Author Topic: St. Francis (0-2) at Youngstown State (2-0)  (Read 10100 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
St. Francis (0-2) at Youngstown State (2-0)
« on: November 14, 2012, 11:25:59 PM »
The men will host St. Francis Friday night.

The Red Flash are 0-2, losing at Penn State 65-58 and at Niagara 86-69.

Pomeroy puts YSU at a 91% chance of winning and predicts a 74-59 win.

Sagarin's ratings are still early and predict a 21 point YSU win at home.  The home court advantage in Sagarin is currently worth 5 1/2 points, one of the higher numbers I recall.

Massey, again very early, has YSU ranked 86th, St. Francis ranked 394th.  Massey gives YSU a 92% chance of winnng and predicts a 76-59. 

YSU must avoid the let down from a couple of big road wins.  Coming home and being a heavy favorite has not always worked well for YSU.  The next step in the growth of this team is to take care of business at home in comfortable fashion.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: St. Francis (0-2) at Youngstown State (2-0)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:55:07 AM »
Nice write up Indy, thanks.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »
I don't see any reason YSU can't empty the bench down the stretch in this one on Friday Night.  This just feel's like it has the making of one of those seasons where you think this team can win everytime out, home or on the road.  Still not buying into the UWGB hype machine...I think this is a three team league between Valpo, Detroit, and our Penguins.  I would put Loyola ahead of UWGB when it's all said and done and I feel Cleveland State will scuffle. 

I'm interested to see how Valpo looks today vs a bottom-feeder, but yet what should be a well coached Big Ten team today in Nebraska.

Offline Wonderball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
Maybe if the coaching staff had used the recruited talent they have on the bench the starters wouldnt have given up 10 points in the last 2 minutes. It is a travesty that there are players who dont get a sniff at the court who were highly recruited when some of our starters are just mediocre on offense especially. We should be subbing 10 deep on this team and we have a coach who is old school archaic and wont use the people he recruited. I am afraid we will see the transfer bus revved up at the end of this season if it continues. Kids who have alot of offers and places to go should get a chance on the court when we are up by 20 points. Pitiful....

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
Looked flat in the 1st half, defense sparked the run in the 2nd.

Did not play that great but still won, I can live with that
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 10:09:34 PM »
Not sure how good Penn State is but they only beat St.Francis by 7 points--we are definitely off to a great start this season. ;)

Lets_Talk

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
A win is a win.... YSU is 3-0, with all three wins over D1 teams, including 2 on the road, and one against a team from the SEC!!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 01:09:55 AM »
Hope they start getting bigger crowds, if they keep playing this well!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 02:19:33 AM »
As for the crowds, hard to get bigger crowds until HL games start with this home schedule. Money is tight for alot of people. Games can be watched live on the internet, not to mention being able to listen on the radio, and/or watch the replay(for people in Ytown/Warren) later the same day.

This is a fun team to watch. A team that ought to be top3-4 in the HL. But, how can people be expected to pay $10 for GENERAL ADMISSION($12 on game day), along with $5 for parking to go and watch YSU win by 30-50 points against Geneva, Hiram and Marygrove? The ONLY game worthy of paying to see until January is next Wednesday against KENT.

I feel for the coaching staff and the players. But, this is what you get when a school puts so much emphasis on FCS football, and then cannot offer quality D1 opponents enough money to come play at YSU. And, with the progress the program has made, it is understandable that schools who once saw YSU as a push-over want no part of playing in Beeghly Center. Basketball can be a money making sport at YSU, but not as long as the current "powers that be" are in charge of the Athletic Department, and the school has a President and Board that do not realize all of the untapped potential for YSU basketball. NOT saying YSU has to demphasize football. Nor does YSU have to be at the top of the HL in terms of budget. But, look at what Coach Slocum is starting to build with the 2nd lowest budget in the HL. And, look at what Coach Boldon is doing. Just imagine if there were TRULY an emphasis placed on being a top 1-4 HL program. Especially with Butler no longer in the conference.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 08:01:38 AM »
I was at the game last night. SF was better than their 0-2 record indicated. They played a very tight defense in the 1st half and we had trouble getting open shots from the outside. Everyone of Eargle’s inside shots was contested. We started to pull away in the second half for two main reasons. First, SF players could not keep up with the fast pace on their high pressure defense. They were a step slower. YSU (especially Blake Allen) was getting open shots without any defender within 3 feet of him. Of course, hitting 15 of 16 FT helped us. In the past, with our poor FT shooting, we would have scored 7 points less making this a much tighter game. The other possible reason for our surge in the 2nd half was that Slocum had made the adjustments to free up Blake for the 3 (most, if not all, of his 3’s were taken from the same spot at the right-front  side of the basket). This could not have been accidental. The couch must have diagrammed the plays. I am going to the football game this afternoon. I hope our coaches could make similar adjustments against ISU and bring home the win. Go Penguins.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »
Understood about the crappy out of conf. home schedule and the economy.  These teams need more fan support than what the get after beating an SEC school and the road record they have.  Kent St. should be a good baromter for what crowds may come later in the season.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
i am here to tell you this, and believe me.
We, my dear life mate and I, have done BB since
1963 (only missed 3 years till now).  One thing
I can guarantee IF YOU WIN, THEY WILL COME.

Dom Rosselli, (dear Dom Rosselli) drew crowds that
made more noise than you could stand (myself
among them).  Fans in Youngstown of YSU, are fans
of winning teams ONLY, save and except for US
devoted fans, they will never get the message, they
do not know the meaning of LOYALTY.

GO PENGUINS

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »

This is a fun team to watch. A team that ought to be top3-4 in the HL. But, how can people be expected to pay $10 for GENERAL ADMISSION($12 on game day), along with $5 for parking to go and watch YSU win by 30-50 points against Geneva, Hiram and Marygrove? The ONLY game worthy of paying to see until January is next Wednesday against KENT.

12 bucks is on the steep side for me. I really think they would make more money with lower prices to get more people to come.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

DefendYoungstown

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 11:39:25 PM »
I have to agree. $12 is simply too much for a General Admission ticket. $7-10 is more appropriate.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »
I have to agree. $12 is simply too much for a General Admission ticket. $7-10 is more appropriate.
These will all be giant eagle 2-for-1 games ...so how does $6 sound?