Author Topic: Video: Gillispie Recaps YSU Fall Baseball Season  (Read 2707 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Video: Gillispie Recaps YSU Fall Baseball Season
« on: November 01, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »

I have very solid impressions of coach Gillispie so far. Some items that stick out:

-He let everyone play their existing positions for the start of fall camp, then let them try other, that he felt might be more natural. No strength training during allowed practice time.

-Very impressed with the pitching staff. He says they should have 5 or 6 guys around 90mph by spring. Plans on a 10+man rotation. He thinks he may be able to have as many as 12. Which is exactly what we need to compete in the 3-game series & tournaments.

-He grades the players, just like a minor-league coach would do. I really like that.

-He is focusing on roster first, then league competition, then non-league equal competition, then National caliber clubs.

-He thinks the team is really under-performing in most all stats, for the level of talent we have. He cannot believe the record last year from just what he has seen so far.

As a person, he seems very frank, and intelligent. Likes his staff & what they are able to do for him. The recruiting abilities have stretched from coast-coast.

I know it is football season; but I am a baseball fan, and enjoy any sport that is played by the red & white.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Video: Gillispie Recaps YSU Fall Baseball Season
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »
One thing I might point out ...coach W ...he is complimentary to the previous staff, the players they were able to bring, and the work ethic he has seen so far. You should have gotten this lesson. Yes he thinks that they underperformed last year ...maybe he does not realize the level of talent in the Horizon league, maybe he does. In any case, nice guy, give you some specifics, and realize the potential in what he has, as opposed to reinventing the wheel. So let's review:

1. He keeps the most popular coach among the players ...and by far, the most talented.
2. He compliments the players, not pushed 1/2 of them out the door.
3. He compliments the previous staff, after all, they moved on to bigger things than he ...and Gillispie realizes that these players may have liked the previous staff, & even hired one of them.
4. The first thing on his list of priorities was learning about his players, and the players learning about him.

My favorite quote "we tried to keep things simple, but multiply the reps. Get as many reps on a fewer number of things in the fall so we can get those locked in & become real familiar with that. Because that's how the game is played, it's not brain surgery".
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:10:12 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Video: Gillispie Recaps YSU Fall Baseball Season
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »
This could be a solid program for us. I think the city would get behind a strong team if they played downtown.