Author Topic: Women's Horizon League Tourney  (Read 7387 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Women's Horizon League Tourney
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »
The women's tournament starts tonight and our lady penguins face off against Cleveland State who has played us tight both times this year. I'm hearing Brandi and Flagg will most likely play but Heidi is still doubtful. Gonna be fun to see how far this team can go! Hopefully we get a lot of people to come out and support our women!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Women's Horizon League Tourney
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »
Almost blew a 16 point second half lead but held on for a 69-62 win. Brown carried in the first half, both teams sluggish in the second. good game
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »
Another excellent job tonight.  Got sloppy with a sixteen point lead with about four minutes left, but beyond that a very good effort.  We missed seven uncontested layups, or this would have been a lot easier.  Great crowd: easily the best for a single women's game in a long, long time.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:53:53 PM »
We cannot do that again. I was worried when I saw we had CSU, as we just do not match up well with them. Thanks God we are past them.

Great to See coach D again, what a legend of the game.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:00:47 PM »
Brandi is just a beast. We get Loyola Friday night now. Split the season series against them so it should be a great game

Lets_Talk

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 03:37:03 AM »
Live out West, was not home and did not get to see the game on the internet. Was very happy to see YSU won.

What a season Brandi Brown has had, and she did it again with 31 points. So nice to see her back able to play after the injury at Detroit.  YSU - Loyola ought to be a very good game. Loyola has been playing very good the last 10 games, going 9-1 with the only loss being at GB. Simone Law is a very good player and she made a big difference for Loyola after returning from an injury. Hopefully YSU can get a victory and advance to the HL Finals for first time since joining the conference.

Was also nice to read that Coach "D" was honored at the game. Also glad he is healthy enough to see and enjoy the resurgence of the women's program!!

Read the Vindy article about the YSU-CSU womens game. Noticed that the fee to host a 1st round game in the WNIT is $6,500. Based on the crowd for the CSU game, I would say the administration owes it to this team to put up the $6,500 so YSU can host a game in the WNIT. If YSU is going to pay $35,000 or so for a game in the CIT for the men, then I see no way the administration can justify not spending $6,500 for a home game in the WNIT.

If the team plays at home, I think they could win a first round game in the WNIT. Would say alot about the school's commitment to basketball if YSU plays host to a game in BOTH the CIT and WNIT.

Does anyone close to people in the athletic administration know if there are plans to bid on hosting a first round game in the WNIT?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:11:59 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:43:34 AM »
I have no reliable information, but I feel confident that Strollo put in a bid to host the WNIT game.  The low price makes that the ultimate no-brainer.  I was delighted by the size (and enthusiasm) of the crowd yesterday.  Making $6,500 in gate receipts should be no problem.  But here is the problem.  The WNIT, unlike the men's CIT, will have a number of "name" teams from power conferences.  These entities will feel entitled to home games, deserving or not.  None of us really know who makes the decisions for the WNIT tournament.  I suspect that the power conferences will get their way.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »
This may help:

http://www.womensnit.com/postinfo.asp

2013 rules for WNIT.

I personally am holding out for the NCAA :)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 01:57:48 PM »
I'll say one thing. We can't afford to play like we did against Cle. St tomorrow vs Loyola, otherwise we will be in some trouble

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »
I have no reliable information, but I feel confident that Strollo put in a bid to host the WNIT game.  The low price makes that the ultimate no-brainer.  I was delighted by the size (and enthusiasm) of the crowd yesterday.  Making $6,500 in gate receipts should be no problem.  But here is the problem.  The WNIT, unlike the men's CIT, will have a number of "name" teams from power conferences.  These entities will feel entitled to home games, deserving or not.  None of us really know who makes the decisions for the WNIT tournament.  I suspect that the power conferences will get their way.
You are right Wick--we have put in a bid to host an NIT game. Announcement somewhere around 9-10 PM Monday night.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »
Wick and IP, thank you for the information.

I do understand that the WNIT is a higher level of tournament than the CIT, and that the so called power conference schools will be pushing to host games. I just wanted to be sure YSU put in a bid to host a game, and if the powers that be running the WNIT see fit to award YSU a home game, then they get a home game.

With YSU having an RPI of 71, and the HL at 14th, I do think there is an outside chance YSU could host a home game, possibly against a school from the MAC(18th), Colonial(13th), Patriot(15th), Northeast(24th), OVC(29th).... Eastern Illinois won the OVC regular season, but not the tournament, so they may well end up in the WNIT. EIU has an RPI of 135, so the WNIT would definately be justified in having EIU play at YSU, and that would be a nice match-up geographically. Guess we will know in a few days??

GO PENGUINS!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:56:15 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »
Big game tonight against Loyola who we beat easily at our place but lost to them later in the season and now they are playing some great ball. We have to be able to make some 3's in order to win this game. Should be a good one! GO GUINS!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 06:52:32 PM »
We are getting kicked around. Almost out of it at the half. Darn ...we need that final for a shot at the NCAA's. Let's go Lady Pens!!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »
What a horrible time to play your worst game!!! Oh well. GB wasn't gonna lose anyway. Gotta regroup, rest and get ready for the WNIT

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
Nothing you can really say.  Everything malfunctioned.  We really miss Schegel against teams with size in the post.  The fact that shooting from Hornberger and Touvelle disappeared in the past week did not help either.  If you are looking for a silver lining, here it is.  If a big time program had Boldon on their radar, the blip just went out (at least for this year.)