Author Topic: Bob Boldon the new head coach at Ohio University  (Read 10902 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Bob Boldon the new head coach at Ohio University
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:27:05 AM »
WFMJ Sports is reporting that a press conference will be held today at 2:30 to name Bob Boldon the new head coach at Ohio University.... I kinda knew this was coming. Was hoping it wouldn't happen until next year but this hurts big time. Good luck to Bob though! Great coach

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bob Boldon the new head coach at Ohio University
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:51:03 AM »
Not surprised and wish him well and thanks for getting YSU back on the women's basketball map.  I suspect he will moving to bigger and better things in a few years.

But quite honestly, it sucks to lose a coach to a lower rated league.  Women's RPT had Horizon 13 and MAC 17.  Even allowing for the inflation to the Horizon rating from Green Bay, at best this should be a lateral move, but we know that financially it is not.

The next time anyone says YSU should join the MAC, just remember that Ohio U was able to offer our coach a big enough raise to get him to move.   

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »
Joe Scalzo's Twitter timeline gives you some more details - I am all about YSU coaches moving on to bigger and better things - it means we had successful teams - just wish I could get my arms around "better".

Joe Scalzo ‏@JoeScalzo1 5m
So Boldon, and his assistants, will get raises and a bigger budget to compete in a lower-ranked league.

Few more things to consider: OU's women's hoops budget: $1,388,109. YSU men's hoops budget: $1,075,158. YSU women's hoops budget: $830,397.

That doesn't mean Boldon shouldn't leave. He did a great job, taking over a mess and leaving behind a lot of talent. Best of luck to him.

I talked to one person on YSU's staff 2 weeks ago about whether he thought Boldon would leave. "It's always about the next job," he told me.

Ohio always seemed like the most logical spot for Boldon. Underachieving program the past five years under Semeka Randall.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:07:11 PM by ysuindy »

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »
Great coach, great guy. He will be missed.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 01:03:37 PM »
Bummer that he left so soon.  Now the part that worries me.  Does Strollo get it right like he did with Boldon and Lemke, or does he screw it up like with Hill, Martin, and Pasquale among others?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »
Well obviously we do not have the funds ..otherwise he would not leave us for an inferior program. Even so, this team is in much better shape now, than when he was hired. The new coach will have a better time of it. Which increases the likelihood of a "politically-correct" choice. Which the two prior coaches were.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 01:20:22 PM »
C'mon Strollo, don't screw this up. We have a talented team. Get it right

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »
As Indy pointed out, we just lost our coach to an inferior league because our program is so underfunded.  Folks, it does not have to be this way.  Football will always be well-funded and most of our Olympic sports will struggle financially.  That is a given.  We all know this.  But in regards to the basketball programs, there are two options.  First, we can pay our basketball coaches at the top of the mid-major scale and operate with a very lean athletic administration.  Second, we can pay our basketball coaches at the bottom of the mid-major scale and operate with a bloated athletic administration.  We chose the second option.  Whether that decision came from Strollo or someone higher up, it makes me furious.  Eliminating three or four administrators and diverting the funds could do wonders for both basketball programs.

Now we must squirm while Strollo makes yet another coaching selection.  I hope that IAA Fan is wrong and that Strollo has developed the ability to avoid the "politically correct" trap.  But I fear the worst.

Offline southbeach

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »
The dirty little secret of mid major athletic programs is that none of their programs make a profit and that includes football. Football generates plenty of cash flow but not nearly enough to cover the great expense of a football program. The big revenue generator at most schools at our level is the student fees that flow into the programs that keep them in the black. Lets bury the mith that football funds the other sports. Football doesn't fund itself!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
Dana Balash reporting Boldon to make $170k at OU.  55% increase from his $110k at YSU - not a hard decision.  But very indicative of the gulf between YSU and the MAC.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »
Actually Southbeach YSU does very well in football. We were #3 behind GSU and ASU in profitability for football only. That is about 3-year old data though, and a lot has changed.

Offline southbeach

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 05:45:35 PM »
Show me the data IAA. All those programs you mentioned are heavily subsidized by student fees to the tune of 50-73%. Ysu is also in that range. The detailed data that I have found I admit is dated show all those programs lost money on there football operations.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:53:32 PM »
Why have you guys turned this thread into football finances?  I never said football made money.  I just stated the obvious: football at YSU will dominate the available money and then I suggested a way to produce more funding for basketball.  Now back to women's hoops.

To comprehend the dangers of a "politically correct" coaching appointment, you need look no further than to the Horizon League this past season.  There were four male coaches in women's basketball.  Their teams finished 1, 2, 3 and 5 in the league standings.  Obviously, the five female coaches finished 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9.  Coincidence?  I doubt it.  There are good female basketball coaches, but their numbers are small.  Affirmative action has propelled DI assistants into head coaching jobs for which they were unqualified (ex. Tisha Hill.)  It has also advanced lower division head coaches into jobs in which they were overwhelmed (ex. Cindy Martin.)   Fortunately, with Strollo's decade-long record of selecting head coaches, we have nothing to worry about. :'(

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
I would like to know if he even talked to the AD about what it would take for him to stay. If he did not he is a bum and good ridden.

If he did try and Strollo did nothing then Strollo is a bum.

Either way he is gone and we need to pay what it takes to get an even better coach.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Lets_Talk

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 08:47:22 PM »
I cannot believe some of the comments I am reading in regards to Boldon leaving YSU. Well, I think more accurate would be to say I had hoped these kinds of comments would not be made. How can Boldon be faulted for going to OU? He rebuilt the YSU women's program in 3 years from 0-30 the year he arrived, to 20+ wins, the first EVER winning season in the HL, and a 1st round win in the WNIT.

This is really not hard to understand at all. OU has better facilities for basketball. The budget for their program is $500,000 more than at YSU. Boldon is going to be getting to go from making $110,000 a year to $170,000 a year. And, he gets to remain in Ohio. Also, OU is not all that far from Canton, where Boldon went to college. Whether people want to believe this or not, the schools in the MAC put forth the $$$$$ in ALL sports the schools offer. This is the #1 reason YSU is NOT in the MAC. Has nothing to do with conspiracy theories regarding KENT and Akron. It is YSU's failure to spend the money to meet the minimum requirements for athletic budgets in the MAC.

I think this also says alot about the OVERALL level of support for women's basketball at YSU, both from the University and community. It is pretty obvious Boldon seems to believe he has a better OPPORTUNITY to keep building his resume and having winning teams at OU. And, that most likely is because of the facilities, combined with the quality of the school and the commitment to the women's basketball program.

I do not know many people that would turn down a 50% plus increase in their own pay to go and do the same job for an employer that also offers better facilities, a larger budget, and more money to the person's staff. And, let's be honest, Youngstown is not exactly a place that people are going out of their way to move to. To me, the only thing difficult about this decision for Boldon was likely how he would tell the players at YSU, and maybe feeling on some level that he was letting them down. But, this is what coach's do in college. They change jobs often. Do not win enough, get fired/non-renewed. Win and turn that into a job at a school where opportunities to continue to win and make more $$$ are better.

I do NOT blame Ron Strollo for this. Nor do I blame Boldon for leaving. Ron can only do the best he can do with the budget he is given by the University. And, as long as the mindset of the people who support YSU with $$$$ is football, football, football, then YSU has very little chance of keeping any coach that has success. The thing is, they do not even have much chance of keeping a football coach that has success. If Wolford had backed up his brash talk with playoff teams the last 3 years, he'd be gone. I have no doubt about that. There are not many Jim Tressel's out there. And, in the case of Tressel, even he eventually left for bigger and better things.

I will end this post with something to think about. I understand people are rabid about football in Ytown. But, YSU plays FCS Football, and not many people give a damn about FCS football. But, people across the country do care about D1 basketball, and YSU is in a very good conference for basketball. Florida Gulf Coast has likely received more exposure the last 2 weeks than YSU received for all of their 1AA/FCA football titles COMBINED. That is just reality. People do not have to like it, but that does not change the reality. YSU is going to have a hard time hiring proven coach's in ALL sports and keeping  coach's when they have success. Everyone is saying Strollo "got it right" with Boldon. But, let's be honest, hiring Boldon was a "crap shoot". And, when Martin was hired, that looked like a great choice. Proven head coach at D2, with experience at major D1 programs as an assistant.

I wish Bob Boldon the best of success in his future, and hopefully YSU can roll the dice and come up lucky again with his replacement.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:48:25 PM by Lets_Talk »