YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU - Ind St.

<< < (5/5)

Double ET:
I am all for playing FBS teams. We don’t live in an idealistic world anymore. In this tough economic time, YSU needs the money (with all the cuts in state funding). Furthermore, we offer our players to have the opportunities to experience the atmosphere of playing in the “big time” program in front of over 100,000 people. Many players have personally told me that. This is not any different from other YSU’s academic teams. We regularly put our student academic teams up against top schools in the country and we were never overmatched. The YSU name recognition gained by the exposure in front of national media is immeasurable. Its positive impact cannot be under- estimated. It helps us to recruit both students and players.

OleYSUfan:
I agree with Double ET, The money games are extremely important to our economics to run the whole athletic department. It is also extremely vital for our recruiting, if we just played FCS teams and the likes of Valpo our recruiting would be sub par and probably put us at the bottom of the MVFC. We would also have a home attendance drop.

In fact; I'm an advocate of scheduling 2 FBS teams every other year, student athletics want to play against well known teams to see if they can compete at that level. If we win, then we get recognized by the media which then improves our status to the many football analysts. This builds the school's reputation.   

Lets_Talk:
First off, YSU needs to win on Saturday, or all the playoff discussion is mute. Given the way this team has performed against the top teams in the MFVC this year, and under Woolford, that will be a HUGE task. And, we all remember what happened last year in the final game of the season, against a much lesser opponent than Indy State.

As for the CAA, it is likely they will get at most 2-3 teams in the playoffs this year. Alot of great points have been made about "money games", and also about teams in the MVFC beating each other up. Such is the nature of being in the top conference in the country. A win for YSU gives the team a slim hope. A win for Indy State is a guarantee for a playoff spot. In most seasons, YSU at 7-4 with a win over PITT would be a sure at large selection. But, unfortunately, this is not most years. With this projected field, EKU(8-3) at #15 in GPI is left out of the playoffs. Stony Brook(9-2 with a win over Army) and #23 in GPI is left out. Nova at 8-3 with a win over Delaware on Saturday and #22 in GPI is left out. Richmond, which will be 8-3 with a win over Willaim & Mary(2-8) and at #24 GPI is left out. YSU is presently #21 in the GPI. Most likely scenario even if YSU wins, would be EKU(#15 in GPI) replacing Indy State, with YSU being one of the last teams left out. Hope I'm wrong..... GO PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets_Talk:
Sorry for another post. But, for those not wishing to use the link, here is how College Sporting News projects the field for the playoffs. CSN is NOT the selction committee. These are just projections. But, the GPI is used as part of the selction process, and I thought this would be interesting to show the impact the auto-bid leagues with champions that have low ratings in the GPI have on the playoff field:
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?241-Nov.-14-Playoff-Projections

1. N Dakota St (9) (1.00)   MVFC   #1
2. Montana St (2.29)   Big Sky   #2
3. Sam Houston St (3.14)   At-Large #1   #3
4. E Washington (5.00)   At-Large #2   #4
5. Ga Southern (7.00)   SoCon   #5
6. Illinois St (8.29)   At-Large #3   Home 2nd
7. Indiana St (10.14)   At-Large #4   Home 2nd
8. Cent Arkansas (10.57)   Southland   Home 2nd
9. S Dakota St (11.43)   At-Large #5   Road 2nd
10. Cal Poly (11.86)   At-Large #6   Road 2nd
11. Old Dominion (12.14)   At-Large #7   Road 2nd