Author Topic: Halftime Adjustments  (Read 6525 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Halftime Adjustments
« on: October 07, 2013, 02:49:57 PM »
I was going to post this after the game, but it would have been buried with all the concern about giving up the two touchdowns in garbage time.  Early in his tenure here, we all remember that Wolford was well prepared at the start of a game.  We held leads against FCS foes in the first half in nearly every game.  Then we had to endure second half meltdowns as opposing coaches made halftime adjustments for which Wolford seemed clueless to respond.

Now consider these first two league road games.  In the first half, the defense was inadequate (to be polite) or terrible (to be realistic.)  Yet we made the adjustments and Southern Illinois got next to nothing in the second half while Indiana State made little until garbage time started around the 8:00 mark of the final quarter.  So has Wolford matured and learned?  Or has Mark Mangino made a difference?  Your thoughts please.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Halftime Adjustments
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »
Excellent topic Wick. 

Probably a little of both.  But I also think we need to factor in 1 other thing.  Wolford has been freely substituting people on offense and defense the entire game.  As a matter of fact we almost got called for too many men on the field, and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we take a timeout at one point against ISU-blue to sub on defense?  I thought they were running a hurry-up and we had to call a timeout to sub.

This may be part of the picture as well.  Not sure how much input Mangino has.  It seems that he has been relegated to postion coach.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »
Mangino is the TE coach and has nothing to do with the D. Now lets get real........... neither SIU nor  INS is top tier in the MVFC. Best wait till we match up with NDSU & UNI. Then discuss it.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:49:29 PM »
Mangino is the TE coach and has nothing to do with the D. Now lets get real........... neither SIU nor  INS is top tier in the MVFC. Best wait till we match up with NDSU & UNI. Then discuss it.

SIU is better than people think. As they took down SDSU last week.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:46:39 PM »

I watched that game and there is a little more that needs to be known.  The field was a mess.  Wet soggy grazz field.  Their stadium is a dump and the fiel is worse than any he field I have seen around Y-town.  The playbook was very limited and running the ball played right into siu' s strength.  I am not saying they are a bad team, but just saying that the field was a great equalizer.  I also think SDSU was a little overrated and they were beat up pretty good after playing ndsu the week before.  Just something to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:47:47 PM by penguinpower »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:38:22 PM »

I watched that game and there is a little more that needs to be known.  The field was a mess.  Wet soggy grazz field.  Their stadium is a dump and the fiel is worse than any he field I have seen around Y-town.  The playbook was very limited and running the ball played right into siu' s strength.  I am not saying they are a bad team, but just saying that the field was a great equalizer.  I also think SDSU was a little overrated and they were beat up pretty good after playing ndsu the week before.  Just something to keep in mind.

True I hear ya. SDSU has the worst facilities in the conference.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »

Maybe not top tier but you have to make the needed adjustments no matter who you are playing. I agree that in the last couple of games the coaches have done a good job.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 05:59:24 AM »

http://www.gojacks.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=209276603

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »

http://www.gojacks.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=209276603

Crazy how they get 12 Mil from 2 guys lol.... We struggle to get a video board for beeghly.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 05:45:17 PM »
It's good to be the king ...the better of 2 division-I schools in the state. Here is an interesting list, DI schools by state. Look at the states that have traditional & current power football teams of I-AA/FCS

Maine: 1
North Dakota: 2
South Dakota 2
Delaware: 2
Nevada: 2
West Virginia: 2
New Hampshire: 2
Montana: 2
Iowa: 3

Ohio:? 13 (11 of which play football). Now look at Georgia. A state with large population, a hotbed of HS recruits, and only 4 DI schools.

there is a direct correlation.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 07:40:04 AM »
It's good to be the king ...the better of 2 division-I schools in the state. Here is an interesting list, DI schools by state. Look at the states that have traditional & current power football teams of I-AA/FCS

Maine: 1
North Dakota: 2
South Dakota 2
Delaware: 2
Nevada: 2
West Virginia: 2
New Hampshire: 2
Montana: 2
Iowa: 3

Ohio:? 13 (11 of which play football). Now look at Georgia. A state with large population, a hotbed of HS recruits, and only 4 DI schools.

there is a direct correlation.

Very interesting...