridiron also poisons any chance for rebuilding crowd support for basketball.  It has been obvious for years that casual fans in the Mahoning Valley could care less about YSU basketball.  The only realistic opportunity to elevate interest would come from the patronage of HAPPY football fans, who might be inclined to at least occasionally support a second sport.  Well, football fans are not happy.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »
In each of his four years, Wolford has improved the win-loss record.  In YSU's four losses this year, one was to 10-1 Michigan State, one to the most dominant team in FCS football and two time defending champs, one to a playoff team that finishes second in the SEC of the FCS, and to a loss to perennial power UNI @the UNIdome.  I do think YSU will make the playoffs as an 8-4 team that finishes third in the MVFC, especially with a 24 team field.  If Wolford has a fifth year in his contract, than he is here next year, especially if YSU is a playoff team for the first time since 2006.

That being said, YSU likely will get wiped out in the second round of the playoffs.  Also, although improved, YSU is a far far cry from anything resembling an FCS powerhouse.  I wrote after the Dayton game that the days of dominance are gone, and aren't coming back.  I still feel that way.  If YSU wants to return to those days of packing the Castle, contending and winning titles, and having national positive exposure for the University, than the AD needs to be replaced.  He has a record of failure and bad decisions.  Also, if 2014 doesn't produce a team that reaches deep into the playoffs, than it would be worth letting Wolf's contract expire.

The UNI loss was devastating.  With a win, ESPN College Game Day would've been on campus, and YSU may have received a seed and a first round bye in the post season.  What a recruiting bonanza that would have been.

Hess is an above average FCS QB, and average in the MVFC.  I think he was very impressive in the Penn State game, the NDSU win in the Fargodome, and the Pitt game, but those moments are outshadowed by suboptimal performances.  He lacks the mobility a team needs that has a porous OL.  He has broken records as he has played a long time, due more to good health than outstanding talent.  I am tired of announcers praising him as one of the greatest between INTs.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline NDSUSR

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »

The UNI loss was devastating.  With a win, ESPN College Game Day would've been on campus, and YSU may have received a seed and a first round bye in the post season. 

This was demoralizing and the moment when the end of the year came to YSU.
I hope you guys get things turned around next year.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
Shepas will recruit tough kids and expect toughness!!!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »
Wolford said. “We talk about preparation and handling things we control.” As quoted in the VINDY..... I wonder if he cares to elaborate on exactly how he goes about what he preaches.... What a joke.....

Offline penguin8797

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »

The UNI loss was devastating.  With a win, ESPN College Game Day would've been on campus, and YSU may have received a seed and a first round bye in the post season.  What a recruiting bonanza that would have been.

There was ZERO chance that ESPN was ever going to do a game day from YSU. Be realistic.

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »

There was ZERO chance that ESPN was ever going to do a game day from YSU. Be realistic.

last week on Gameday from Los Angles when they did the picks they said YSU was the front runner to host game day before the loss to UNI

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 06:23:15 PM »

Where do you get that info?  From the Vindy:

"YSU fans had been pushing for ESPN’s College GameDay to come to Youngstown for the contest, and the city apparently was very much in the discussion, according to GameDay producer Lee Fitting, who wrote this on his Twitter account on Sunday: “Yes. #Youngstown State, hosting @NDSUathletics was in the mix for @CollegeGameDay this week, until they lost last night. Next time.”

GameDay analyst Kirk Hebrstreit went a step further, tweeting that Youngstown “was the leader in the middle of the afternoon.” "

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/nov/15/wolford-wants-fans-to-rock-ice-castle/

In this season's post-mortum...UNI was the turning point... this was worse than the 2011 Missouri State loss...
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen