Author Topic: So what happens now...  (Read 37267 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: So what happens now...
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »
Me too, IP!!!!

What gives for the future of YSU football?????  Does anyone care to give a thought about that????  Can't remember when I had an encouraging thought (Heacock, you don't agree, that's okay).  I am as I was THREE
Years ago....no play off hopes...so where do we go from here.  Your thoughts!!!!
Where do we go, only one way to go - forward. We only lost to one team that we should have beat. Last two games showed us how high the bar is, Wolf will be back but the other coaches ?????. If he wants to improve Wolf better take a hard look at his recruiting and his staff. Defense needs most of the attention. Dah!

I will still get my season tickets and I will still go to every game.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »
Pita--we're in a tough spot right now. Specifically, Mr. Strollo is in a tough spot. He has no money to buy out the last year of Wolford's contract. That being said, letting him coach the last year as a lame-duck is a poor option as it will make it near impossible for him to effectively recruit. And if he extends his contract right now, all heck will break loose. All that and breaking in a new quarterback in a tough league will make it tough on whoever is coaching. Good luck selling tickets next year. I'd say pop in those tapes of the 90's teams, have a glass of wine, and tell Ray he looks good. Then again, maybe a few glasses of wine to make the last statement!!!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »
Where do we go, only one way to go - forward. We only lost to one team that we should have beat. Last two games showed us how high the bar is.

The weak schedule upfront was also an issue. Imagine a universe in which Morehead St. and either Dayton or Duquesne were replaced by Sam Houston State and Tennessee State. Sure, you'd probably have to travel to one of those (SHSU) but you'd probably be in the playoffs right now. YSU's low-risk high-return strategy in its non-conference scheduling isn't working too well. 

Or replace a nearly impossible FBS team to beat with a lesser one, e.g., Western Michigan--it's still an FBS win. Sure you don't make as much from the money game, but you're still playing in the postseason.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:40:14 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2013, 09:59:58 PM »
I had originally projected YSU to go 7-5 and miss the playoffs ( as I didn't think 7 wins in a 12 game schedule would get in). It went pretty much as expected -- Mich St. loss, weenie team wins, split success in the MVFC and only a missed xp and avoiding OT saved us from potential loss with SIU . 7-5 wasn't far away. 8-4 is better but the butt kicking at the top that they took was horrendous. Farley, Bohl and Steig all do a nice job of getting their kids prepared. We don't. While I'm not in the camp that say the talent is terrible, I'm  very much agreeing that the D isn't given the players it needs and the coaching there is substandard. Lots of skill players here, some OL. But that will change next year To try to outscore the opposition isn't working out because other teams have better Ds than we do. I'm not hopeful it gets better next year.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2013, 12:03:02 AM »
Turn out the lights the party' over. Oh wait the party has been over the last 15 years!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2013, 12:06:04 AM »
I have faith in Wolford... For one more year.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »
Maybe ysu should hire carl pelini. All fans could be allowed to bring their kush and get stoned. Ysu would be sure to get a full house! It would be a festive and happy atmosphere at least and noone would care if we won or lost! 

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2013, 12:17:43 AM »
I have faith in Wolford... For one more year.
I truly believe Masochism can be treated.  There are professionals out there who treat your condition.

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2013, 12:22:49 AM »
Maybe my last post was a little harsh. Apologies. But faith in what for heavens sake?  One more year like the last four? Is next years schedule out already? Are we scheduling all NAIA teams out of conference/

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2013, 12:31:27 AM »
Whose more likely to crack up from the pressure, quit their job, and become homeless like the Super Fan? Wolf or strollo?

If i was a betting man i would say wolf. Strollo has been around alot longer and has shown he has thicker skin than most.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2013, 07:55:01 AM »
Renew Wolford's contract for three years at same salary level, but take away the buyout provision and turn him into an at-will employee until the playoffs are a routine event. Allows him to build on his success (he has had success, just not as much as we would like) and also allows YSU to dump him if he can't build on his success.

W. really has to give on the scheduling thing. The 2-3 weak schools + FBS money game isn't working. Strengthen the FCS non-conference schedule, and move to a winnable FBS game.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2013, 08:05:09 AM »
Renew Wolford's contract for three years at same salary level, but take away the buyout provision and turn him into an at-will employee until the playoffs are a routine event. Allows him to build on his success (he has had success, just not as much as we would like) and also allows YSU to dump him if he can't build on his success.

W. really has to give on the scheduling thing. The 2-3 weak schools + FBS money game isn't working. Strengthen the FCS non-conference schedule, and move to a winnable FBS game.

I don't think it is that easy.

The scheduling has at least improved in that we don't play D2 teams anymore.

The schedule hurt the playoff chances as much as the coaching and players hurt our chances. We can beat several teams that were seeded, and beat them handily. Weighting the schedule a little heavier in the beginning of the season would have helped us as well in the eyes of others. However, as Paladin pointed out, the prerequisite has changed again. Now we have 8 div 1 wins in the toughest conference and played an entirely d1 scheudle. Regardless of when the wins and losses come the record is still the record and the timing of the losses is subjective and political.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »

The schedule hurt the playoff chances as much as the coaching and players hurt our chances. We can beat several teams that were seeded, and beat them handily. Weighting the schedule a little heavier in the beginning of the season would have helped us as well in the eyes of others. However, as Paladin pointed out, the prerequisite has changed again. Now we have 8 div 1 wins in the toughest conference and played an entirely d1 scheudle. Regardless of when the wins and losses come the record is still the record and the timing of the losses is subjective and political.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't! Sam Houston State played 2 DII's and ended up with 6 D-1 win's and are in the playoffs! YSU is screwed anyway you look at it. "IF" we went 11-1 and got the auto bid some how YSU would have been a 4 seed LOL  8)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2013, 11:54:46 AM »

Damned if you do and damned if you don't! Sam Houston State played 2 DII's and ended up with 6 D-1 win's and are in the playoffs! YSU is screwed anyway you look at it. "IF" we went 11-1 and got the auto bid some how YSU would have been a 4 seed LOL  8)

Sam Houston played NO Division II schools.  Houston Baptist and Incarnate Word are both FCS Independents and will be in the Southland next year.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2013, 12:25:02 PM »

Sam Houston played NO Division II schools.  Houston Baptist and Incarnate Word are both FCS Independents and will be in the Southland next year.

That's what I get for using AGS as my source of information  ::)