Author Topic: Remaining three Football Games  (Read 4518 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Remaining three Football Games
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
NDSU has how many D1 schools in the state?.. 2 maybe?.. both FCS..

YSU has 10+ (I'm too lazy to make a list and count all of them). 

And OSU has as big a following as any school in the nation to boot.
So there are 10 D1 schools, your population is 11.5 million to our 700,000. Gives you a 1 million+ per school average while ours is 350,000.
I agree that we should always be able to sell out. In our defense, we are simply not a prime-time attraction unless we are winners. Also, you understand that Akron and Kent State are minutes away? Kent even has a branch in Youngstown. More families from Youngstown send their kids to Kent, than YSU.

However, I do say that your solitude offers a strong recruiting advantage to schools like NDSU, SDSU and USD.  The state monies are only spread over a couple of teams ...not 14 (which is the number of state-sponsored D1 schools in Ohio that play sports). YSU is number-13 on that list.

Honestly, the NDSU game is the least concerning to me of the three remaining. Wins over UNI and SDSU are FAR more important. Just as many people are attending the NDSU game to see former OSU coach Tressel as watch the game ...which is fine by me. In fact I will bet you that there will be thousands in attendance that do not even know Tressel was our HC and AD for 15-years.

ValleyTalk

Re: Remaining three Football Games
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:46:52 AM »
More families from Youngstown send their kids to Kent, than YSU.
Although there are plenty of Mahoning Valley students at Kent and Akron, I can assure you Youngstown State has more Valley kids than Akron and Kent State.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »
Although there are plenty of Mahoning Valley students at Kent and Akron, I can assure you Youngstown State has more Valley kids than Akron and Kent State.

Agreed

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »

I am talking about Ytown, you are talking the entire Valley. Also I am talking about Akron and Kent combined. I would probably still not agree.

Akron is just really outside the Valley ..so maybe school to school ...YSU has more valley attendance; but not when you combine the two schools. As far as school-to-school vs. Kent ...Now possibly an equal number, but not more. Kent is in the Mahoning Valley & has more students than YSU. Granted Kent has made a strong push for students away from the Valley, but I would still say the bulk of their students are local. You forget the 4 branches ...3 of which are also in the valley and have almost 100% local attendance.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 12:23:48 PM »
Come on, IAA Fan, stick to sports or other topics where you have expertise.  YSU attracts the overwhelming majority of students from the Mahoning Valley.  In fact, our current dip in enrollment is due precisely to a sharp decline in the number of high school graduates in our service area.  Kent and Akron attract a minimal amount of students, no more than we lure from Stark, Summit, or Portage counties.  Now if you are counting the enrollment at the Kent branches in Warren, Salem, or East Liverpool, that inflates the figures.  But those places are little more than junior or community colleges.  Many of those "students" are seeking to enhance specific skills and not to acquire even two year degrees.  We don't get them and we don't want them.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »
I see the difference. I consider the Mahoning Valley to be larger than you do. I consider Kent to be in the Mahoning Valley. You are thinking strictly Mahoning, Trumbull, and parts of Shenango & Neshanock counties.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »
I see the difference. I consider the Mahoning Valley to be larger than you do. I consider Kent to be in the Mahoning Valley. You are thinking strictly Mahoning, Trumbull, and parts of Shenango & Neshanock counties.

Shenago and Neshannock are rivers, townships and high schools in Lawrence County. I am sure that you meant Mercer and Lawrence and maybe Beaver county being part of the greater Youngstown area.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
Yes sorry been a while. I think it turns into the Shenango Valley over there. But I still consider it the Mahoning Valley. I really still use Tressel's old State of Youngstown ...which is this part of the Ohio Valley ..which is why I include Akron and Kent. Yes you are right though. Mahoning,Trumbull, Mercer, Lawrence, parts of Beaver (I am thinking  and Columbiana counties. I am thinking south of New Castle ...Ellwood City, Koppel, Beaver Falls area ...is that Beaver County?

Let's not forget the Penn State campus over there.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »
Ellwood straddles Lawrence and Beaver mostly in Lawrence. Koppel and BF in Beaver. All are areas that should be considered state of Ytown and should be recruited as such.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne