Author Topic: Michgain State based previews of YSU @ Sparty  (Read 4437 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Michgain State based previews of YSU @ Sparty
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:30:49 PM »
If you are going to give examples of FCS over FBS in a story about YSU, wouldn't you, you know, mention YSU vs Pitt?  Of course that would involve acknowledging that football exists outside the cocoon of the B1G.

http://db.lsj.com/blogswp/couchonfire/an-early-spin-through-msus-football-season-youngstown-state-on-sept-14-offers-final-tuneup-before-season-gets-real/

This is the third in a 12-day series looking at Michigan State’s opponents this football season and their chances against the Spartans.

Week 3: Youngstown State
Time and Date: 2 p.m., Sept. 14
Venue: Spartan Stadium, East Lansing
TV: Big Ten Network

Penguins at a glance
Coach: Eric Wolford (Fourth season, 16-17)
Last season: 7-4 overall, 4-4 Missouri Valley (6th)
Returning starters: 14

Preseason magazine predictions
Athlon: None
Lindy’s: 4th, Missouri Valley; ranked No. 19 in FCS
Sporting News: 6th, Missouri Valley

Why they’ll beat the Spartans
FCS programs (still known more as Division I-AA) can be dangerous. The obvious example is Appalachian State beating Michigan in 2007. But it happens somewhat regularly and the close calls are annual events — the Wolverines’ escape of UMass in 2010, Wisconsin’s near-trip against Northern Iowa last season, etc.

It doesn’t take an elite FCS foe to pull the upset, but, as with mid-majors, it has to be one with elite playmakers and enough bulk in the trenches not to be blown over (It also helps if a few high-major transfers find their way to campus.). Youngstown State might just be that, led by school-record-touting senior quarterback Kurt Hess and lauded as a playoff contender. And, if there is an obvious letdown game on MSU’s schedule, this is it — the newness of the season having worn off by the third straight home game to start the season, a week before a trip to Notre Dame.

Why they won’t
These aren’t Jim Tressel’s Penguins. And while Hess returns, Youngstown State lost a three-time 1,200-yard rusher and a combined 107 starts along its offensive line.

Final analysis
MSU ought to be finding its way on offense by this point, some sort of rhythm emerging between its QB of choice and wideouts, the running back situation shaking itself out behind a veteran offensive line. The Spartans might roll into South Bend without being tested.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:31:15 PM by ysuindy »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Lansing State Journal early preview of YSU @ Sparty
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »
About what you would expect from fans of the pro teams that play on Saturdays.  Also, you would think that this guy might mention that competitive three quarters we played in East Lansing just two years ago.  I would have preferred to open the season again with this game, but I agree that playing it the week before MSU tackles Notre Dame is the second best situation for us.

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 03:48:43 PM »
I thought you had accidentally linked a Pitt board before last year's game.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:39:59 AM »
I thought you had accidentally linked a Pitt board before last year's game.
Yeah I forgot how cocky and uninformed that student writer was...good memories.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Michigan State based previews of YSU @ Sparty
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »
A blog preview of the game

http://www.darksideofgreen.com/2013/08/michigan-state-2013-previews-youngstown.html

Some pretty good links in there.  Their prediction 30-14.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Michgain State based previews of YSU @ Sparty
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 03:12:46 PM »
That was a fair enough assessment, tarnished only by the reference to the old days of mafia control.  Did anybody else find it odd that a writer based within the Detroit orbit would criticize another community?  Detroit's mobsters always made our punks look like the crime little leaguers that they actually were.  And have you ever seen some of the neighborhoods in Detroit?  By comparison, Youngstown is freakin' Paris.