Author Topic: Attendance  (Read 12201 times)

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Attendance
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:04:47 AM »
Every year there are more and more oddballs showing up at fball and bball games and less normal looking people and less fans overall. Is ysu giving away free tickets to all the halfway houses on the northside? I guess strollo has to find a way to fill the seats somehow.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Attendance
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »
I love veterans and love all those who have served...but we are giving 4 tickets to anyone with a military ID...4?  Really??  I could see 2 but 4???  Like I have said a million times...this marketing department thinks that if you give away tickets you will have a "good" crowd???  Just because you give away tickets does not mean it will be a loud, supportive crowd... it only means you will have a lot of people in the stands...thats all..I would rather have 5000 loud fans than 15,000 people crocheting in the stands or not knowing who the players on the field are...DRIVES ME OUT OF MY MIND!!!  Must I post the picture of the woman crocheting again??!!! :( :( :(

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »
There was a story a few weeks ago in either the Vindy or Trib.

Strollo mentioned that they have very few corporate tickets sold for this week - the corporations are not interested in November games because the weather limits tailgating.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 10:36:33 PM »
I love veterans and love all those who have served...but we are giving 4 tickets to anyone with a military ID...4?  Really??  I could see 2 but 4???  Like I have said a million times...this marketing department thinks that if you give away tickets you will have a "good" crowd???  Just because you give away tickets does not mean it will be a loud, supportive crowd... it only means you will have a lot of people in the stands...thats all..I would rather have 5000 loud fans than 15,000 people crocheting in the stands or not knowing who the players on the field are...DRIVES ME OUT OF MY MIND!!!  Must I post the picture of the woman crocheting again??!!! :( :( :(

GO GUINS

Yes please!  I need to see that picture again.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 10:48:50 PM »
I only expect 10k butts in seats for the NDSU game. Weather looks to be O.K.  Looking forward to the game.

Offline letsgoguins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 11:36:30 PM »
I just hope that woman crocheting brings her entire club ...I will serve them all game. Just show up and knit all you want.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 02:37:23 AM »
I just hope that woman crocheting brings her entire club ...I will serve them all game. Just show up and knit all you want.

Huh?  They are silent and don't even make any noise.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:55:27 AM »
better than an empty seat ...right?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 08:06:48 AM »
better than an empty seat ...right?

The game needs to be a cool place for people to go so you get the the twenty somethings to the games. Even hS kids need to be targeted. Then you will get the loud and rowdy fans to the game. They need to flip the age groups on ticket sales. Also families need to be targeted and the teens will push the parents to go. That is what we need. The tailgate lot looks like a retirement community. There isn't enough youth (not that there isn't anything wrong with that) but there aren't many younger people. The knitters tell the real fans to site down and shut up. I have had it happen to me multiple times.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 09:46:08 AM »
Great points Power. I would point out that YSU is in a very unique situation ...that is that YSU football has become a social gathering spot. I think I posted this before, but when I went to a play-off game in Macomb, it was Thanksgiving break and the place was empty. Basically just player families. YSU is just like here in Columbus ...mostly locals in attendance (20k students + 80k non). I would think that the woman knitting probably came with kids and grandkids. Maybe husband, etc. It really is a good thing.

What do you think about making a bigger deal out of the student section? I have always liked the idea of having HS seniors tour campus on game day & bring them. I also like the idea of having a day for particular schools. Bus the children (hopefully parents will come as well). However, we have to do this right. That is give them a first-class tailgate experience as well. The issue becomes being able to find police support.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »
Great points Power. I would point out that YSU is in a very unique situation ...that is that YSU football has become a social gathering spot. I think I posted this before, but when I went to a play-off game in Macomb, it was Thanksgiving break and the place was empty. Basically just player families. YSU is just like here in Columbus ...mostly locals in attendance (20k students + 80k non). I would think that the woman knitting probably came with kids and grandkids. Maybe husband, etc. It really is a good thing.

What do you think about making a bigger deal out of the student section? I have always liked the idea of having HS seniors tour campus on game day & bring them. I also like the idea of having a day for particular schools. Bus the children (hopefully parents will come as well). However, we have to do this right. That is give them a first-class tailgate experience as well. The issue becomes being able to find police support.

Yes.  The student section must be emphasized and it can start by the administration getting behind it. I have never once heard a faculty member except for Mincey remind their classes that the fooball team is play this Saturday at 5:00 and they are pretty good and need your support. It is a cheap date too. Then the student government could sponsor prospective students through their organization and get the HS kids involved. The police support will be paid for by the higher revenue generated by the attendance. The athletic department needs to target families with the tailgate tickets. Hell, I would drop the price in the lowest lot or find another area that never gets filled and have a first come first serve $10.00 ticket and market it like they do a family event. They have to pay $5.00 for parking anyway, now they can bring theor grill and tailgate for $10.00. That is how you create the family tradition needed to pass this on from generation to generation.   When I lived in Y-town I saved a portion of my income to pay for upper level Penguin Club membership and get me into the upper lot (back when you couldn't get into the upper lot). I say rent out spaces, block off Lincoln and let people pay $10.00 to park therei am sure the businesses on Lincoln would not be upset to have Lincoln be a tailgate lot.  Marketing is needed here.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:28:18 AM by penguinpower »

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 11:21:14 AM »

Yes.  The student section must be emphasized and it can start by the administration getting behind it. I have never once heard a faculty member except for Mincey remind their classes that the fooball team is play this Saturday at 5:00 and they are pretty good and need your support. It is a cheap date too. Then the student government could sponsor prospective students through their organization and get the HS kids involved. The police support will be paid for by the higher revenue generated by the attendance. The athletic department needs to target families with the tailgate tickets. Hell, I would drop the price in the lowest lot or find another area that never gets filled and have a first come first serve $10.00 ticket and market it like they do a family event. They have to pay $5.00 for parking anyway, now they can bring theor grill and tailgate for $10.00. That is how you create the family tradition needed to pass this on from generation to generation.   When I lived in Y-town I saved a portion of my income to pay for upper level Penguin Club membership and get me into the upper lot (back when you couldn't get into the upper lot). I say rent out spaces, block off Lincoln and let people pay $10.00 to park therei am sure the businesses on Lincoln would not be upset to have Lincoln be a tailgate lot.  Marketing is needed here.

Power....you have hit the nail on the proverbial head.  I'm not sure that the Athletic Department does a very good marketing job for any of their sports.  You bring up great points especially for tailgating, we've questioned giving up our tailgate pass for several years now.....it's gotten so expensive and the games are just not promoted very well at all.  I'm pretty sure everyone knows the reasons why attendance continually drops.....with OSU and unemployment, etc.....should make the Athletic Department work even harder on marketing its product.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 01:07:28 PM »
I hate to burst everyone's bubble but the youth of today are not the youth of yesterday. If they are in school , they are working to pay for school. If in H.S., they have their own social scene and that's not college yet and never will be for most. Kids today are interested in getting high, getting drunk or getting laid. And that's not just at YSU. Its simply a sign of the times. Add in cost and kids aren't going to spend $$$$$$$$$$$ for a college game. The world is different today.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 02:05:57 PM »
The student section has been much bigger this year than years past. But the Athletic Department's marketing ways are horrible. I haven't heard one thing about the NDSU game besides Military get 4 free tickets.... Seriously????