Author Topic: Life after Wolford  (Read 42140 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Life after Wolford
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »
Eric will be gone after this year.  What do we think will happen next for the program?
It's threads like these that prove fans shouldn't post during or immediately after a game out of complete frustration. We got our asses kicked, yes, but the season is far from over.

We were destined to go 3-1 in September and if we take care of business next week, we will be right where we should be. Conference play, and how our defense performs early in conference play vs. the middle pack which we see in October, will determine our fate.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 07:19:10 AM »
November
Sat 2 at South Dakota *
Sat 9 at UNI *
Sat 16 NORTH DAKOTA STATE *
Sat 23 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Correct, Everyone expected to go 3-1 in September. However, after a lousy game 1, and the most embarrassing loss in school history in game 3 ...can you say 1-3 in November? Just a bit of advice ...we play the "best" team in the conference the week of November 23rd. We cannot go around hoping the beat the middle-of-the-pack in October, just to cover up our November.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »
November
Sat 2 at South Dakota *
Sat 9 at UNI *

Correct, Everyone expected to go 3-1 in September. However, after a lousy game 1, and the most embarrassing loss in school history in game 3 ...can you say 1-3 in November? Just a bit of advice ...we play the "best" team in the conference the week of November 23rd. We cannot go around hoping the beat the middle-of-the-pack in October, just to cover up our November.

As usual Dan you never cease to amazing me  :o  NDSU last year was 10x's worse  fb

My two cents.. This game reminded me of the NDSU game last year. I was thinking YSU was not doing so bad until the option pitch to 29 fumble.. After that it seemed the life went out of the team and the wheels came off just like the pick six did at NDSU.

Bottom line MSU is WAY BETTERthan YSU- Coaching, size, speed,athletes' , etc.. Hell their line backers were bigger than half our O-line and faster than our #29 and # 4.  :-\ What happened to YSUs team speed? WR's must run about 5.5 40's and #4 has lost a step or two. Defense was so far off the ball to compensate for the difference in speed that any slant pattern was 100% as long as the MSU QB was in time with the receiver.

I'm not throwing in the towel yet. Maybe this is a wakeup call and the guy's will get their act together this week. The Duke's are about a 1/2 step behind Dayton. Should = a 35 point blowout "IF" the team comes out hungry and plays to their potential... "IF" YSU struggles to get it going then I'd say it's going to be a long season.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »
November
Sat 2 at South Dakota *
Sat 9 at UNI *

As usual Dan you never cease to amazing me  :o  NDSU last year was 10x's worse  fb

My two cents.. This game reminded me of the NDSU game last year. I was thinking YSU was not doing so bad until the option pitch to 29 fumble.. After that it seemed the life went out of the team and the wheels came off just like the pick six did at NDSU.

Bottom line MSU is WAY BETTERthan YSU- Coaching, size, speed,athletes' , etc.. Hell their line backers were bigger than half our O-line and faster than our #29 and # 4.  :-\ What happened to YSUs team speed? WR's must run about 5.5 40's and #4 has lost a step or two. Defense was so far off the ball to compensate for the difference in speed that any slant pattern was 100% as long as the MSU QB was in time with the receiver.

I'm not throwing in the towel yet. Maybe this is a wakeup call and the guy's will get their act together this week. The Duke's are about a 1/2 step behind Dayton. Should = a 35 point blowout "IF" the team comes out hungry and plays to their potential... "IF" YSU struggles to get it going then I'd say it's going to be a long season.

The point you bring up that is a dead ringer for me is the fact that Wolfords teams are not resilient.  The get defeated mentally in games and then they can't recover for a few games.  I don't understand that.  Where is the mental toughness?  Where are the players that are stubborn, headstrong, and persistent to the point where the coach would have to tell them the score becuase they are so focused on each play?  We have one or two bad breaks and the wind comes out of the sails.  Pisses me off.

It is clear to me that the team was deflated after play NDSU last year.  We need to shake this loss off and get it together.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:12:53 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »
Oh you had to remind me about NDSU! I do not know though. I still think this past week is more of a statistical "pounding" ...we are just being more forgiving because it was a Big10 school.

BTW. I still expect SDSU to win it all this year. At least the MVFC. They have more speed and better special teams than NDSU. Just as physical.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »
To fire someone you have to have a replacement in hand, whos going to want to come to YSU?
there are a ton of neighboorhoods around campus that aren't safe
there are some nice suburbs but some really ugly ones as well
YSU doesn't have a huge athletic budget for a football coach
if you get rid of Wolford you got to get rid of everyone on staff including the blob so that rules out in house canidates

Maybe Vince Kehres from Mount Union? i dont see him leaving his Dad but he's a young guy with coaching ties in the area (coached at Fitch)

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 05:57:27 PM »
Vince Kehres is the head football coach at Mt. Union.
I don't think it's enough to present someone with a "nowhere to go but up" philosophy.
There has to be a reason to come to YSU other than leaving another program.
We have a more than decent stadium and facilities, but so do a long list of other colleges.
What is the reason to come to YSU?

That said, I hope Wolford and company can right the ship.  I am neutral on him as head coach, but
I don't want to start looking like the Browns with our "wait until next year" (with a new HC) attitude.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 08:41:12 PM »

The point you bring up that is a dead ringer for me is the fact that Wolfords teams are not resilient.  The get defeated mentally in games and then they can't recover for a few games.  I don't understand that.  Where is the mental toughness?  Where are the players that are stubborn, headstrong, and persistent to the point where the coach would have to tell them the score becuase they are so focused on each play?  We have one or two bad breaks and the wind comes out of the sails.  Pisses me off.

It is clear to me that the team was deflated after play NDSU last year.  We need to shake this loss off and get it together.

I Agree
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 11:12:13 PM »
Vince Kehres is the head football coach at Mt. Union.
I don't think it's enough to present someone with a "nowhere to go but up" philosophy.
There has to be a reason to come to YSU other than leaving another program.
We have a more than decent stadium and facilities, but so do a long list of other colleges.
What is the reason to come to YSU?

That said, I hope Wolford and company can right the ship.  I am neutral on him as head coach, but
I don't want to start looking like the Browns with our "wait until next year" (with a new HC) attitude.

How about this thing called money?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:13:19 PM by AFGuin »

Offline YSURON

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »
The next coach will be Bear Mangino.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 01:51:59 AM »
The next coach will be Bear Mangino.

No shot.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 08:11:54 AM »
No that we need to be having this conversation, but let Kehres cut his teeth elsewhere. DIII is faaaaarrrrr too much of a step down. I realize he could be a stud, but I do not want to risk it.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 08:12:56 AM »
No that we need to be having this conversation, but let Kehres cut his teeth elsewhere. DIII is faaaaarrrrr too much of a step down. I realize he could be a stud, but I do not want to risk it.

DIII isn't that much of a step down, i have no doubt Mount Union would beat YSU any given year in the last decade by a few scores and the old man has put more guys into the NFL then YSU has recentley, you gotta take the risk to get anywhere if your a YSU who isn't going to lure a good coach anyways
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:14:41 AM by AFGuin »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 08:21:12 AM »

DIII isn't that much of a step down, i have no doubt Mount Union would beat YSU any given year in the last decade by a few scores and the old man has put more guys into the NFL then YSU has recentley

Are you serious? Not even a remote possibility of a close game. They probably would not even be able to score. I am wiling to bet that Ursuline or Mooney would beat them 25% of the time they play. That last sentence is a serious comment. YSU is not going to get those OSU & MAC leftovers, we are a public school (although I understand they are the same now). When has he had to recruit? Going out and looking for 2-sport athletes and/or smart players is not going to cut it here.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 08:24:09 AM »

DIII isn't that much of a step down, i have no doubt Mount Union would beat YSU any given year in the last decade by a few scores and the old man has put more guys into the NFL then YSU has recentley, you gotta take the risk to get anywhere if your a YSU who isn't going to lure a good coach anyways

There you go again with your nonsense.  I don't doubt Kehres is a good coach but your statement about DIII Mount Union competing with YSU is absurd.  How much time did it take for you to think this up?  This has to take a lot of effort.