Author Topic: Injuries  (Read 14016 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Injuries
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
Joe Scalzo reported today that both CB Dale Peterman and Safety Donald D'Alesio have knee injuries. Peterman's is MCL related and expected to be out 3-4 weeks. D'Alesio's has not been identified yet but it is his right knee and expected to be out at least 2 weeks. Not good news at all as both are starters and both leaders on defense.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Injuries
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 07:14:31 PM »
Thanks for the update. Very concerning.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:01:03 PM »
  I heard Zaborsky and Brown were also out with knee injuries.
Any word how serious and who is taking their places?  Another question.  Many programs have their linemen wearing knee braces and YSU does not.  Is this a cost issue or something the team doctor does not recommend?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:22:16 PM by ScarletRook »

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 05:22:25 PM »
My guess would have to be cost, ScarletRook.  those braces i believe are specially made to measurements taken, so each one is unique.  Ive heard numbers in the 3k up range for each pair.  That is if TV announcers are correct.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 11:39:16 PM »
Add starting RB Demond Hymes to the list. Rolled his ankle 2 days ago. Sat out today's scrimmage

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »
Always bad when the injury list starts to grow.  Fortunately, the outcome of the first four games is basically predetermined.  We need all these guys back for the conference opener at Southern Illinois on September 28.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 07:32:46 PM »
On knee braces. Evidence shows they shift the type of injury, also they do slow them up a bit. I would be in favor of wearing during camp, but then the players might not be comfortable at game-time. You see them in HS ball all of the time. Cost is between $300 and $600 a pair. My guess would be that YSU would not object to a player wearing them, but I understand that they do give a false sense of security.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 08:48:09 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I have noticed more colleges that are using the knee braces, but I never read anything that favored them or opposed them other than it would only help linemen due to their motion as opposed to that of a LB or DB.  Just seems to be a rash of knee injuries.

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »
The rash of injuries probably have more to do with structural weakness in the athlete than a knee brace or not.  I honestly thought the, fitted knee braces, would cost more than ones a highschooler would wear, though maybe more HS'ers are springing for the more expensive versions now.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 06:12:39 PM »
Wolford said that CB Dale Peterman will miss the first 2 games of the season. Hopefully we can get him back by the Michigan State game. First 2 games without him, we should be fine

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »
Well with all the injuries, any update on how the reserves are doing?  Who are the guys waiting in the wing that can step in?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 09:37:13 PM »
I think RS Freshman David Rivers has taken Dale's place at corner and RS Freshman Jameel Smith is at FS along with Freshman Kenny Bishop who was backing up at SS but now will get starting reps along with Josh Garner.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:52:44 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 10:21:30 AM »
I think RS Freshman David Rivers has taken Dale's place at corner and RS Freshman Jameel Smith is at FS along with Freshman Kenny Bishop who was backing up at SS but now will get starting reps along with Josh Garner.

That's odd, I would have though Childs and Boatwright would be 1st team after Dale. Anyone know if those 2 are healthy or has Rivers just won the spot?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 04:15:23 PM »

That's odd, I would have though Childs and Boatwright would be 1st team after Dale. Anyone know if those 2 are healthy or has Rivers just won the spot?

Rivers is playing good. He's a bigger corner. Just young..... Boatwright is the starting nickel DB so I'm pretty sure they left him there

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 11:16:17 PM »
On knee braces. Evidence shows they shift the type of injury, also they do slow them up a bit. I would be in favor of wearing during camp, but then the players might not be comfortable at game-time. You see them in HS ball all of the time. Cost is between $300 and $600 a pair. My guess would be that YSU would not object to a player wearing them, but I understand that they do give a false sense of security.

I owned an Orthopedic Implant/Knee Brace distributorship for 20 years. I also coached Strength and Conditioning at the D1 Level. If anyone would like my 30 + years of "real world" experience (on both sides of the matter).......on what causes "Knee and Ankle" injuries.....and more importantly, what can and can't be done to prevent such injurie.............please feel free to PM me.  Some braces for some indications work. Some that are very popular....do nothing  ;)

I will clarify the science, the reality....so we won't have to guess.....

The kids are in good hands with Coach Burkey ATC...and (basketball) and JD and staff.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:32:53 PM by Pizza »