Author Topic: YSU to host game in CollegeInsider.com tournament  (Read 30500 times)

Lets_Talk

Re: YSU to host game in CollegeInsider.com tournament
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 11:18:41 PM »
Wick250, thank you for the info. Would be great if the HL pays the fee. Enables YSU to play in a post-season tournament that ought to help with recruiting. Also gives the seniors at least one more home game. And, in a tournament like this, YSU might be able to win a few games. I also agree with you and the others who have said playing in any post-season tournament at this point is great for the program.

Maybe YSU can get a 1st round game against a team from the MAC, which ought to help with attendance. Thanks again for the response, and also thank you to YsuIndy for all the info on the tournament.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:23:23 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 12:10:33 AM »
The "Everybody Gets a Participation Trophy" Tourney is coming to Youngstown!!

Are they inviting YSU Intramural Champions too? They deserve a trophy too. They worked hard too. Their feelings shouldn't get hurt.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 01:01:02 AM »
Costs 35,000 to host this game.... Gonna need a lot more than 2,000 people to come out for this one. Hopefully they can win a few games

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 01:50:28 AM »
Let the kids play more games.  Some of these guys may not get another chance like this.  Even if they are pretty much a 14-15 win team.  It's not the kids who do the scheduling.

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 02:35:38 AM »
Never heard of this tournament..... Ever
Good. Stay home.

I see you're still an asshat.  Do you have to make a smartass remark to everyone? 

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 09:52:55 AM »
Good. Stay home.

I see you're still an asshat.  Do you have to make a smartass remark to everyone?
Yes I am still an asshat. And yes I make smartass remarks to those who earn them. Like you. Now go back to working on your truck.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »
The "Everybody Gets a Participation Trophy" Tourney is coming to Youngstown!!

Are they inviting YSU Intramural Champions too? They deserve a trophy too. They worked hard too. Their feelings shouldn't get hurt.
Hilarious!!!.....not.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 10:28:27 AM »
This tournament seems to be the equivalent of those minor bowl football games that take the DI "pretenders" each December.  In the long term, playing in this often would not bestow much prestige on the program.  However, in the short term, playing in any kind of DI tournament for the first time ever is a very good thing.

Wick - 148 teams will play in one of the four post-season tournaments (NCAA, NIT, CBI and CIT).  Your analogy seems spot on, except playing in this tournament is a heckuva lot cheaper than playing in a bowl game.

Its not where we want YSU to be at this time of the year, but it is better than not playing at all.  At least one more game for the seniors, at least one more week of practice (just like football coaches like those extra practices) and some more exposure for the program.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »
Green Bay also playing in the tournament.  They will be a road team.  Rider is also in as a road team.

Other home teams announced to date are Canisius, Loyola (MD) and Bradley.

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
Good. Stay home.

Yes I am still an asshat. And yes I make smartass remarks to those who earn them. Like you. Now go back to working on your truck.

Wow that one hurt.  You should have been banned a long time ago.  You contribute nothing to this board but insults to other posters. 

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 05:32:40 PM »
Why the hell are people complaining about some more basketball for this team.  I for one am excited for another men's game at Beeghly Center.  My 11 month old daughter enjoys the hoops games :) She's becoming a chip off the hold block.

Offline GoGuins2010

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »
Only in Youngstown can anyone find something negative about YSU participating in their first Division I Post Season Basketball Tournament.

You people complain non-stop about the budget and then when YSU does pay to host something that's a positive for the University and basketball program, people actually have the nerve to bash it.

You people look at $35,000 as if it is a significant amount of money. YSU's athletics budget is $11.96 million for 2013. To put this in perspective, this accounts for .0029% of it's 2013 budget.

I would say $35,000 is a very worthy investment for a basketball program that has never made a post season tournament. But only a simpleton couldn't see that.

Stay negative Youngstown!!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »
As much as I am not a fan of Slocum and Strollo hats off to them for getting us in the CIT.  I am sure we have the $35k available probably using some of the cash from the BCS games we have played in football.   This should be a good recruiting tool telling recruits we are in a post season tourney and also valuable experience for the underclassmen.  YSU needs to market this game really heavy on local TV and 570 WKBN.  Hopefully we can get a good fan turnout. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
I don't understand why getting into the turney is a negative. Slocum has at least made us respectable.  We arre on a Dollar General Budget and we went from being one of the worst D1 programs to getting an invite to a tournament.  Its EXPOSURE and it will be worth every penny.  Great job guys and good luck!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline GoGuins2010

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 09:45:41 PM »
Agree 100% Go. It's pathetic the negative mentality people from Youngstown seem to have. I've traveled a lot of places and still consider Ytown home, but by God the negativity of anything positive. People wonder why Ytown has the problems that it does.

We were one of the worst basketball teams in America before Slocum took over. Now we have back-to-back winning seasons, and our first post season basketball appearance in Division I history. And people still nag at the negative. Good God, what is wrong with this area?