Author Topic: YSU vs Green Bay  (Read 11490 times)

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs Green Bay
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »
Slocum has taken YSU from the bottom of the Horizon to the middle the last 2 seasons.  Penguins are a tough out for any conference teams and we could not have said that a few years ago.   Who would of thought YSU could defeat GW and Georgia in back to back games on the road ?      A few short years ago those games would have been ugly blowouts.    We're competitive but not yet a championship contender.   I'm trying to be positive but see 2 out of 3 losses in final 3 games.

Sitting here in sunny Florida I give any YSU coach credit for recruiting kids to Ytown.   Love Youngstown but let's be real.    The nucleus of Perry, Hain,Cole,and belin should be solid.  Hopefully the kid that RS from Indy along with the frosh coming in from Texas will give us fire power next season.

Jeff Covington is not walking through the door!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 10:36:54 AM »
For the record I'm against getting rid of Coach Slocum.  And yes, let's be realistic the other teams in the league continue to improve too.  I'm overjoyed at our road record.  Still for the second year in a year I think we will have a winning  record, and be a tough out in the Horizon tourney.  A new coach would be starting over again, and I'm not for that.  It is whaat it is, and a few more recruits along the same line as Hahn and Weber get us there!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »
I think we are suffering (somewhat) the same issue we have been with 2012 football. Our expectations were too high. Although, I think we have the talent and I am somewhat disappointed with several performances in games this year.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
Losing to Green Bay was expected, once I read Eargle would not play. Brown will most likely be playing in the NBA in 1-2 years, UWGB has a few other big bodies inside, and their coach has done a nice job building a competitive team, with a budget similar to that of YSU. These teams are very similar. They can play with and beat ANY team in the HL when on their game. When not on their game, they can lose to any team.

Losing to UIC was disappointing, because the game was at home. And, when UIC made the decision not to foul with a 3 point lead at end of 1st OT, and instead let KP take a shot for the tie, I figured YSU would win in the 2nd OT. Will never understand why so many coaches opt not to foul in those kind of situations, when up 3 and very little time left on the clock???

I think some of the complaints regarding Slocum are justified. Teams he has coached at YSU do seem to play quite poorly in Feb and March. They also do not have much of an offense, and tend to rely to much on making 3 point shots. That is great when players are hitting their shots. But, it is a recipe for disaster when the team is having a poor shooting night. As far as getting rid of Slocum, it is not going to happen. I see Slocum being at YSU until he decides he has had enough. See no way YSU will get a coach of his caliber with the budget. Not only is Slocum the lowest paid coach in the HL, the COMBINED salaries of the assistant coaches is pathetic. My guess is Slocum would gladly keep his pay at the same level in return for more pay for the assistants and more money for recruiting.

YSU is now 15-12/7-7, although only 12-12 against D1 teams. But, as was stated, they beat GW and Georgia on the road. They beat Valpo and WSU at home. For the most part, they now beat the teams they are expected to beat, BOTH home and away. The major problem still seems to be with the games in which the 2 teams are about even, especially late in the season.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:03:48 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 05:35:13 PM »
I'm disapointed with about 5-6 games I thought could have and should have been wins.  18-20 wins would have been a nice result.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 06:02:25 PM »
DMorton, I agree with you 100%. Think that is what makes following this team so frustrating. Then again, they also could have easily lost BOTH games against Loyola. Also squeaked out a win at UWM.

With that being said, a good argument can be made that these 3 games never ought to have been close enough for YSU to be in danger of losing. But, the HL is a very competitive league. I think what may be making some people see this as a disappointing season, is the way YSU started. The wins at GW and Georgia set people's expectations very high.

I really do not believe there is a dominant tam in the HL this year. And, the only really, really bad team is UWM.