Author Topic: Jerry Slocum  (Read 15981 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Jerry Slocum
« on: February 10, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »
He has to go. The guy has had 1 winning season since he's been here... The talent is here. Today's game vs UIC, we didn't score our first field goal until almost the 11 minute mark!! His offense looks like a middle school team. Pass around the perimiter and set picks. Slocum doesn't use his bench as much as he should. His choice of lineups throughout the game is mind boggling. He has to go. Get somebody in here younger that can actually lead this program... This team will go nowhere with him as head coach. The talent is here to win, he needs to make it happen
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:19:02 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Jerry Slocum
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
Once again we screw the pooch at home when we have a chance to make some noise in the league.  Can this team play any worse at home.  No continuity on offense, poor free throw shooting and lack of effort on the boards.   This game should have been over at half time, but YSU keep turning the ball over repeatedly to keep UIC hanging around.  Maybe we should schedule all our games on the road.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 05:15:29 PM »
This loss today was all on Slocum. He's a bum

Offline Wonderball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
He left Eargle in the game way too long with how poorly he was playing and could have used Hain who has proven he can play and score. Weber came in and was really good again and he doesnt play much in the second half until we need his fouls?? Come on coach get your head out of your backside and quit playing your starters just because... your team is better than this but you arent.

Offline southbeach

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 05:36:17 PM »
The biggest problem today is that I watched 55 min of absolutely horrible basketball. That's the third game in a row that the team is just going through the motions. Reminds me of the three games in Pittsburgh.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 05:49:37 PM »
Slocum needs to go

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 05:51:28 PM »
Of course this subject is purely academic since we all know that the university lacks the funds to release any coach prematurely.  With that understanding, what are the merits of 0505's suggestion?  Slocum is an average coach who elevated this program from doormat status into mediocrity.  That was no small accomplishment.  Now if we induce him into retirement when his contract expires, will the new coach turn mediocre into good, or will the program plummet back into oblivion?  I just do not know.  I guess right now I would vote for the status quo.  But I am the wrong person to ask since men's basketball ranks third on my personal pyramid of YSU athletics, behind women's hoops.

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »
No joke Slocum needs to go.  Slocum is now 0-3 in overtime games this year alone with two loses at home.  I believe his overall overtime record is 2-10.  That tells you how bad he gets out coached in the crunch. 
His substitutions make no sense at all.  Eargle should have sat down and never played since he was so aweful today.  I'd rather see freshman in the game with something to prove than Eargle who has just completely fell apart.  We lost the game at the foul line and because of Slocum. The team is tired and out of gas because he plays the starters too much.  He is a horrible bench coach. 

We may beat Milwaukee Friday but then lose the remainder 3 conf. games to finish 7-9 in the league.  How disgusting.   

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 06:02:43 PM »
He gets out coached all the time!!! His play calling is average AT BEST. The talent is here guys. Eargle was 1-9 from the FT, getting dominated in the paint, yet he leaves him in. No Hain, no Weber who played great when he was in. When YSU was down and needed to score... Eargle was still in!!!! He can't shoot either. If it wasn't for KP just taking over, this game wouldn't have been close. Kam fouling out hurt as well.... Slocum needs to go back to D2

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »
IMO after being an attending fan for 46 years, I would say, put more money into the program,
or do away with it.

I cannot completely blame Coaching Staff.

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 01:26:10 AM »
Maybe Strollo should go, he's the one that hires these coaches and keeps giving them extensions.  Why does he always get a pass?

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 01:37:03 AM »
Maybe Slocum gets an extension after this year if he gives his son a scholarship..........

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »
I agree with GoGuins, Strollo needs to go.  Under his leadership all of our sports programs have fallen into mediocrity.  All coaching hires (maybe with the exception of the new girls BB coach) have not worked out.  Even with upgrated pay for the football coaching staff it is starting to look like Wolf is not going to get it done.  We pay enough now that we can get better. 

Nothing personel against Strollo, he had his change but has not performed up to most fans expectations.  We need to bring in an AD that wants to win not just build facilities.  Kent State did that several years ago and look at the success they had this year. 

I truly believe that if the leadership in the AD is not changed nothing will change except less fan support.  The excitement and renewed belief in the FB program is fading and attendance will be down this year.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 10:53:05 AM »
Only thing Strollo has done is upgrade the facilities and hire Boldon

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »
Well it has become a two-part discussion here:

Strollo: You cannot say that "all he has done is upgrade facilities and Hire Bolden". That is quite a bit in itself. I remember when Narduzzi had to go out an come up the the matching funds himself for the "Ice Castle". Yes I agree that recent emphasis has been placed on women's and Olympic sports ...but the results have been exceptional. In fact, football really is the only sport that we are not substantially better in ...since the time he came on board. My suggestion would be to really have a director of football operations. Make it more of an AAD job. Our facilities are tops and even more on the way.

Slocum: I cannot say he needs to go. I think he has earned the right to go at his own decision. Whether this is the performance we want or not ...most of us want more than we are going to get as a football school. I would like to play as we are now all of the time, and see an occasional post-season or preseason tournament. Let's be realistic:

1. No other team in this conference has a football team and their success is not much better than our (in basketball) over the past few years. Look at Wright and Green Bay. Look at Loyola living off of success that ended in the 70's. Look at Valpo struggling since they joined the Horizon. "This ain't the Mid-Con any more". Most of us are upset because we really expected more from this particular group of players.

2. It is not Slocum that makes us shoot under 50% from the line. I saw Slocum & the assistants yelling for someone to foul at the end of regulation ...instead, UIC drilled one on us. You can argue about bench play all you want. However, the truth is, we have not been able to recruit that kind of depth until the Butler runs, which is quite recent ...and I would have to argue that Slocum made the most of it. I mean we were not even an after-thought for the NCAA's, and Slocum was on 3-major TV/radio programs talking about Butler, the Horizon League, and YSU. I would also take a look at who our 1's & 2's are now, compared to the beginning of the season. Then you will see we have had good bench production. If fact they are now 1's.

Now I could be a no-nothing fan when it comes to basketball ...but I think your arguments should have been made years ago ...which they were. Right now, I am not sure that I would want anyone else. I do completely agree that players should be sitting when they are ineffective for long periods of time.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:32:57 PM by IAA Fan »